What to fill a keel with?

Jan 25, 2017
Macgregor V222 Kentucky Lake
So I've been wondering, what do I fill the big hole in my keel with? Trust me, I've read all the post and am overly prepared to drop the keel on my V222. I have it on blocks, I have built a travel lift / gallows and have a nice modified furniture dolly to move it once dropped. I understand I need to grind out the old fiberglass filler, sand blast or grind all the rust off the iron portion, paint the iron with rust resistant paint and pack it with "filler", cover with fiberglass cloth, paint and paint again. Simple, right? Of course, but I have no idea what to use to fill the large holes once prepaired.
IMG_5436.PNG

I pretty handy with fiberglass resin and "bondo type" filler, but this is going to take a bunch of filler. My neighbor says there are some great resins out there that might fit the bill, but does anyone have any ideas? What can I get by the gallon? Thanks and fair winds.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Looks cavernous. "...by the gallon." Any idea about the volume of empty space in there?

Jan 25, 2017
Once I get it off this weekend I'll have a better idea. But I'm guessing at least a gallon or two.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
So I've been wondering, what do I fill the big hole in my keel with? ....
I'm having a hard time seeing how deep the holes are in the picture. What is the depth of them?

I'd take a good look at this product Evercoat Tiger Hair ...

https://www.amazon.com/Fibreglass-E...rd_wg=SawOD&psc=1&refRID=52D2YPN0K5HVHG4C5AKV

It is a long strand high strength waterproof filler. Good stuff,

Sumner
==============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jan 25, 2017
That looks like what I need Sumner. I can tell you that the depth is at least an inch, even two. It goes all the way down to the iron itself. I'll look this stuff up. Thanks again and I'll keep you in the loop.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
once off, weigh it. I am unfamiliar with this keel, but it looks like some ballast was lost.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Tiger hair is polyester resin based. Maybe it would work just fine but I would think an epoxy bond would be stronger.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Tiger hair is polyester resin based. Maybe it would work just fine but I would think an epoxy bond would be stronger.
Agreed that epoxy might be stronger but I've never seen a high fill epoxy filler other than primers. Might be one out there?

1" to 2" is a lot of fill depth. Going to need the area cleaned well and sanded/ground with something to give a lot of tooth for the filler to grip and they say to not fill the whole depth in one layer but to layer it. Not a lot of mechanical strength needed for the repair but still the depth might present a problem. Guess the worst that happens is that it fails at some point but that wouldn't be a safety issue. I'd be tempted to drill and tap and put some screws in also leaving the heads 1/4 inch short of the finished surface. That would give the Evercoat something to hang onto also. I've used the short hair Evercoat on car body work and it isn't as strong as the Tiger Hair and have never had it fail, but also never more than 1/4" deep at the very deepest,

Sumner
================================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...

Jan 25, 2017
Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep everyone updated. I plan to wrestle it off soon. Another quick question, if one side is ok (and I belive it is aside from a couple of small cracks), am I ok to grind out the crack and just apply some filler? Seems like the rust wouldn't stop on one side. But, I think I already know the answer. Once comprimised, I suppose it's all comprimised and it will just be a matter of time until the corrosion worsens (even if unvisable on the good side, science says it's there too) and the cloth pops... I also suspect if we are primarly using her as a trailer sailor this could be a long time, especially if I apply a couple of coats of good bottom paint and repair the current delamination.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
....especially if I apply a couple of coats of good bottom paint and repair the current delamination.
If you are referring to 'bottom paint' as a paint that will inhibit growth then that paint won't stop further corrosion. You need to put on some coats of an epoxy barrier paint to work against corrosion. Then bottom anti-fouling over that if needed.

I think the problem might be getting a good clean surface with 'tooth' in it for any filler to have a chance of lasting. I'd recommend getting it sandblasted to achieve that. The sandblasting would also be good before the epoxy barrier paint goes on.

I used Sea Hawk's Tuff Stuff for barrier paint on both of our boats. Goes on thicker so you don't need as many coats. I'd still put on 3 for the keel after doing all the other work you need to do to it.....

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/end-1/endeavour-outside-mods/page-1.html

Sumner
===================================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
once off, weigh it. I am unfamiliar with this keel, but it looks like some ballast was lost.
:plus:
If you really think there is a gallon of fill space or more, how about concrete? Clean out the rust, naval jelly, and fill with concrete. Then, glass it in and cover the outside with a barrier paint before painting with bottom paint. If you want even more ballast, melt lead into the cavity.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 25, 2017
I like the sound of this. Will it have the "bite" needed though? It is a bit "grittier" than normal filler. I like the idea of driving some bolts into the iron to provide some grab. Does anyone else have an opinion on the concrete? Should I use regular or fero?

sporgo

Feb 2, 2015
Catalina 22 Crystal River
I have used concrete in a keel in the past and it worked perfectly. Simply fill the void let it cure and glass over it. No need for bolts it will take the shape of the void and be impossible to dislodge.