What to do with the old rigging?

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
I've got a big ole box of shiny new standing rigging for my ketch.
I've also got a big ole box of crusty, rusty old standing rigging.
Any suggestions for a practical, non-load bearing use for the old rigging? Even though it's no longer suitable for it's original purpose it just seems a waste to bin it.
I've also got a big pile of the old running rigging but there's always a use for extra line on a boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When we finished with my rigging the rigger took the 40 year old wire to a smelter to recycle.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I always keep either a headstay or upper shroud as a spare in case I need one when sailing for from a rigger. With Norseman fittings, all I need to keep is cones and some spare wire. Of course, none of my wire is rusty or crusty so I'm confident the old piece will hold up until we get to a rigger.
Alternately, if it is small enough, it makes very good dinghy locking cable. 1X19 is very hard to cut without the proper cutters. Just crimp a couple of small loops for the weak link, the padlocks, and your dink will be as secure as possible.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I always keep either a headstay or upper shroud as a spare in case I need one when sailing for from a rigger. With Norseman fittings, all I need to keep is cones and some spare wire. Of course, none of my wire is rusty or crusty so I'm confident the old piece will hold up until we get to a rigger.
Alternately, if it is small enough, it makes very good dinghy locking cable. 1X19 is very hard to cut without the proper cutters. Just crimp a couple of small loops for the weak link, the padlocks, and your dink will be as secure as possible.
And if you strip the core out of some old line, and run the wire through before you crimp the ends, makes a very surprising deterrent to thieves- I found at least one who wound up with a VERY dull knife :)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
And if you strip the core out of some old line, and run the wire through before you crimp the ends, makes a very surprising deterrent to thieves- I found at least one who wound up with a VERY dull knife :)
What a grand idea, thanks!

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Who the heck is stealing old line? Oh... dumb thieves!

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Who the heck is stealing old line? Oh... dumb thieves!
While my masts are down someone helped themselves to the furling line that was coiled up and tied off the the drum. By the way the cut off piece they left behind it appears they used a dull hacksaw blade to cut it with so I know they are a brain dead POS.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Perhaps the most seamanlike recycling plan would be to grow some hops :beer:
If Seaman-like is desired, then you need to grow "sugar cane" to make RUM. Mix with water and you have a ration of "Navy Grog".
Grog is any of a variety of alcoholic beverages. The word originally referred to a drink made with water and rum, which British Vice Admiral Edward Vernon introduced into the naval squadron he commanded in the West Indies on 21 August 1740.​

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
If Seaman-like is desired, then you need to grow "sugar cane" to make RUM. Mix with water and you have a ration of "Navy Grog".
Grog is any of a variety of alcoholic beverages. The word originally referred to a drink made with water and rum, which British Vice Admiral Edward Vernon introduced into the naval squadron he commanded in the West Indies on 21 August 1740.​
Ooh - good point. For sugar cane, I suppose we're probably out of luck here in the PNW. I suppose we'll have to make do with pinot. :)