What size are H31 cabin top winches?

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
I am in Florida for the winter and my boat is in Canada. I am looking at getting a self tailing winch for the starboard cabin top for the main sheet and main halyard. Can someone tell me what size winch I should be looking for? I was thinking maybe a Lewmar 30 but am wondering if that may be too big. Thanks for any insight on this. Reg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My B323 has 4 of those 30ST 2-speeds, and seem right for the job.

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
Thanks Ron, That info confirms that the Lewmar 30 has the power to do the job. I am still hoping for a response from someone who has a H31 due to the fact that space is rather tight where the winch goes on the cabin top right aft of the line clutches so the winch is rather close to the line clutch. I have no way of knowing how high the base of the existing winch is and the diameter compared to the Lewmar 30 and whether or not any difference in height would matter. All these factors considered, it would be nice to get a response from someone who actually has a H31 with a Lewmar 30 or similar ST winch on the cabin top.

Nov 26, 2014
HUNTER h31 Northport L.I.
I have an 87 model H31 and it came with maxwell 20 on cabin top and larger on coaming for jib sheets hope that helps Eddie

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
Does anyone know what is the size of the base of the Barient 20?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I don't know, but I don't think you'll match the original mounting circle.. The originals screws were threaded into a stout aluminum plate which is embedded in the raised area where the winch is mounted. When ya go in to replace the winch, be prepared to drill and tap new holes.. or cut an access hole in the cabin liner (think about how you will finish it before you cut the hole, you may want to size it for a specific trim plug or cover). There usually is a void between the liner and the underside of the deck, so ya can't just drill and thru-bolt.. Good luck with it..

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
Kloudie1 - I haven't removed the liner but I just assumed that when it was removed you would have access to the plate. At any rate, the bottom of the new winch with the holes should be removable to use as a template to drill and tap the new holes then just fill the old ones with epoxy or 5200. I'm thinking there should be no need to even remove the liner but not having looked at the job before leaving home for the winter I am wide open for advice from anyone who has any knowledge of the task at hand. I finally found a Barient 20 for sale on the internet which gave all the measurements and the base of the Barient 20 is actually marginally larger than the Lewmar 30.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Barient winches are discontinued and although some parts are still available it does not warrant their use on a new installation.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
On my h326 coachroof I've a stock Lewmar 30 dual speed on each sides.

Jan 7, 2004
Hunter 31 Kingsville, Ontario, Canada
Reg...the Barient 20 will be just fine and going to a ST is a huge plus, the normal wear items on the Barient are available and as long as you maintain it will more than do the job. I have a couple of Barient 20's (non ST) that I am replacing the Maxwells with as they are past their prime....the main cockpit winches I swapped out 5 or so years ago with some Harken ST40's...only regret with that was that I did not go to 44's...
My race crew is happy with them in any case and so is my wife on the weekends!
Have fun!

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
Just a final report on this project - I went ahead and bought the Lewmar 30 ST EVO which is a real nice winch. When I got back home from Florida I found that space was not as big an issue as I thought and there was lots of room for the Lewmar 30. I also discovered there is no aluminum plate imbeded in the deck under the cabin top winches, just wood. All I had to do was remove the thin plywood liner which has about 8 screws, then remove the nuts, take off the winch, mark and drill new holes for the Lewmar, fill the old holes with 5200, then install the new winch with 5200 around all the bolt holes as well as under the heads of the countersunk bolts. That is one project put to bed.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Put to bed is correct, as the Satan's Glue means you probably won't ever be able to remove them.