What should I look closely at when buying a 1992 375 legend

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
My name is Skip Hansen and I’ve been boating most all of my 70 yrs. Sailing is a love of mine. I’ve never owned a Hunter nor any other main stream sailboats ever. This is and always has been a freshwater vessel. One owner. Are there any particular items, aside from the obvious things like engine won’t start or loose keelbolts and water intrusion, age of the batteries, you know , the obvious.The interior looks dry and I’m having a surveyor AMS and CMI certified, inspect it with me aboard. Moisture meter and sounding hammer coming will be ready. I am aware of the rudderpost being composite and the deck being cored (balsa)?. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. I do know the portals are somewhat crazed and will need replacing. I was told to change the entire portal and not just the Lexan. Something about all the holes and o-rings.
Thank you

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
Maybe if I put it another way ......What are the weaknesses of the 1992 375 Hunter sailboat?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I see no one has answered you. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about this boat to give any model specific advice. But it sounds like you are doing all the right things. You also seem to know what you are doing so adding in the generic list of things to look for seems unnecessary. Perhaps the only thing I'd add is to have someone knowledgeable in the motor this boat has to specifically evaluate the motor.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

dj

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Several months ago, someone answered a similar question to this with an extensive list. You might want to check the archives for "surveys".

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
Thanks for responding. I was beginning to think I was I internet space. I was hiring a surveyor when I began asking specific questions about this model he suggested I hire a more better qualified surveyor . I thanked him for his honestyAnd did exactly as he suggested. The surveyor has more letters after his name than he has in his name, which I guess is good. It inspection is happening this coming week first it’ll be in the water then she get hauled out and the bottom
Gets a going over.
My main concern would be the composite rudder post. Not knowing anything about them other than either they work or they don’t.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
When you ask a boat specific question you limit replies to owners and maybe some who have worked on them. Maybe that's a good thing because you will get less noise. I'm not an owner but I've had a Hunter 356. I'll just note that the Legend 375 is a good looking boat. It has a bit of a pinched in transom which is not the style today. I very much like fractional rigs so overall this would be an appealing boat for me. Boats of a particular vintage share certain weaknesses. It may be more useful for you to look at problems all boats of the vintage have.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
I'll just note that the Legend 375 is a good looking boat. It has a bit of a pinched in transom which is not the style today.
I get a bit of a kick out of the transom comment ... back then the transom was one of the widest for the length. Wasn't too many years ago that double-enders were the thing. But yes, things have changed, I suspect due to the round-the-world racers, slip fees, and the desire for more accommodation in the stern of the boat.

These boats were tested for durability. Warren had a skipper who's job it was to take a boat out and destroy it. Running it aground was one of the tests. So if the bottom doesn't fall off or the rig come crashing down it's at least partially due to a positive outcome with the test results.

I very much like fractional rigs so overall this would be an appealing boat for me.
Ditto that. The fractional rig setup is really nice. My wife often handles the jib sheet on a tack but it isn't that hard to do sailing solo or if she is down below. Would be nice for flying an asymmetrical too.
One really good thing about the Hunters of this era is they had LEAD keels and that's a real plus. They also had a bit more teak inside which is nice, and a bit less on the outside for lower maintenance.
The condition of the engine and the sails are two big items. New sails are expensive so depreciating them according to their wear-'n-tear is a calculation. The 37.5 is a nice boat.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Thanks, John. I'm closing in on the 1,000 likes milestone so don't be stingy with the likes when appropriate.

Dec 29, 2012
Hunter 37 Jacksonville
One issue with many 375's is where the furling lines go through the deck into the anchor locker. There is often delamination aft of that location. A common issue is with general deck core deterioration. Usually from a leak somewhere. Most likely under port lights, screw holes, or any fixture mounted to the deck. Don't think these would require any special skills on the part of a surveyor.

JZpurr

Feb 12, 2011
Hunter 37.5 Blaine
We have 1991 37.5 we bought 8 yrs ago. The previous owner replaced sails (Hood) including furling gear to a single line system and she has the 6.5ft deep keel. She sails and points beautifully. Our main issues have been with the sludge in the fuel tank. The original had no port and was made of 1/10th stock. After several frustrating filter cloggings we put in a new tank with inspection port. You can get a new one made from the original manufacturer (check label on tank) c $450. The original Yanmar 3HM35 is vibration prone so it is worth seeing if anything has been done to ameliorate that. E.g. new mounts etc.The difference in space between the 35.5 and 37.5 is significant. Overall we have been very pleased with the 37.5 and have used it extensively in the Pacific NW. We reef early and have an ATN sniffer for the gennaker.

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
Thank you but I found the starboard side deck delaminates along with 10,000 blisters too much to handle thanks all
Moving on

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
I have a 1993 35.5 Legend, so although not the same boat, they are very similar. One of the key weaknesses that I've encountered is the aluminum fuel and waste tanks that Hunter installed. They have a useful life of about 10 years, so if they haven't already been replaced it should be done ASAP. The problem is that Hunter installed them in various inaccessible places, so it may involve some cutting.
Secondly, you will find many comments about the furler being installed below the fore deck. I replaced my furler with another Hood model below the deck. Some people will insist that it needs to be brought above deck, but I was not willing to give up the sail area in order for the drum to clear the anchor locker. The 375 may not have the same clearance problem.
Windows tend to leak. There are numerous posts here about how to rebed them. Look for water intrusion in the deck around them. Also look for water around the base of the mast.
Rigging and lifelines should be checked for corrosion on a boat that old. But, being a fresh water boat it may not be a problem.
Overall, I've been very happy with my boat. They're fast and responsive. I probably wouldn't consider it for open ocean sailing, but I do know somebody who sailed theirs from Portland to Seattle in confused seas with no problems.