Registered users don't see ads

What Sail Is This?

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by topcat0399, Feb 10, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. topcat0399

topcat0399

Joined Aug 22, 2011
    1,068 posts, 105 likes
    MacGregor Venture V224
    US Cheeseland
    Always meant to ask and its -20 so...

We were becalmed in a light fog not far from another boat. After languishing quite a while this other boat hauls out this sail and sticks er up and soon he ghosted right into the bay. We sat right there in our light little boat with its light little sails continuing to languish......until it was finally iron jenny time. side sail.JPG

2. dlochner

dlochner

Joined Jan 11, 2014
    3,438 posts, 1,579 likes
    Sabre 362
    113 US Fair Haven, NY
    Is the tack in the middle of the foredeck?

3. kloudie1

kloudie1

Joined Nov 6, 2006
    8,257 posts, 722 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Mandeville Louisiana
    Asymmetrical spin set strangely.

jssailem likes this.
  4. topcat0399

topcat0399

Joined Aug 22, 2011
    1,068 posts, 105 likes
    MacGregor Venture V224
    US Cheeseland

I'm not sure - it was foggy...

but Im sure it wasn't hanked to the forestay.

5. dlochner

dlochner

Joined Jan 11, 2014
    3,438 posts, 1,579 likes
    Sabre 362
    113 US Fair Haven, NY
    Probably an asymmetrical spinnaker or some variant, like a gennaker.

6. Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Joined Mar 1, 2012
    1,699 posts, 654 likes
    1961 Rhodes Meridian 25
    us Texas coast
    could also be a blooper set without a spinnaker. Hard to say

7. topcat0399

topcat0399

Joined Aug 22, 2011
    1,068 posts, 105 likes
    MacGregor Venture V224
    US Cheeseland
    Well, whatever it is I want one....

Thanks for the replies.

8. LakeShark

LakeShark

Joined Sep 15, 2016
    405 posts, 158 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Minnesota
    You may have to wait for "First Contact" as I believe that is the Warp drive signature sail from the Galactic Alliance.

e320fd5402e0425ca5ca3ac5fcabd524.jpg

Ken13559, topcat0399, capta and 4 others like this.
  9. capta

capta

Joined Jun 4, 2009
    3,006 posts, 1,075 likes
    Pearson 530
    na Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
    Most extremely light air sails are not hanked on or connected to any stay. I had a racing boat with a few tissue paper thin sails (one tore right in half when rounding Angel Island and the wind went from 4 knots to about 9). They were huge and had a light wire in the hoist, connected to the bow with a snapshackle and hoisted on a spin halyard. We called them drifters.
    I have also used these sails on schooners and they went from the end of the bowsprit to the end of the main boom and to the tops of both mast topmasts. I believe they were called gollywobblers back then, and what are now called golleywobblers were then called a fisherman.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  10. JRT

JRT

Joined Feb 14, 2017
    1,103 posts, 345 likes
    Catalina 310
    211 US Lake Guntersville, AL
    My drifter is hank on and is excellent for light air. It is in my avatar as red, green and yellow. I'm told by sail makers what I want is a code 0 but this old sail works and it is paid for.

11. DArcy - Islay Mist

DArcy - Islay Mist

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    308 posts, 269 likes
    C&C 27 MkII
    Ca Ottawa
    Probably a Code 0. This isn't a very good shot of the sail but this one got us between one and two knots of boat speed in less than four knots of wind. You can see the sail is full with not even a ripple on the water.
    [​IMG]

12. topcat0399

topcat0399

Joined Aug 22, 2011
    1,068 posts, 105 likes
    MacGregor Venture V224
    US Cheeseland
    The more I think of it I do believe the sail was just hoisted to the mast head and both bottom corners just shackled to the toe rail and the sail was paper thin, I could see right through it - almost transparent. We were both headed dead east, and if there had been any breeze it would have been from dead south. The other boat was larger and heavier and ghosted right away from us.

Got to find me a paper thin big sail like this....

13. DayDreamer41

DayDreamer41

Joined Oct 29, 2016
    1,292 posts, 640 likes
    Hunter 41 DS
    Un Port Huron
    Don't know what you call it, but it looks like a spinnaker from a boat far smaller than the one its being flown on, this is from an ad on yacht world for a 41DS
    Funny Spin.JPG

14. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    9,933 posts, 2,977 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    That's called : 'a spinnaker from a boat far smaller than the one its being flown on'

;^)

dLj likes this.
  15. DayDreamer41

DayDreamer41

Joined Oct 29, 2016
    1,292 posts, 640 likes
    Hunter 41 DS
    Un Port Huron
    The ad for this boat lists this as an asymmetrical "included with boat" surely it can't be referring to the pictured sail? The way the sail is being flown in the picture sure does resemble the OP's sail question diagram though.

"This Hunter 41 DS is exceptionally clean and well maintained.
    A two stateroom boat with en suite full heads and shower stalls make this a very comfortable boat for cruising and living aboard.
    Large cockpit with seating for eight also means great for entertaining.
    This boat shows exceptionally well and you will not be disappointed or we pay for the survey.
    NEW Doyle mainsail and genoa in 2016; hardly used
    Also an Asmmetrical spinnaker included."

I guess the missing letter indicates a shorter sail.......

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  16. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    6,785 posts, 833 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    Maybe a "whomper", like in the movie "Wind"?

capta likes this.
  17. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    9,933 posts, 2,977 likes
    To @topcat0399 's original point...

Most sailors quickly learn that the typical sail-set for a marconi-rigged sloop is really designed to do exactly one thing well; go upwind in moderate breeze. Start playing with the wind angle and wind speed, and you need to change things to stay efficient.

As the wind angle goes back, you need to move sheeting points outward, and then switch out sail completely. As the wind gets lighter, you have a choice of options, but it totally depends on what you have available! You sometimes have to get creative, and its can be fun because the lighter airs mostly remove the chance of some science experiment going totally wrong.

Our 66nm 'Around the Islands' race normally finishes with most of the 30-40 foot boats eeking the last 3 miles from Grants Point light to the Bayfield dock in very light dawn breeze. You will see EVERY type of set imaginable. Some boats with asyms and wide angles. Free-flying drifters. Boats dropping genoas and setting jibs. Boats dropping jibs and setting Zeros. Boats dropping the foresail altogether and going main only. All in an attempt to find and keep flow attached. Nothing surprises me anymore.

My guess on that picture? They tacked their asym to the leeward rail between the bow and mast, and flew it outside of the jib.

jssailem likes this.
  18. topcat0399

topcat0399

Joined Aug 22, 2011
    1,068 posts, 105 likes
    MacGregor Venture V224
    US Cheeseland

I plan to be that experimenter. I hate being adrift for too long.

So I got some quotes for both a new Asym and a Code Zero, the Code 0 costing more than double the Asym.

I had never really planned to run a large free flying head sail but since it seems I can use this on days that I am becalmed to actually move, I need to do it. I mostly single hand.

I have shopped for used sails of this type but most seem to be for much larger boats than a 25 footer.

Is a Code Zero worth the added cost over an Asymmetrical?

19. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    9,933 posts, 2,977 likes
    If your goal is just to get moving, no. Probably not. A Code 0 actually very specialized sail design for racing. They allow the boat to go as close to the wind as possible on the free flying sail. The cost is built into the strength required to do that. I would never recommend anyone that doesn’t race to buy a true code 0

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    jssailem and topcat0399 like this.
  20. topcat0399

topcat0399

Joined Aug 22, 2011
    1,068 posts, 105 likes
    MacGregor Venture V224
    US Cheeseland
    You ju

you just saved me a boat buck - a thousand thanks Jackdaw....

jssailem likes this.

Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.