356ct

Oct 13, 2014
hunter 356 stratford
Appreciate any guidance on putting a reversing prop on my 2002 Hunter 356
Thanks!

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
You're going to get a ton of answers--here's mine. I had a Hunter 380 that I put a three blade Max prop on. It is now a requirement for any new boat for me to have a Max prop. I can back into any slip, I sail faster, the three blades make for a smoother engine, and I can say with some authority that the three blades helped me punch into chop better (I had another H380 cruising nearby with standard prop on a cruise).

Also notice that in the back of sailing magazines where folks are selling their boats, some will add "Max Prop" to the description but you don't see other props mentioned. The people who bought my 380 said the Max prop was one of the things they like.

I now have a Hunter 27 (2009)with a Max prop. Good luck.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Please do a search of the archives on this site. There must be a thousand posts on this subject with at least twice that many opinions.

Let's not beat this poor horse one more time.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I have a MaxProp on my 2003 Hunter 356. I am now in my 13th season and need to have it refurbished by the factory. The cost is estimated at around $1250 plus shipping. I have 1227 hours and 8,500 SM on the boat, so it is time.

I can maneuver my boat very well in all conditions and it backs like a charm.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I've had a Vari-Prop on our H33 for 8 seasons. Works great in reverse and feathering while sailing.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Another Max-prop advocate.
After about 40,000± nMi, my 'short hub', 3-bladed, ~18" dia. now needs to be 'rebuilt'.

My prop is carried in a fairly close aperture; I really prefer a prop with MORE 'prop walk' in reverse. Max-Props are 'flat bladed'.

ALNims

Jul 31, 2014
Hunter 356 Huis Ten Bosch Marina, Sasebo, Japan
From what I can tell from the testing, the Max Prop and Vari-prop are very close in performance.
I like to read studies like this. They are very helpful in decision making.
Andrew

yoram

Dec 11, 2014
hunter 26 davie
Hi there just bought 2001 380 .
Thanks guys for the information , very helpful .

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
To change the subject slightly.....
The 2000 H380 I bought came with a MAX, 2 Blade fixed prop and performs well, tops out at 3650 RPM. I also bought a Campell Sailor 3 blade which is very cupped, smaller diameter, which I will be testing this week.... I always have traveled with a back up prop and even sometimes a spare shaft. The 3 blade is supposed to operate more smoothly. Will see.

Can't afford 2 feathering props and heck I cruise not race..... and feathering is not as simple, more likely to get damaged.

Regards,

Viper

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Viper,
Any feedback on the Campbell Sailor 3 blade? Looking to replace my fixed 2 blade and was leaning that way.
Thanks,
Jeff

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Viper,
Any feedback on the Campbell Sailor 3 blade? Looking to replace my fixed 2 blade and was leaning that way.
Thanks,
Jeff
After 9 months of repairs on my my boat after another sailbaot fell on top of it, in boat Yard, will be trying the Campell Sailor tommorrow..... will get back to you as soon as I know something... More than likely it will need more pitch if anything... It is such a msall cute prop..... But they swear, its the right pitch=== smaller diameter.. 3 blades versus 2 and less pitch because its cupped...

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Finally got boat into water... 30 minute ride to dock where more repairs will be made.

Wind was 35 knots, large chop, strong running current (Cooper River Charleston- 6 ft tide change).

It is 2 inches less in diameter than my Max 2 Blade (which appears to be the best 2 blade choice), less pitch but much more cup. It turned the same 3650 RPM, clean bottom boat. Ran smooth, less vibration. Reversed well. Handled well in terrible conditions, first docking for me of the boat. Had less prop walk. The tiny little fellow worked well.

Seems to be a good choice. But again 30 minutes and one docking is not definitive. Don't know if it has less drag, when sailing, but the prop is very small, small blades, so should have less resistance, noting the cup is to the stern. more aerodynamic when boat moving forward.

Regards

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Viper,

Thanks for the review, sounds like it did fairly well.

Any ideas on what your cruising speed was in fairly calm water, just wondering if I'll get a bump over the fixed standard 2 blade.

Also if you get sailing and have any ideas on drag that would be interesting but possibly not as important.

Jeff

viper

Jul 31, 2016
With the current going one way strongly and the wind the other.... any sped reading would have been questionable.. it did do over 7 knots.

The wind was so strong the boat was healing with no sails.

Note the MAX 2 blade was the best after market 2 blade prop by all accounts. The 3 blade is smoother, and has superior reverse thrust, although it should not. Reversed in straight line , no pulling to one side.

The stock 2 blades was problematic by all accounts.

Regards,

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
I had a 14" 9 degree Campbell Sailor prop on my boat for a few years and yes it is a very good fixed prop. Can't go wrong. I found a used Kiwi and installed it 2 years ago and love it. Not as sophisticated as the Max prop but it works very well, backs up like gangbusters. Gained at least a knot under sail. very satisfied.