What knot to tie....

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
so I am attaching storm pendants to mooring for possible jose' fun. Have eye splices for my boat cleats. What is a good strong knot for the shackle? Would a bowline be strong enough??
Thanks!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
My first choice would be to splice a thimble to the line for superior abrasion resistance to the shackle. Perhaps that is the only safe method. Otherwise without the time or ability to get a thimbled eye, I would think that a bowline would be the next best choice. You should check the strength of knots before deciding. If I were to use a bowline, I would pass a couple loops of the line through the shackle to spread the load on the knot.

Regardless, be sure to protect the line from chafe and heat due to rubbing.

I had an old sailor once tell me; "If you don't know how to tie a knot, just tie a lot of them. Something is bound to hold." Possibly not the best advice.......

upload_2017-9-18_10-35-38.jpeg

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I would think a splice with a thimble would be the better alternative. Any knot is going to be about the same with regard to strength but if chafe is going to be considered, I think I would use a round turn and 2 half hitches or a halyard hitch. The key in my mind is to make the line pass through the shackle twice.
edit: Yes, what Rich said

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Well maybe best to use the eye splices for the shackle and tie off on the cleats.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Good advice above or, you can get the app"Whatknottodo" and you'll have a great reference tool for when you forget how to tie a bowline.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If we are talking storm gear here, I wouldn't waste my time putting anything together w/o a thimble. Use three strand nylon: quicker and much easier to splice than braid. I would also recommend carpet remnants as chafe gear, tied onto the line. Soft side in and holes through the backing to secure it in place.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hmmm .... so if time is not on your side.... can you run the line around the thimble and tie a knot at the backside of the thimble?

Something like this....

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
That looks like a halyard knot tied around a thimble, interesting.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i've seen thimbles spliced in, but never one like the halyard knot / thimble assembly. does the knot keep the line going around the outside of the thimble taut enough to keep the line from falling off the thimble under load ?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Just consider the damage that thimble can do to the rope if it comes loose and the ends dig into the rope. I've seen ropes seriously cut. Thus, there is no way I would consider a knot with a thimble safer. Only if spliced very tightly, and ONLY if a proper rope thimble, not a cable thimble, is used. No sharp corners.

Threading a bit of tubular climbing webbing over the eye before tying the knot increases chafe resistance remarkably. As for knot strength, it probably doesn't matter as much as you'd think--the rope will fail from chafe somewhere else, unless grossly undersize.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Strength in percentage of maximum load.
View attachment 140962
So, if you cannot splice the line to form a loop, some people would say (as T-Bird did) use the round turn and two half-hitches for a mooring.
View attachment 140960

If using Marlowbraid, the round turn's strength is 71% of maximum load versus 47% for the bowline.

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/sailing-skills/strongest-sailing-knot-30247
Great link.

For Hurricane Irma I ended up having to tie splice some of my shorter lines together to get the length to reach across the canal. I was working with my son who is an avid fisherman, and he spliced two of the lines together using his favorite fishing knot for tying on fishing leader. a Double Uniknot. It was a gorgeous splice knot, but I don't know how strong this is with 3 strand nylon or nylon double braid. The knot survived the storm, but now I cannot get it undone, and may have to cut it off.
double-uni-knot.jpg

The splices I tied were just bowline loop to bowline loop which I now know was not the best way to go. What knot should I have used.

Attachments

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Double or triple sheet bend to join two lines; normally one line may be a bit larger than the other.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
The knot survived the storm, but now I cannot get it undone, and may have to cut it off.
Yeah, I really had never considered untying my fishing knots. Snip, snip. lol

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Chip... get out the knife and separate those lines. The UniKnot is a great knot. It maintains the strength of the lines but it locks up and there is likely no way to undue it after the storm pulling it tight. Fishing we just cut the knot and pull out more leader. You will not want to try to save that part of the line involved in the knot as it will no longer have the same strength as the remainder of your line. You may want to be suspect of all the line used to tie up in the storm. Depending on the conditions you experienced, I suspect the line strength will be impacted by the storm experience. The pulling on line breaks the line down. Repetitive pulling as in holding a boat to a dock in a storm will heat the line and break down the fibers. I would not throw the line away, just not use it in critical situations.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Pateco, thanks for that info. I have long done about the same knot with lines not to be under a lot of stress or important use, so just use a single overhand knot on each side. I have never had it come undone.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Chip... get out the knife and separate those lines. The UniKnot is a great knot. It maintains the strength of the lines but it locks up and there is likely no way to undue it after the storm pulling it tight.
But how much strength do you think the uni Knot cost on nylon dockline.? Is it stronger or weaker than a double/tripple bend knot for this use?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have never seen a knot test of the two comparing strength on double braid or nylon 3 strand lines.

I know that on fishing gear using single strand nylon (monofilament) that the uniknot is used because it is stronger than several half hitches. Each knot bend/bite (half hitches are multiple bend/bites on the line) contributes to weakening the monofilament. The uniknot uses wraps not bites so is suggested to be stronger on monofilament.

Maybe Practical Sailor or one of the engineers here with the test equipment can definitively answer the question.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I never tie sheet bends anymore since I learned the zepplin bend.

Dunno about double/triple strength in relation to the zepplin.