What kind of marine head setup do I have?

Discussion in 'Marine Plumbing and Sanitation' started by Project_Mayhem, Mar 11, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Project_Mayhem

Project_Mayhem

Joined Sep 24, 2018
    383 posts, 73 likes
    O'Day 25
    US Waukegan
    I'm glad I could offer some entertainment in exchange for everyone's wonderful advice :) This contraption sounds like a horrible idea (unless of course you encounter pirates and no wind). As most of us are aware, discharging into Lake Michigan is prohibited and pretty gross so I will be disconnecting the macerator's wiring. After I pump out the RV coolant, can I squeeze a bit of SuperLube in the macerator's output, let it sink down the tube a bit and reverse polarity to suck it into the pump? Basically give it some lube before disabling it.

Peggy, I'd be happy to share the pics with you. I'm totally open to suggestions on a new system. I was planning on replacing the head at some point. It's better to do it before disaster strikes!

2. Project_Mayhem

Project_Mayhem

Joined Sep 24, 2018
    383 posts, 73 likes
    O'Day 25
    US Waukegan
    The tube you see in pic #7 is the pump out hose going to the bottom of the head

3. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    7,267 posts, 763 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    Not worth the effort. It's likely to be years before you're likely to need a macerator pump, if ever. It looks clean as a whistle...Put it on craigslist.

It's not just the tube I wondered about...it's the entire thing that seems to have a name plate on it. Can't figure out what it is.

--Peggie

4. Project_Mayhem

Project_Mayhem

Joined Sep 24, 2018
    383 posts, 73 likes
    O'Day 25
    US Waukegan
    The head itself is made by a company called Seafarer. I think the Y valve is made by Jabsco but would have to double check.

5. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    7,267 posts, 763 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    Never heard of SeaFarer marine toilets before, but there were a whole bunch of designs and brands in the '70s and early '80s, some of which--as the Jabsco Poop Shooter illustrates--were more than little whacky by today's standards. And yes, I'd definitely recommend replacing it along with the rest of the sanitation system. Give me a shout via email when you're ready to proceed.
    --Peggie

Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
-->