WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT STATUS?

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Washing my uniform, packing my gear and getting ready to head to Galveston tomorrow; Sea Scout Academy is afoot! I'll most likely be teaching younger scouts and giving tours on the Elissa; exciting stuff!

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Here’s my status. I’m just glad it’s not my ass that’s in the sling.
Bummer Bro! I’ve got 3 four year old titanium Miktor anchors in mine. It aches sometimes in these frigid temperatures up here.

Not to worry, I called your old girlfriend and she said you’re good at heeling.

BF8C3FC8-8C41-4494-BA74-D6288AFF3AD0.jpeg
1F47013F-3F65-4426-9ED0-C778C8FB3D61.jpeg

jerry

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 320 500 Stockton, Mo.
Partly installed new Xantrex trucharge2 40 amp to hook up in parallel with the 20 amp I already have. Already installed the required remote. Just got my Balmar sg200 battery monitor delivered and hope to get it installed soon. Just need to take measurements to get the required cables installed and drill a hole for the sg200 display. All this to hopefully take better care of the new 4D's installed this last fall.:dancing:

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
It’s snowing...heavily! Dark, got my woman, my dog, kerosene heater, back porch mood lighting on, music playing on wireless speakers, probably the most comfortble deck chairs, learning something new, and cold Labatts. The new thing is that my soul is changing. I’m confused. I think I might have to leave 70’s Rock and Roll. (NEVER)!

The Admiral suggests changing to her iPhone, to end the ruckus being played by Lynard Skynard (Sweet Home Alabama is playing). Really?

She starts her play list...then this:

https://www.shazam.com/track/404560969/snow-day

Playlists will be upgraded! JAZZ is awesome.

Last edited:

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
It’s snowing...heavily! Dark, got my woman, my dog, kerosene heater, back porch mood lighting on, music plating on wireless speakers, probably the most comfortble deck chairs, learning something new, and cold Labatts. The new thing is that my soul is changing. I’m confused. I think I might have to leave 70’s Rock and Roll. ((NEVER)!

The Admiral suggests changing to her iPhone, to end the ruckus being played by Lynard Skynard (Sweet Home Alabama is playing). Really?

She starts her play list...then this:

https://www.shazam.com/track/404560969/snow-day

Playlists will be upgraded! JAZZ is awesome.
Jazz is great when I'm trying to concentrate-especially working on a project at work- But it will never be better than Skynyrd. Since this is the Saturday Night Special and Tuesday's Gone justGimme Three Steps, Gimme Back My Bullets, ignore That Smell and Call Me The Breeze......

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I am here thinking about how to convince my wife to let me get another sailboat. I don't regret selling the Compac 23 because it just didn't fit the bill. Having the powerboat is fine for now since it lets me get in and out (good thing when you have a 6 month old at home) but in the next few years I have to move back to a sailboat. I want my daughter to grow up learning of the water and sailing. Still, I am really missing a good cruising sailboat. I really don't have the budget to get anything elaborate and even an old clunker may be a stretch now so I guess I will just miss it for now. Ugh!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Tried to race this weekend, should have never left the dock. Gusts over 35 knots on the bay on Saturday. We made it to the start line and turned around and went back to port. Figured the "fun" would start wearing pretty thin after a couple hours into the windward leg with 30+ knots on the nose and making more leeway than headway with the wing keel. Seven or eight boats did finish the race, mightier sailing men than I!
IMG_0119.jpg

And while several of us were giving up on racing and coming back to port, another club was taking opti's out for some extreme sailing!
39847887163_d06c34f839_k.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
@dlochner that is a very nicely fit cover, as sad as it is to put a cover on when you have to it might as well fit well and that certainly does fit well, how many sections is that? I like the way it wraps past the water line, it appears to have a draw line through the perimeter, how does that work if in multiple sections.

Mark
@DayDreamer41 Thank you. The cover was made by Fairclough (https://www.fairclough.com ). It is currently one very heavy piece of Sunforger Canvass. It will become 2 pieces this summer. It won't go back to Fairclough because I can't afford the shipping costs! The shipping weight for cover and frame was almost 500 lbs. The local canvass guy will cut and install zippers somewhere near the middle of the boat. This is the second cover Fairclough has made for me.

They have patterns for most production sailboats, so the canvass is fitted. The bow and stern are laced together and the sides are just tied port to starboard under the boat. The frame is 1" conduit with 1x2 furring strips supporting the canvass. The photos below are of my old boat, except for size the covers are the same design.

When I bought Second Star, she came with a cover that was not as well designed. The frame was a PITA to assemble and the material was some sort of coated fabric. The company's primary business was awnings, the boat cover business was a side line. It showed.

Besides providing a secure winter cover, come spring I'm less dependent on the weather to work on the boat. There is door on the port side. Even my wife says it is money well spent. Compared to shrink wrapping the pay back period is about 4 or 5 years with no plastic waste to speak of. The cover is expected to last about 15 years, maybe longer.

DSC_0127.jpg P4300001070406.jpg

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@dlochner I'll say that has to very difficult to manage, especially when putting it on, ours is (3) piece with a connection at the mast and then another about 12ft toward the stern and it is still quite the effort to get it over top of the ridge pole. There is (8) zipper section (4)on each side at the mast connection (mast to first stanchion, stanchion to stanchion, stanchion to deck line and then deck line to bottom edge) the aft section has (4) zippers (2) on each size. At least this year I had lots of help and once the framing was built it only took about 90 minutes to cover the Sapphire.
Sapphire in Bed.jpg

IMG_20180120_130704209.jpg

Sure makes working on the boat on those cold winter days much better especially when its sunny out, it will get almost too warm depending on the temperature outside.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
@dlochner I'll say that has to very difficult to manage, especially when putting it on, ours is (3) piece with a connection at the mast and then another about 12ft toward the stern and it is still quite the effort to get it over top of the ridge pole. There is (8) zipper section (4)on each side at the mast connection (mast to first stanchion, stanchion to stanchion, stanchion to deck line and then deck line to bottom edge) the aft section has (4) zippers (2) on each size. At least this year I had lots of help and once the framing was built it only took about 90 minutes to cover the Sapphire.
View attachment 160467
View attachment 160468
Sure makes working on the boat on those cold winter days much better especially when its sunny out, it will get almost too warm depending on the temperature outside.
It was a challenge to get it up there and on, but we managed. The old cover had 2 sections and more zippers than could be counted because it was originally designed for mast up storage. My mast comes down every year, so it is easier.

The trick to these heavy covers is getting them folded correctly. Ideally, the cover is folded, so once on the ridge pole the sides just drop down and only minor adjustment is needed. To get mine on the boat I used a bunch of sail ties to make a long sausage. This way I could keep it folded and lift short sections up on to the boat. It was surprisingly easy. My wife and I were able to lift it up section by section with out too much difficulty. Once the sausage was up on the ridge pole, it was untied and the sides just dropped down. There was a little fiddling here and there to get it to line up right, but that wasn't all that difficult.

The weight of the canvass seems to help it resist wind. One drawback of canvass is that it must stay dry. I made the mistake of trying to install the cover on a damp misty day. The canvas shrank a little and it was impossible to get a good fit until the sun came out and dried things off. The old cover, because it wasn't canvass could be left on deck when the boat was hauled. Much easier to just toss it on the deck before the boat was hauled.

And you're correct it does get warm under the cover. In the spring I'll be sweating and in a T shirt while everyone else is bundled up.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Dreaming of fair winds, following seas and finally some snow to ski on. Prepping for first weekend in VT. I'll take calm winds for this, save it for spring.