WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT STATUS?

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Guys, after having both rotator cuffs repaired a few years apart, I can’t say enough about sticking to the Physical therapy regimen as soon as released to do so. I have full range of motion and have no issues with sailing. That said, PT will be tough as well as learning new tricks to complete minor tasks we typically take for granted. Wish all of you the best.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Back to what's going on: We are seriously embarked on moving forward to a new life and erasing the former. We are cutting the past loose. The memories are holding us back. It's time for the future. That means getting rid of all the crap in our attic that landed on us from cleaning out our parents homes. It's clear our kids couldn't give one s**t about any of it and the traditions, memories or anything else. We've got nice table wear and our kids and grandkids, edging on great grandkids, eat out of plastic containers, i.e. take out. We are cutting all of the nice stuff loose. Moving on. Selling the business. My wife had some health problems and the only thing we are about is making the next ten years as fulfilling for her (and me) as possible. Saving for the future? The FUTURE IS NOW!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Feeling the concern for you Northeast sailors with all that snow I headed across the mountains to the central mountains of Oregon. Over the hill and through the snow I drove. Nearly a whiteout crawling up to the pass at 25 miles an hour. The windshield wipers slapping time .... the defroster full blast to keep the windows from freezing. 3 hours to drive a 2 hour distance. Only to get to the lodge and no snow on the ground. Guess that’s why they call it the “High Desert“.

Made it safely, unpacked and made a hot toddy to sip by the fireplace.

Greetings.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Back to what's going on: We are seriously embarked on moving forward to a new life and erasing the former. We are cutting the past loose. The memories are holding us back. It's time for the future. That means getting rid of all the crap in our attic that landed on us from cleaning out our parents homes. It's clear our kids couldn't give one s**t about any of it and the traditions, memories or anything else. We've got nice table wear and our kids and grandkids, edging on great grandkids, eat out of plastic containers, i.e. take out. We are cutting all of the nice stuff loose. Moving on. Selling the business. My wife had some health problems and the only thing we are about is making the next ten years as fulfilling for her (and me) as possible. Saving for the future? The FUTURE IS NOW!
Go for it.

You’re right - all of our limitations and encumbrances are in our minds.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
True statement @shemandr. It is exciting for you to recognize the moment and begin to execute the new plan. Share the ride. I think I may need a bit of guidance from a Pathfinder.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Determined yesterday that we do NOT have a blown head gasket, so there's that. Thought we had blown it when we brought the boat into the marina in Sept for hurricane season, and overheated (lost the water pump drive belt) as we entered the channel to the marina. Now the season has passed, and we will be taking it back out to our mooring next week. Had to buy new anchor windlass batteries today. Will need to get new house batteries next. The current Deka gel 4Ds are 10 years old, and starting to fade. I'd have to say we've got our money's worth out of that set!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
God speed Shemandr! And tell those kids to step up and take point, the command is being passed. Flatware and all.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i got 10 years out of my deka 8D wet cell engine start battery-- then it flat lined, and i needed lots of help getting it OUT --those things are really heavy. i dropped down to a 31XT which has been fine.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Brrrr! It's cold at the yacht club! I was hoping to finish covering Bella but it was too windy.
So, I gathered some info for my off season projects. For the Perko water strainer I just ordered a new pivoting bolt, mine is stripping at the worst spot, and gaskets. Also ordered gasket set RK10062 for my Racor 110 fuel filter.
Also ordered extra ignition keys. Mine fell in the lake. Don't ask...
I am filling my boat's service bag of information with every document and parts diagram I come across as I maintain all the equipment on board. Some of it is also kept electronically

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...I am filling my boat's service bag of information with every document and parts diagram I come across as I maintain all the equipment on board. Some of it is also kept electronically
Atta boy, Justin. My kind of guy!

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i went with a Deka 31XT agm for engine start and 2 xt 31's for house. since we were week end / vacation week sailors that worked fine, and we only ran the bow thruster with engine on. i contemplated adding solar and that would have been the next project ... but alas due to serious hand arthritis, we sold the nauticat and are now contemplating a much smaller sailboat... like a marshall or menger cat...

Mar 2, 2014
Catalina 22 Ocean Springs, MS
Boatless

Trying to sell this so I can by something to live on. It's been on the market for over a year and it's been frustrating.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Current status?
Sounds like I am in the same boat as a lot of you. The boat is on the hard for the winter. I am getting a new knee on Feb 12, and hope to have enough mobility by May to sail and play golf.
You can bet I am going to be diligent about the PT

To keep my mind off the knee, there is a new love in my life and we are trying to figure out how to find a downsized house for us, sell the two houses we currently have, and part with 75% of the furnishings.

Incidentally, she is an orthopeadic nurse nicknamed “Ratchet” so neglecting PT is probably off the table.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I can't believe its been almost 9 years since we shed the acres and square footage and moved into our rental condo. We still on occasion open a box which hasn't been opened since the move sort through the ole keepsakes and fill another bag for either Salvation Army or for the refuse collector. I struggle at times shedding old engineering reference material, manuals and the like, but slowly but surely we are evacuating the collections in hope that we don't burden those whose will eventually have to purge our belongings when we are in a state where we don't need them any more.
What I have found along the way, what we have kept for keepsake has no intrinsic value, nor do our children find the items of memorabilia worth keeping, so we ask ourselves why have we held on so long to things which have no value?
Life goes on, but not forever and we are not remembered by the which we collect, but by the love we have shared!

Man I wish spring was here, just another 5 months and we will be back in the water.

Last edited: