What is your backup GPS solution?

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I look at the compass, look at the chart, and set a heading.....

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Actually, where we sail, I feel less comfortable with a non-functioning depth sounder than I do with navigation not on. We basically can tell by sight where we are anyway. I generally know by sight where we are in the bay and can relate it to probable depth without really looking at the chart. But if I don't have that visual aid that tells me I'm in 9' of water (comfortable) vs. 5' of water (uncomfortable) … I'd be sweating for sure!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That there is a pink unicorn!

Why can't I find the GeoNav 4C for sale?
Not even listed on the Navionics website.
I have an iron rule when it comes to tech stuff - robust phone support.
Not real happy with some of the Garmin product support, but I have had a number of their handheld marine GPS. The GPS Map 76 sits in my ditch bag, but the Garmin88 was killed by alkaline battery leakage this year - 8 bells old friend.

Have a backup Garmin beast - GPSMap640. battery, hardwired, land and sea. Robust and easy to use. Sits in a cradle at the nav station, ready to go on deck as plan B. Garmin did not make it easy to update charting.

Support for the Map76 is done, even though it works just fine. Planned obsolescence I suppose. Big investment in proprietary Garmin chartography - up in smoke. Unacceptable.

Finally, I have an independent (has it's own antenna) Raymarine fixed mount at the nav station, about 12 years old and workable, but it is some clunky software. At least it works, but nobody I sail with that hasn't used a 12 year old computer would know what to do with it.

I'm shopping. Even if I have to learn a new system. Already know navionics (Navico) and own it, so this is a possibility.
The GeoNav 4C WAS A bit of a unicorn, a technology demonstrator created to show the world that a handheld platinum chart capable device could be built. It was very expensive, and rather short-lived.

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
Marine navagator with NOAA charts on Android phone, paper charts and a lead sinker on a marked line for depth.

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
GPS failure? Well sometimes I forget to turn it on when I leave until I’m halfway down the channel. In order to get to open ocean I sail south down a channel 20 miles long and about 5 miles wide with steep mountains on each side. Then I turn left or right until I duck into another bay that is 10-20 miles long... when I return, I just do the reverse.

Anyway, I have downloaded maps on a few devices that have an internal GPS as well as paper maps.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I remember a few years back, sailing on the Chesapeake Bay, near the mouth of the Potomac ,when our chart plotter lost GPS signal so we turned on our trusted Garmin handheld and there was no signal to be found. Out came the paper charts; and our compass and the depth sounder all of a sudden gained increased relevance. After maybe 15-30 minutes the GPS units regained a signal. That evening we were talking to one of the locals and he said it had been happening, that apparently the military was running some tests by interrupting the signal for short periods of time but without notice. I do not care how fancy a GPS unit might be if the signal is jammed it is not going to be of any good. Sailors that may not be familiar with setting a rhumb line on a paper chart it would be highly advisable for them to learn and practice. Was aboard a Coast Guard cutter once and noticed that even with all the electronics aboard a sailor was tasked with manually maintaining a rhumb line and plotting estimated position on a paper chart every hour on the hour. Was told that it was done to corroborate what the electronics were telling and to have positional awareness in case the electronics failed. I may not use manual navigation these days but I'm constantly aware of my headings and match depth sounders readings to those given for the position on the chart plotter.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Actually, where we sail, I feel less comfortable with a non-functioning depth sounder than I do with navigation not on. We basically can tell by sight where we are anyway. I generally know by sight where we are in the bay and can relate it to probable depth without really looking at the chart. But if I don't have that visual aid that tells me I'm in 9' of water (comfortable) vs. 5' of water (uncomfortable) … I'd be sweating for sure!
Scott I couldn't agree with you more on the bay.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
GPS backup is my old Garmin 12 XL handheld.. no maps in it but I carry good paper ones..

Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
Has anyone taken the ASA 114 Celestial Navigation course? I've been considering it because I think it would be really interesting even though it's probably not necessary with the litany of other tools available these days.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Took the ASA celestial course through Maryland Sailing (Capt. Tom Tursi) and was very pleased. I never expect to use it "in anger" but I do practice every so often, and can actually take sights. Really proficient celestial (daily practice, no reduction errors, etc.) will get you within a couple miles, if you're lucky, and takes the better part of an hour to get that fix. Completely worthless for any piloting if you need to know where you are to avoid rocks in the current hour. It's highly dependent on ded reckoning, so you kinda have to know where you are before you more precisely know where you are.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Well, ain't this a hoot?
I went to take a picture of my Garmin GPS 45, that I purchased somewhere in the early eighties, which was my primary navigation tool in its day and my back-up since I've been on boats with installed chartplotters.
Damn thing won't turn on! Changed batteries and did all I can think of, but I think it's dead.
So, thank you Jackdaw and I'm going to look at the GeoNav 4C right now!
Oh no, I'm not! Apparently, there isn't one for sale anywhere on this planet.
Oh well, gotta go look @ what Garmin has to offer.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Garmin 178C primary
Garmin 32 first backup
Paper charts/compass second backup.
Dead reckoning third backup
Hail VHF 22 last backup

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Has anyone taken the ASA 114 Celestial Navigation course? I've been considering it because I think it would be really interesting even though it's probably not necessary with the litany of other tools available these days.
Celestial navigation is not a good back up for GPS. To be halfway proficient, one must use it every day, several times a day. It is not something one can just pick up and do at the drop of a hat, even if one is quite familiar with the method. Getting a proper site on a moving small boat at sea is one of the most difficult things one can do on a boat. And in order to actually have a fairly accurate position, one must have three fixes (reduced sites which give you LOP's) as far apart as possible, usually around three hours.
I'm not saying don't learn, just saying it isn't a back-up for GPS unless you are a week or more away from the nearest rock. I wouldn't waste the money on a class. The Kindergarten of Celestial Navigation by Sellars is the best book ever written on this and has worksheets that are reusable.
Just as info, when I circumnavigated, GPS had not been invented and celestial was all we had.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I picked up this old N5G INS a few years ago that was on a B-52 bomber. It will probably kill my batteries in fifteen minutes, but screw GPS. Just have to figure out where to mount it.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
you could still get a fix that was more accurate than dead reckoning
If you're talking about finding a position in the ocean out of sight of land, then yes. However, triangulation on a chart with known landmarks is about as accurate as you will ever need. Dead reckoning will get you most places within a hundred mile track. I've come within 10 feet of the can I was sailing for in a fog that wouldn't let you see twenty feet, after sailing (rowing with 14 other rowers on a pulling boat) 4 miles up a channel without seeing the land.

Backup for GPS? Attention and planning. If navigating in the open ocean, having plotted out the course and planning the course corrections, losing a GPS should only be an inconvenience. In emergencies, an extended storm that throws you off track, a second gps is great, celestial navigation skills can't be lost, run out off power or broken. However, if you're sailing near shores and rocks and other obstacles, charts, clock and compass are irreplaceable. Also a smart phone. Nothing is better than thinking ahead, planning and knowing/scouting the area you will be sailing is important.

Keep a watch and check your bottom depth of in question.

I've rented small boats with gps to get from point A to point B, but they give a turn by turn instruction and if they blink out, there is no record, no plan, not even a general, "go that direction". I like sailing by the compass, not by the computer screen.

-Will (Dragonfly)