What is this on the railing? Shelf for cooler or generator?

Sep 20, 2018
Hunter 260 Rockwall
Hi,

I found these pictures online. Any idea where to purchase the "shelf" that is attached to the stern railing? Any idea what its called?

It looks like its the perfect location to keep a cooler or a small generator, especially on the limited space of a Hunter 260. I wonder if it flips up if needing to get access to outboard.

I do have some concerns about it holding up the weight of a full cooler or generator. What do y'all think?

Attachments

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I'll bet that a local fabrication shop could knock up a custom one from 1" stainless tubing for under $200. Use some $20 Bimini mounts found on eBay to secure it to your existing stern rail, and add crimped wire supports. My concern with strength would be the torque on the stern rail. How much force can you apply to the top rail without deforming or bending the bottom attachments or tubing. Considering that the platform looks as wide as the rail is high, the weight on the end would be transmitted equally to a horizontal vector to the top rail. I don't think I'd put more than 50 - 100 lbs on that platform.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Must be one of Sumner's ideas. I bet it is a fishing platform, like on the boats in the Keys.
ADDED: Remember, too, that they might stand there to pole the boat quietly in the shallows. Or, maybe that's the outhouse?

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I wouldn't put a 175# man on that platform, but I wouldn't have any problem putting a small gas generator or cooler on it. More to the point might be sticking any weight that far out on the end of a small boat (especially with the motor already there) and what that would do to its sailing characteristics.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I noticed that too. But, who knows when the Bimini might have been added? Does not change what it likely is or typically is used for.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018
Hunter 260 Rockwall
I agree w/ this. Looks exactly like a boat platform that guys will stand on to cast away from the boat.
I think you guys are right. Looks like they found one with a width that matched the opening on the stern rails.

I really like the idea of this. It would be a great spot to put my yamaha 2000 generator. If I make it more of a box frame structure as opposed to just a platform, I could put a small solar panel as a hinged "lid" over the generator. And mount my GIS antenna back there. Been looking for places to put a solar panel and the antenna.

I am concerned about the cantilevered weight and it bouncing around and stressing the existing stern rails. Over time, thinking it may cause stress cracks where the existing stern rails meet the fiberglass hull. Probably looking at 50-60 lbs with the generator, solar, antenna, and platform. Not a lot, but it is cantilevered.

I may rig up a vertical support using 1" stainless railing on the end of the platform going to the transom or engine mount area to support the load and stabilize it.