what is the sail size for a 140 - 150 genoa for my 26 c

Jun 21, 2013
Macgregor 25 / 26s pugetsound
I've got a MacGregor 26s ( it's the swing keel model with the water ballast ) and I want to rig her up with the biggest head sail that will fit. I've got a flexible Roller Furling, I've read she has these measurements " I " is 22' and the " J " is 9.7' . I'm assuming what I'm looking for is a 150% Genoa. I need to know because I'll be shopping for a used one and I'm not sure how to figure out the sail dimensions so if someone could lend a hand it would be much appreciated .
Thanks

Last edited:

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
It's not as simple as knowing the "I" & "J" dimensions. You need to know your exact luff length between the tack point on your furler drum and the attachment point of your head at the upper swivel. This is not the "I" dimension. The clew height can vary quite a bit from sail to sail. Its location will determine the average genoa lead location. If it is too high your proper genoa lead may have to be so far aft that you may not be able to place a genoa car or block at that location. You should get yourself an accurate sail plan drawing of your boat and draw the sail with the dimensions of the used sail that you are planning to buy on the sail plan drawing. Draw a line from the midpoint of the luff and project it through the clew of the sail. Make note of where this line intersects the plane of the deck. This is a good average starting point to estimate the location of a genoa lead. Having a genoa car on a track will allow you to move it fore or aft to reduce or induce twist.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Ted is correct however, you can go to Bacon Sails and they have a tool to look for sails for your specific boat. That might help alleviate some of the pain and guess work.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Hum----I thought a 140 or 150 was the measurement having to do with the way the sail fit in or overlapped the fore triangle percentage.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
You are correct that the 150 is a percentage of J. 9.7' x 1.5 = 14.55' This would be the LP or luff perpendicular measurement of the sail. The problem comes in from the aspect ratio of the boat that the sail was built for. When I first started sailing I did just what you are doing and found a sail that had the correct luff length and LP on a used sail loft. as-is, no return. When I got the sail it looked great, good cloth, no tears, clean. And then I hoisted the sail. RutRow! The leach was tight and the foot was completely slack even when sheeting to the stern rail. The boat that this sail came from must have had a very tall aspect ratio mast. It was completely useless to me and I could not return it.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Every sail manufacturer that sells sails online will have a tutorial on how to measure your sails. If you simply go to any one of them you will be enlightened and it won't seem so mysterious.

The percentage number you're enquiring about is indeed a comparison of the sail's area with the area of the fore triangle.... foredeck, forestay and mast being the three sides of this right triangle. The confusion arises because a headsail is NOT a right triangle...therefore you must resort to your jr high school geometry to come up with an area for the sail... so... a triangle's area is defined as 1/2 the base times the height. Converting to sail lingo, the base of the triangle would be the LUFF.... and a perpendicular line from the LUFF through the highest point (the clew) would be your height... or LUFF PERPENDICULAR.

Okay...now here's the trick part... the length of the fore deck from stem to mast is called the "J" and is one side of the right triangle mentioned above. So.... here comes the jr high geom..... comparing the boat's "J" dimension with the sail's "LP" dimension will give you the same result as you would by calculating square feet of the sail and the fore triangle and dividing etc...

This means when you are looking for a particular size sail to fit your boat, you simply compare the J with the LP.... and voila!!!! ...... but wait.... think about this.... what happens if you move the LP up or down the Luff. The clew may end up very close to the deck..... or a considerable height above it.... Race boats often have very low clewed headsails, sometimes called "decksweepers" while cruising boats will often have higher clewed sails to allow for easier handling and better visibility....

That is the reason you want to understand how sails are measured and decide what shape will best fit your sailing preference.

To get some idea of how this works and where your boat will fit... try this site
www.thesailwarehouse.com/

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Like this:
Actually Ted, that doesn't really describe the example I was making because the LUFF on all three of your LP examples are different lengths.... so... you cannot use the LP/J shortcut without a common side between sail and fore triangle... where the boat's forestay equals the sail's luff. However, the graphic gives meaningful understanding. LP 1 and LP 3 are different in area/size, because their base dimensions differ even though their heights are equal. LP 2 would have to be calculated independently, because it's luff, base is not the same as the boat's forestay.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Joe, you're right. It, however, doesn't really matter, 'cuz if you made the luffs of #1 & #3, the black and purple ones, exactly the same, it would apply. Luff length has nothing to do with it, which is the whole point. Try another: take your jib and hoist it upside down! Turns a deck sweeper into a yankee!!! :):):)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Ted, I'm confused by your comment..... but I don't want to argue.. so let's just move on.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Joe, those are not my comments. I think you want to direct them to Stu. :biggrin: