What is the largest 4 stroke motor for the Capri 18?

May 17, 2014
Catalina Capri 18 Guntersville
Have an older Nissan 5hp which has an internal tank. I have to fill it often and am looking to purchase another motor. The 5hp does not seem to move the boat forward very fast so I am thinking about purchasing a larger motor. I hate having to mix my oil and gas so I am leaning towards purchasing a four stroke. I have had a 9.9 two stroke on an older 22 footer in the past. Is a 9.9 to large for the Capri 18

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
the 5hp nissan shold move the boat well if the prop is correct and the pin is not sheared....
and a lot of the nissan motors with a integrated tank also had a fitting to hook a remote tank to it....

a fill up on the integrated tank should last you an hour to an hour and a half, unless you are pushing it to its limits... then about 35-45 minutes per tank...

9.9 isnt too large, but it is Way larger than you could ever need.... unless you were trying to tow a 25footer along behind you.

the 5hp is about the perfect size for that sailboat...

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
Consider 6 or 8 HP four stroke, but for an 18 footer, 5 HP should be adequate.

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
I can't imagine you need more than 5HP for a Capri 18 unless you're fighting a nasty current. I have a Honday 5hp on my Capri 22 and it's more than needed to putt-putt in and out of the lake marina. I've seen 22s with as small as 2HP.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
When we purchased our Capri-18 it came with an 8 HP 4-stroke Johnson. Very nice motor, but WAY too much power and weight for the boat. I sold it and put a 6 HP Nissan 4-stroke. Still more power than I needed, but much lighter than the Johnson. It would push the boat to hull speed at less than half throttle, and barely sip the gas.

What a GREAT boat the Capri-18 is! Best unknown boat out there in her size. Built like a tank, over sized hardware, and GREAT performance. The photo shows our's moored at Two Harbors on one of her trips to Catalina Island.

Don

Last edited:
May 17, 2014
Capt. Don
Thanks for the comment. A Nissan 4 stroke 6hp is what I have decided to obtain. Your comment has helped me to reach this conclusion. I agree the Capri 18 is a great little boat. I constantly get compliments on my boat from other sailors.

Nov 19, 2008
FYI, Tohatsu makes the Nissan outboards, along with Mercury's,(I believe under 20 HP), all the same engine, just different colors and decals. Now Tohatsu paints all the engines black and changes the decals. The 4, 5, and 6 HP are also the same engine, just different carb's, and will accept a battery charger kit also,(which is nice).

Don

May 17, 2014
I have the factory motor mount on my Capri 18. I have the opportunity to purchase a great 15 inch shaft motor at a great price. Will a 15 inch work?

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
FYI, Tohatsu makes the Nissan outboards, along with Mercury's,(I believe under 20 HP), all the same engine, just different colors and decals. Now Tohatsu paints all the engines black and changes the decals. The 4, 5, and 6 HP are also the same engine, just different carb's, and will accept a battery charger kit also,(which is nice).

Don
Yup, the 4, 5 & 6 HP versions are all the same Tohatsu powerhead; they just use a different 'orfice plate' between the carb. and the powerhead, and different main jets in the carbs. Buy the 6Hp.

Nov 19, 2008
15" Motor work? Yes, and no. As long as the cavitation plate is at or below the water, the water pump will get water, and the motor will run just fine. However, and weight shifting forward, or wave action that brings the transom up, will cause the problem. Check your motor mount in the down position to the waterline and see what you come up with. You "might" be able to lower the outboard motor mount using the existing holes in the transom.

But, from my experience with a C-18 and a long shaft 6 HP Nissan, if I was forward pulling the anchor, or gathering the jib, even the 20" shaft model would occasionally come out of the water.

Don