What is "Ocean" worthy?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I think I would take a different approach to that problem. A faster planing hull and shorter hops. I think one can plot a course that is never more than 200 nm from land. It would be a longer overall route but better weather windows and consequently shorter exposure to giant squid territory. Provisioning would also be lighter.

-Will (Dragonfly)
I think you would be hard-pressed to find 200 nautical mile hops across the Pacific. Or the Atlantic for that matter. A planing hull requires downwind sailing, usually in the trades. Which severely limits your routing. Upwind, short boats are just short boats. And stay away from the shore. That’s where all the bad stuff happens. Trust me

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
For the most part, yes, but I've flipped a J-22 and a J-24 and neither of them were able to right themselves again. Had to commence a classic capsizing drill: "Cut the sheets, all hands to the keel!"
If your crew did not dump the sheets in the moments before the capsize, you deserve to have your sheets cut!! ;-)

As I noted, you have to tip the boat back past it’s AVS angle before it will self-right. The J24 AVS is close to 90 degrees, so you have work to do.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
First you show me a 100ft wave simulation. Then, you put the image of open water in a 10ft craft in my head. Are you trying to give me nightmares?
There is a photo in "Once is Enough" of a 100 foot wave. It was taken from the upper gun deck of a German "pocket" battleship and it's still an impressive wall of water!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
All this talk about sailing (living) on tiny boats mystifies me. Apparently, most on here are nearing 50 or so and I can't imagine ANYONE, of any age, actually wanting to live in such a cramped space. A boat at sea is your home; wouldn't you want a comfortable home? Some place to stretch out and just lounge around, never mind carrying the supplies and spares one would need for an ocean crossing.
A 27 foot King's Cruiser was a pretty spacious boat when I was 14, but by the time I was ready to cross oceans with a lady, I chose a 49' Phil Rhodes.
Sure the Pardeys did the tiny boat thing and made a tidy living doing it, but I bet they weren't very comfortable anywhere but in bed. It would be interesting to note how many days out of the year they actually lived aboard after they'd made enough money to have a house to go live in, only using the boat to continue their adventures as a business.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I think Sven has set that project aside [Edit: The Around in Ten project] somewhere around 2014. He cut his AiT build up. But there is some good information about small boat ocean sailing on his site.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Can't recall the name Sven used back when he built the first of his boats in his mother's basement

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I entered or looked up, rather, the data for my Mariner on the site jackdaw posted a link to. Here is the results.
"boatName=Mariner 19cb
LOA=19.167
LWL=17.75
beam=7
displacement=1305
sailArea=185
displacementToLWL=104
speed=5.65
sailAreaToDisplacement=24.79
LWLToBeam=2.54
motionComfort=8.25
capsizeRatio=2.56
category=racer
ppi=444
"description=Capsize Ratio: A value less than 2 is considered to be relatively good; the boat should be relatively safe in bad conditions. The higher the number above 2 the more vulnerable the boat. This is just a rough figure of merit and controversial as to its use."

I don't know what kind of range the Capsize Ratio has, but if 2 is the maximum for relatively good safety, a point five difference is 25%. That seems significant. On the other hand, if the range of reasonable values goes as high as 50, a .5 point difference isn't that much.
As a small boat, where and how equipment and supplies are stored can make a big difference to the actual values.

-Will (Dragonfly)

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I don't know what kind of range the Capsize Ratio has, but if 2 is the maximum for relatively good safety, a point five difference is 25%. That seems significant. On the other hand, if the range of reasonable values goes as high as 50, a .5 point difference isn't that much.
Capsize ratio is a VERY rough number. There is a wiki page about it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsize_screening_formula
There isn't really a maximum value and the formula doesn't take into account the shape of the boat at all. A shallow flat boat generally has a higher number than narrow deep draft boats.
Volvo Ocean 65 boats end up with a capsize ratio of 2.4 and these boats did very well circling the globe, mind you they had full professional crews.
Class 40 boats are around 2.7 and these are sailed single handed offshore all the time. Mind you, they do need to have escape hatches to get out when inverted.
A Westsail 28 comes in at 1.61 so if you really get stuck on these numbers, that's the boat to get. Just don't expect it to sail like a Pogo 8.5 with a capsize ratio of 2.58

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Racing boats and yachtsman are going to go out on open waters. Various races have committees setting rules to limit the risks. Most of these rules came about after the 1979 Fastnet Race.

Here is what one group (after 5 years of investigation) developed.
CRUISING CLUB OF AMERICA

In the spring of 1980, the Cruising Club of America (CCA), which was preparing to run its biennial Newport-Bermuda Race took a long hard look at the Fastnet race and began to study what could be done to prevent such a disaster from reoccurring.

Five years later, a final report was issued and offers several broad conclusions that help illuminate what is safe and what is not in hull and yacht design.

The conclusions of the report, in brief, are:

- Larger boats are less prone to capsize than smaller boats.

- A dismasted sailboat is more likely to capsize than a boat carrying her full rig.

- A boat has an inherent stability range, ie., an angle of heel past which it will capsize. That stability range can be calculated from the boat’s lines and specifications.

- Some boats designed to the IOR rule, or any designed to be particularly beamy, may remain inverted following a capsize. Boats with a stability range under 120 degrees may remain inverted for as long as two minutes.

- Boats lying sideways to a sea, particularly light, beamy vessels, are more likely to capsize than boats that are held bow to the sea or stern to the sea. It follows, then, that boats that are sailed actively in gale conditions and breaking seas are more likely to avoid capsize than those left to lie untended, beam to the seas.

- The issue of whether or not a boat will capsize, and when and how it might suffer such a fate, is a key point for any sailor contemplating safe extended coastal or offshore cruising. By analysing a boat’s stability range, you can get a very good reading on how the boat will handle a gale at sea and how best to plan your own gale tactics.

The CCA committee that compiled the five-year Fastnet report came up with a simple formula to determine the stability of any yacht of a fairly standard type and of a size suitable for offshore sailing. The formula is as follows:

Capsize Screening # = Boat’s Max. Beam (feet) / Cube Root (Gross Displacement / 64)

In English: take the boat’s gross displacement in pounds, divide it by 64 and then take the cube root of the quotient. Now, divide the boat’s maximum beam in feet by the cube root figure. The resulting number should be 2 or less. In general, if the number is over 2, the boat fails the screen. If the number is under 2, the boat passes. Again, the formula is a very general guide, and does not take into account a number of other important design factors that might lessen — or increase — a boat’s tendency to capsize. Use the formula to get a quick idea of a boat’s stability, but also explore the boat’s full capsize characteristics before you decide to purchase it and set off sailing in open waters.