"what happened to the app???"

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Edited 11/14

The mobile app many of you have been using was designed to work only with a specific version of the vBulletin forum software, and will not work with newer software.

It was abandoned by its developers a couple of years ago and was degrading over time. You may have noticed the posts about newer iPads having problems logging in; that kind of trouble was headed your way, maybe as soon as your next iOS upgrade.

Three options to replace the app on mobile

Option 1: The new software employs what is called "responsive design." It redesigns itself on the fly to accommodate different devices. It looks awesome on iPad and quite good on a phone, simply by using Safari or Chrome mobile browsers.

On an Apple device, just navigate to the site in Safari, then look for the share icon: Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 4.20.12 PM.png

One of the options is putting an icon (a "shortcut" for you Windows guys) on the home screen of your device. Tapping that will connect you to the forums.

Option 2: Download an app called Forum Runner. Once installed click Forum Browser and search for sailboat. The forum you want is SailboatOwners.com 2015.

Let me know how this works.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
And looks good on my iPhone 6.
A lot of sites now "adapt" to your mobile device and SBO looks like it does pretty well.
Posted from my iPhone 6

Dec 25, 2014
Catalina 27 Pasadena, Md
If there is a similar way for android please post it, still don't know my way around my phone for lots of things.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
So I'm guessing I'll need to uninstall and reinstall the ap on my Android then Phil ?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
No, the app is done and it won't work again. Open your mobile browser and go to the forum list at http://forums.sailboatowners.com

You can then make an icon on your home screen that will open your browser and open that page, like a bookmark. I don't know how to do that on Android but I'm sure someone here does.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Is it "stuck" in your posting field? The good part about that is, if your computer crashes or you get interrupted, that will stick for 24 hours. If you wish to remove that, just highlight/delete or backspace through it all until the field is blank. Then let it sit there blank for a minute or two. Or ignore it, that will work, too. :)

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Is it "stuck" in your posting field? The good part about that is, if your computer crashes or you get interrupted, that will stick for 24 hours. If you wish to remove that, just highlight/delete or backspace through it all until the field is blank. Then let it sit there blank for a minute or two. Or ignore it, that will work, too. :)
thanks thats sorta what i did ....back spaced everything and then wrote a new comment just to get rid of it lol

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
That's going to be a bit annoying 364 days a year but when that one day comes when we lose a 1000 word post, we'll be glad we have it.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Here is what I did in Android (though there are so many variants this may not always work).
Opened the Chrome browser.
Typed in the site URL (as noted by Phil above).
Used the menu in the upper right (three vertical dots), selected "add to Home Screen".
That puts a bookmark icon on your Android desktop that'll open the forums (whichever one you were on when you added to the home screen).
In some versions you may have to create a bookmark in the browser and then in your Applications list, figure out how to add that bookmark to the desktop.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I basically did the same thing using my Moto G and FF for Android. The forums look very nice on my Moto G, but I personally need a bigger screen. I might go with a 5.5" screen for my next phone.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
My eyes are way too long gone to use a phone for this, except in dire emergencies. I can pretty much tell it's a forum, though. anything beyond I need a tablet or one of the iOS clown phones.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The ViewSonic 32" is a not a great mobile device, but the forum looks most excellent on it..

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Is it my perception, or has this new layout seemed to attract more people and comments?

Which is a good thing.