What does this switch do?

Jul 27, 2017
Catalina 30 5167 Texas
In my 88 TRBSWK I have a switch on the electrical panel that says "VOLTS READ".

Had the flash on so bad picture but here is the location.
wtf..JPG

What is the purpose of this switch?

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
I believe that is for a battery volt reading. Press it while on battery 1 and it will show in the meter on the panel. Switch to battery 2 and so forth.

Jul 27, 2017
Catalina 30 5167 Texas
Ok, here is a zoomed out picture of the panel.
So that "VOLTS READ" switch is not a selector, so no center position. It is just an on/off type switch.
In the top right corner someone has added an analog battery test switch, which is what you may have been hinting towards.
Switching the volts read switch does not appear to do anything. However I was on shore power though when I was trying to figure it out and I did not get around to tracing the wires on the back of it. I just figure if someone else had one, they could educate me.
Electrical panel.jpg

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I'd guess that it used to read what voltage was at the battery select switch common. And the old meter broke or something - thus the replacement on the upper right of the panel.

If you pulled the panel, I'd wager a beer that switch goes nowhere.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yes, that voltmeter looks like a more recent addition, you will need to get into the back of the panel to confirm any modifications.

Jul 27, 2017
Catalina 30 5167 Texas
I'll have a look behind the panel Saturday and get a picture, need to replace a breaker anyway. I'll circle back around with the outcome. Thanks for all the input!

Jul 27, 2017
Catalina 30 5167 Texas
panel_back.jpg
Here is a picture of the back of the panel. The two wires connected to the 'volts read' switch were red and black and twisted together and go down from the panel into the unknown. I was pressed for time so I didn't get a chance to figure out where they might go. Pretty sure they do not go to the batteries. I know with 100% certainty that the red one does not.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Switch appears to have been re-purposed by previous owner.. nothing else has twisted pairs.. a stereo or sound system? The pink(?) wire coming from the left battery input lug in the 1-B-2 switch looks like a stereo memory retention wire with its fuse .. just guessing..

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Check continuity between the switch and the battery meter. That will confirm if they are 'related'

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
definitely WAS the volts read switch that powered the voltage meter on the top right.. purpose is to see the voltage level of the battery bank... yours was repurposed, you'll need to do some wire tracing to see where the ends go..