What does it cost to ship a 36' boat from Massachusetts to California

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
FastOlson... It may be he wants a newer boat. It maybe that the wife wants more out of a boat then the present one provides. Or he may have won the lottery and has to spend spend spend... Like a good boat owner would.
a budget, a picky wife and the boat we want is a Catalina 36

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I did this myself in 1999; shipped my Pearson 30 from Florida to Long Beach, CA rather than buy a different boat in CA. Here's the equation that lead me to that decision. The 19-yr-old boat had an estimated value of $20,000. Selling through a brokerage could mean 10% commission on the selling price. Then, purchase of a replacement boat in CA, the sales tax would be I think about 8.5%. So, say the replacement is $5,000 more for one in comparable condition. We have $2,000 + $2,125 = $4,125 transaction costs.

The initial shipping estimate/quote I got was around $6,000, BUT if I was willing to wait for a double load to form (i.e., two boats on one trailer), then it would be half that amount. So that's what I did. However, it cost me about a grand on each end to decommission and then recommission the boat in Long Beach. Out of pocket the total shipping cost came to some change over $5,000, which in the world of boating costs is basically a wash against the transaction cost of selling and then buying, etc.

The intangibles. My P-30 was in very good condition. The available boats I saw while scoping out the situation in CA were not in as good condition. The variety of choices for boats is much less in CA that on the east coast. This wouldn't matter to someone looking for a Catalina to replace a Catalina. But forget it trying to find another P-30. The practical choices would be limited to Cal, Ericson, Catalina, Hunter, & Newport, plus an assortment of even older models from companies out of business such as Islander and Ranger, etc. But you would not be seeing much in the way of Morgans, Irwins, Gulfstars, Pearsons, Tartans, Sabres, and etc.

Just another FYI. I recently got a quote to ship my Bavaria 38 from Long Beach to Tacoma; it was about $8,300. Add in the decommission and recommission, and we have about $10,000 for that job @ less than half the distance you're talking about.

KG

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
A budget of $30 K to $40 K for a 36' Catalina sounds low to me unless he is looking at models that are really long in the tooth. Not surprisingly, the ones he has seen were in bad condition, if the price tag fit the budget. I doubt any on the east coast would be worth looking at, either, in that price range, unless they want a 30 year old model and lucked into one that is in great condition.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Ever think about picking up your dream Catalina in the Great Lakes area (Fresh Water Boat) and then ship from that point. Just a thought, I know you had stated that you are just going to look at PNW boat now, but it may be worth a shot to just have a look.

Oct 26, 2008
You can't just call up Casey Jones and have him be ready to have your boat placed on a flat bed rail car. Seriously......
I was wondering how tall a 36' sailboat with fixed keel would sit on a rail car, and could you actually travel by rail all the way across the country and avoid bridges that would not have the clearance?

Oct 26, 2008
Ever think about picking up your dream Catalina in the Great Lakes area (Fresh Water Boat) and then ship from that point. Just a thought, I know you had stated that you are just going to look at PNW boat now, but it may be worth a shot to just have a look.
I doubt those freshwater boats would meet the budget. Don't you pay extra for those northern boats that are pampered all summer in freshwater and all winter under a cover?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I hadn't noticed much difference in pricing in general, but one thing for sure a FW boat a few years older would certainly have a better chance of being in better condition, don't you think.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I wouldn't ship a boat by rail, just too many things which can go wrong, as stated they (rail companies) don't seem to care about schedule and shipments (whole cars) seem to get lost on sidings and in main yards waylaid until who knows when. We once shipped very large tanks down to Monterrey MX, which we found and recovered in Laredo Texas from Detroit MI area, the tanks ended up being 5 weeks late and caused late penalty fees against the project. In contacting the rail company, they have this who cares attitude, it was just painful.

Oct 26, 2008
With a quick look, a 1996 model was priced at $70,000 from Indiana. All that are around 20 years old or newer are more. It sounds like the shipping cost is the least of the problem in finding a Catalina 36 in the budget.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Thank You All for your replies. We have decided to consider local boats only. Found one in the PNW that we could sail down to the Bay Area.

It's sad to see some of the boats we have been looking at unused and just rotting away.
The main thing is "Get The Boat Inspected before you PAY$$$!" And above all "not" from a friend but, an Actual Licensed Surveyor. they may be asking cheap-cheap money but will cost you lots-lots to put into service. The other thing is it also helps you with the purchase price too! Example: let's say the report comes in and shows one area that needs attention now before it goes back into the water. Problem with damaged rudder below the waterline. Estimated to fix $3K now you go back to the seller and say this is what ill pay - $3k. Of course, they say we will have it fixed! (by brother BaBa) That good but my surveyor will have to approve all work here on out.. usually the buckle and take 3k off the sale price.
hope this helps! Capt Rob

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Thanks. Found one in the PNW that we could sail down to the Bay Area.
Well, maybe you'll wish to do that. Many do; but it's not exactly a just so-so sail half way down the west coast. There is a lot of fog, high seas much of the time, cold even in mid-summer, & most of the (few) harbors along the way have sand bars, some with treacherous reputations, that must be crossed to enter if you wish to get out of it. You're better off shipping the boat you now own IMHO; fewer unknowns. In the end, you likely are not going to save enough money against shipping the present boat to justify what you will likely run into (spend) to continue ownership in SF Bay in a replacement one. Unless you and your wife are good, experienced sailors who do not get seasick, I predict you will end up shipping the "new" boat to SF from the PNW anyway, or else hiring a delivery captain.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@Kings Gambit I guess that would depend on far of a journey one was looking at 100 miles not so bad, 500 miles well then you are talking about careful planning and timing. I would imagine the Pacific can and does wield its fury on occasion. A new to the captain sailboat would add some definite risks to the trip as well.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
@Kings Gambit I guess that would depend on far of a journey one was looking at 100 miles not so bad, 500 miles well then you are talking about careful planning and timing. I would imagine the Pacific can and does wield its fury on occasion. A new to the captain sailboat would add some definite risks to the trip as well.
Here's a recent testimonial. We're talking about 800 n.mi. from Neah, WA.
http://www.oceannavigator.com/January-February-2019/Passage-to-San-Francisco/

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It's about 700 nautical miles. It's doubtful that you'd get a weather window wide enough for that, so plan your hops accordingly. At least you'll be in cell range all the way and should have good weather forecasting.
As mentioned it can be a very tough trip, but certainly doable, if you have the time.
just pick your stops very carefully.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I have three sailing friends who have made the trip into southern California. One in a Formosa Ketch; either 41 or 43/44 ft--can't recall; a second in an O'Day 40, and the latest one this year a friend in an Alajuela 38 MKII @ 27,000# displacement. The crews of first two were owners + delivery skippers (no wives or girlfriends); the last friend came down solo (non-stop) to Long Beach. The O'Day trip was low wind w/ big, wallowing seas, 200 n.mi. offshore. Not much fun, so I was told.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is about planning and not having a time table to get somewhere so much so that you throw caution to the wind.
Our Member @Stu Jackson cruised north up the route from San Francisco to Vancouver Island BC in 2016. Took his time visited all of the available harbors. Sailed over the treacherous bars which his son said were nothing to write home about. His son eventually came to realize that the bar crossings were planned so as to make them uneventful by Stu.
http://aquavite224.blogspot.com/ A great story.

I have also heard the tail of a Yacht Broker from Portland who agreed to go along with the new owner of a 60 footer wanting to get the boat down to LA. They headed out of the Columbia a week late. Made it to Coos Bay Oregon before the storm hit. By Coos Bay you are pretty much committed. Everyone became sick. The broker said he stood watch 7 on 3 off for 3 days while the storm and waves blew them south. Not a fun trip even for a guy in his 30's. I hope he got a good commission.

It is all about planning and having a boat ready for the passage.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
One facet that not all readers may be considering is the difference in condition/deterioration in boats based strictly their latitude and the type of water they are in, and the amount of time spent actually IN the water.
A friend of mine cheerfully paid the trucking cost to bring a Great Lakes C&C 35 out to Oregon. He calculated that it had half the usage due to being hauled every winter, and when afloat was in fresh water with far less UV degradation to the gel coat.
(That's the reason that older production boats are 'dirt cheap' in Florida, Texas, and SoCal.)

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Totally agree that when buying an older boat, where it has spent its life is a huge factor. Personally, I would only consider an older boat that spent its life in fresh water or New England - the difference in condition compared to a boat further south on the East Coast is incredible. I spent two years looking for my latest boat and eventually found one in excellent shape with very light use (~500 hrs. on the engine) - even boats in Long Island were noticeably rougher than what is available in New England (especially Maine). I saw a couple of Great Lakes boats that looked amazing, unfortunately the beauty was only skin deep on those two. My feeling is that if you add 10K to the cost of a really nice New England or Great Lakes boat it would still beat just about any deal you would find in California, Oregon, Washington (where the prices are definitely higher) so it's not such a crazy idea. However, it would be much more work than finding one that is local.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
This is why I suggested a boat from the Great Lakes, with a 40 K budget a fresh water boat has a far better chance of being a great buy. I have know of a great boat for exactly what the OP wants but I don't want to cross any lines here, so I have to be careful of how much I publish.