What does it cost to ship a 36' boat from Massachusetts to California

Mar 16, 2009
Hunter Vision-36 Richmond
Hello All:
Looking at possibly buying a boat on the East coast and having it shipped to the West coast. I received one quote, from the Yachtworld site, for $10,000. Do you think that is high? If I shop, what can expect for fee? Has anyone ever done this? What did you pay?
Thanks,
Mike

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Don't you think for half that 10k more, you could find a boat in Ca that is just as good or better than the one you'd have to ship?

Mar 16, 2009
Don't you think for half that 10k more, you could find a boat in Ca that is just as good or better than the one you'd have to ship?
I have to satisfy a budget, a picky wife and the boat we want is a Catalina 36 in the 30 to 40K range. Slim pickins. Looked at a real POS in Moss Landing last weekend. The boat was rotting.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Mike!
10K sounds about right! East coast to the West coast. However, It also depends on type and size and construction of the vessel to be transported. Fiberglass is cheaper than wooden vessels for a verity of reasons. For some reason in Calf. the boat owners think they have gold in their vessels whereas on the East coast they are a bit more realistic on values IMO. My father lived in north Sanfransisco and his vessel was a sailboat 1989 33ft Pearson and paid $65k for it. That same boat sold out here for 27k and actually was in better shape. the only difference was he had 2 new sails. Ant to me that didn't justify more than $35k. When he got it hauled out of the water to paint the bottom he found...Yes, Bad news! Only one coat of paint and a lot of bad fiberglasses the sea took its toll.. He did have it inspected before buying it but the guy just read his maintenance logs and told my dad see, it just got done last year so save the money from hauling it out. Dad just said ok your the inspector here. It cost him $30k to fix the bottom. So dad spent over 100k++ for his boat. So I guess that EastCoast $27k looked pretty good to him now! LOL Ya, he could have sued but, then it would have been even more $$$$ down the river.
so IMO 10K is a drop in the bucket. In My Opinion!

cptjak

Apr 13, 2010
CS 36 T Channel Islands Harbor
I have only moved one boat from Texas to Southern California, not close to the distance you are talking about, but I did learn to shop around for different shippers. They Will ask you how much shipper-A quoted you and either bad mouth them or try to beat the quote. You may even luck out and find one that has a boat going the other direction to offset their dead head costs.

Mar 16, 2009
Mike!
10K sounds about right! East coast to the West coast. However, It also depends on type and size and construction of the vessel to be transported. Fiberglass is cheaper than wooden vessels for a verity of reasons. For some reason in Calf. the boat owners think they have gold in their vessels whereas on the East coast they are a bit more realistic on values IMO. My father lived in north Sanfransisco and his vessel was a sailboat 1989 33ft Pearson and paid $65k for it. That same boat sold out here for 27k and actually was in better shape. the only difference was he had 2 new sails. Ant to me that didn't justify more than $35k. When he got it hauled out of the water to paint the bottom he found...Yes, Bad news! Only one coat of paint and a lot of bad fiberglasses the sea took its toll.. He did have it inspected before buying it but the guy just read his maintenance logs and told my dad see, it just got done last year so save the money from hauling it out. Dad just said ok your the inspector here. It cost him $30k to fix the bottom. So dad spent over 100k++ for his boat. So I guess that EastCoast $27k looked pretty good to him now! LOL Ya, he could have sued but, then it would have been even more $$$$ down the river.
so IMO 10K is a drop in the bucket. In My Opinion!
Thanks for the info. But 10K is a big drop in the bucket for me.

Mar 16, 2009
I have only moved one boat from Texas to Southern California, not close to the distance you are talking about, but I did learn to shop around for different shippers. They Will ask you how much shipper-A quoted you and either bad mouth them or try to beat the quote. You may even luck out and find one that has a boat going the other direction to offset their dead head costs.
Thanks CPTJAK, going back to looking for Catalina 36's along the west coast. There is a peculiar absence of this make and model in the SF Bay area. Seems like two years ago, they were all over the bay area.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm early in the process of thinking of moving a 26' boat from LI to FL. I'd much rather sell it in NY but so far that hasn't happened. So $2 a mile was a rough estimate. That would make your $10,000 look like a pretty good number. You have to consider the prep of the boat, which would be done by the yard where it is and the set up where it will end up. That would, of course, be ala carte.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I had $4k, $6k and $8k quotes for moving several different boats in the South East area. They were in the 30' - 34' range from TN ($4k), GA ($6k) and SC ($8k) to northern AL. The SC move was a factory new boat and included full new boat commisioning so that was why it was high.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Mike,
If you have to go all the way to the east coast from California to find a Catalina 36 at a price that makes the cost of shipping worth while, then look into rail shipping prices. You should be able get her to a railroad pickup location right on the waterfront in places like Baltimore or Boston or Miami. You might have to sail her a day or so to get her to a commercial dock that can do it but the prices may be significantly cheaper than trucking or hiring a delivery captain.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Rail shipping is really not an idea that will work.
Though one thinks of trains as precision time managed, shipping on them is not. Booking a rail car is a complicated and a bit iffy proposition. You will be loading and unloading the boat to the rail car by truck at both ends. The boat will likely sit in a rail-yard for an unknown length of time awaiting a time to be added to a cross country train. And once finally scheduled it can get bumped some where in Nevada or Nebraska or Utah and side tracked waiting.
The only practical transport for a boat is by truck, if you want to see it in California.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
As others have pointed out, don't forget that shipping isn't the only cost involved, and the other costs can be significant.

Typically the shipper shows up to pick up a fully prepped boat and drives it from point a to point b. That means the mast stepped and prepped for shipping, external bits and pieces stripped off the boat (which can be extensive, depending on what's sticking out or up off the boat), all hazmat like fuel, oil, propane gone from the boat, etc. There's a LOT that goes into all of that when done properly. Not saying you can't do it yourself, but so much is involved people often contract their yard to do the work, which isn't cheap. If its not done right, and the truck gets inspected and fails for the load (e.g. oops, gas can left onboard) your boat can sit impounded until everything gets squared away and fines paid. Then it all has to be put back together on the other end when it gets where its going - so more yard fees to put the mast back up, rig the boat, etc.

Takeaway: Add up ALL of the costs, not just the shipping cost. Not trying to discourage you - I considered the very same option for buying a boat in FL that was way below market price and shipping it up to VA (didn't have the time to bring it up the ICW), but in the end it made more sense to find something in my area and "spend" that shipping $$$ on a bigger/more upgraded boat (glad I didn't buy that boat anyway!!). But I understand the weight of the Admiral's input, and the likely scarcity of a particular exact boat which fits those specs. Maybe work gently on expanding boat options? Just a thought.

Good luck.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Mike,
If you have to go all the way to the east coast from California to find a Catalina 36 at a price that makes the cost of shipping worth while, then look into rail shipping prices. You should be able get her to a railroad pickup location right on the waterfront in places like Baltimore or Boston or Miami. You might have to sail her a day or so to get her to a commercial dock that can do it but the prices may be significantly cheaper than trucking or hiring a delivery captain.

-Will (Dragonfly)
I work for one of the largest 3rd Party Logistics companies in the world. This is so not right. You can't just call up Casey Jones and have him be ready to have your boat placed on a flat bed rail car. Seriously......

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
I have to satisfy a budget, a picky wife and the boat we want is a Catalina 36 in the 30 to 40K range. Slim pickins. Looked at a real POS in Moss Landing last weekend. The boat was rotting.
When we were boat shopping, I did all my homework, read all the information that I could find and decided that a Catalina 34 would be the perfect boat for us. We soon found that there weren't many Catalina boats for sail in the PNW that were worth considering. So our broker, who was a Beneteau & Hunter dealer asked if we ever considered a Hunter. She showed us a couple and the Admiral made the decision that she much preferred the Hunter.
I don't know what led you to decide the Catalina 36 is the boat for you, but you may be surprised to look at some other models available in your price range and in your area.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The best advice is to check other shippers. Do not disclose the cost. B iggest problem many shippers cannot get back hauls as most sailboat manufacturers some time ago left California due to environmental rules. Any thoughts shipping on board ship from east coast via Panama Canal or hiring a qualified skipper going by sea vial Panama Canal?

Mar 16, 2009
Thank You All for your replies. We have decided to consider local boats only. Found one in the PNW that we could sail down to the Bay Area.

It's sad to see some of the boats we have been looking at unused and just rotting away.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
The OP already owns a 36' boat. I wonder why he wants another?