What do they say about no dumb questions,..

Jul 22, 2015
Catalina 27 MO
So.. I'm new to all this but I just want to make sure I am assuming correctly.
In this photos I'm looking at the top of he thru hull transducer for the depth gauge, the speed gage thru hull ( know this because I saw the spinning wheel under the boat) and the macerator with a thru hull discharge.

image-806080351.jpg

Also, any idea if the brown stuff on the hoses is mold or......worse?!?!?

Thanks
Scott

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
there is no way to really tell what all that is without chemical analysis but you can spray some Clorox bleach on all that and then rinse it thoroughly off and be in better shape ...then suck out the waste water with a shop vac or some rags you don't need any more

Jul 22, 2015
Catalina 27 MO
Thanks. Yes, the Admiral is ready to attack it. She doesn't like the idea of sleeping above it. I know there is lots of cleaning in our future!! ;)

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
get the admiral a book by Peggy Hall from this site on boat odors and it will help her and you with cleaning and how to keep it clean ...its the best money you will invest in a clean boat .....

Jul 22, 2015
Catalina 27 MO
get the admiral a book by Peggy Hall from this site on boat odors and it will help her and you with cleaning and how to keep it clean ...its the best money you will invest in a clean boat .....
Thanks! I've seen that book. Will have to get the order placed soon.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Also, any idea if the brown stuff on the hoses is mold or......worse?!?!?
Just the fact that it's growing in little clusters (colonies) gives you a better than 50% chance that it's mold. Follow Woodster's rec's and it should clear right up for a year or so. I've got two spots on our boat, lazarette lids, which are continuously plagued by this problem and need a bleach attack every year or so. Can't seem to permanently remove the problem.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Bleach doesn't really kill mold, it just removes the stains. The mold will return. White vinegar is more effective, then follow with the bleach. (Don't mix them!)

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
Bleach doesn't really kill mold, it just removes the stains. The mold will return. White vinegar is more effective, then follow with the bleach. (Don't mix them!)
That's bull, bleach will kill anything if used correctly. Vinegar will only kill something if it can not live in a low pH and you use enough to get the pH to that level.

Mar 29, 2015
MacGregor 25 trailer sailer
I was told by a mold remediation company to clean with bleach then to keep it from returning to use hydrogen peroxide to kill the spores. H2O2 will not stain or smell. Buy at a hair beauty supply for a deal on quantity. We sprayed the entire bilge area. Works for us. Hope that helps. Full sails!

Jul 22, 2015
Catalina 27 MO
Thanks guys! Sadly "real" work gets in the way of the "fun" sailboat work... Hopefully will get some stuff done this weekend!

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I have found Clorox wipes to work really well on the boat. I think the leave a residue or some such because the more we use them the less mildew/crud we get. Usually do an annual wipe down of everything in the boat in the spring. Think the issue with us is condensation on the overhead in the winter. Lucky for us no mold in the spaces, just old n dirty.