What do I need to have and what should I have on my 170 when I head out on the bay in NJ?

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
I plan on getting floating VHF, a mast float and some decent life vests for starters. I will need also the type IV throwable floatation. My reading of the CG requirements I believe I just need an emergency flag, not flares.
It came with an anchor (never used I think), couple of fenders, some extra thick dock lines and some odds and ends stainless pins and clips.
What kind of air horn works well?
What things should I carry like tools?
Is there a cooler that works well? What about things to hold stuff, what works? What about keeping my cell dry? I was thinking water proof bluetooth headphones so I can access the phone in the case.

What should I be taking with me?

Thanks!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You don't need a phone if you have a vhf.... and you certainly don't need headphones... unless you just want to listen to some tunes... in which case I recommend a regular waterproof bt speaker. A plastic case for the phone could be helpful.

Sep 5, 2018
Phone is to keep in touch with people on shore. I am likely to have kids friends with me.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
The H170 is a bit tender. A floating waterproof case for valuables like a cell phone. A drybag might be nice to have for sweatshirts, guest's electronics, etc. Buy your cooler to fit the boat, and keep in mind you need to be able to crawl over it to reach the headsail when needed.

Sep 5, 2018
I am thinking water proof something that I can tie onto the boat just in case. I will also have a mast float too.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I’m not sure about USA regulations but I would point out that they likely state “minimum” requirements, adding a few extras such as flares might be a good practice to instill in your young crew. I’ve even used some of my expired flares over the years to teach people how to use them safely.
I always carry one of these as they are REALLY loud and don’t run out of air like the canned ones do, just keep pumping the handle as long as you want

1CBF98E6-8D75-4386-B146-7012839FFA24.jpeg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Both VHF and cell phone are line of sight. Calling 911, I know they will contact or send you over to the appropriate authorities in case of emergency on the water of earlier cases I knew of depending on the area. In mountains, they would on mountain lakes call the local police or sheriff's departments who generally have rescue boats as part of their equipment and/or call nearby marinas as a back up.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Don't take this the wrong way but towing insurance might not be a bad idea. Saved my butt more than once.

Sep 5, 2018
Both VHF and cell phone are line of sight. Calling 911, I know they will contact or send you over to the appropriate authorities in case of emergency on the water of earlier cases I knew of depending on the area. In mountains, they would on mountain lakes call the local police or sheriff's departments who generally have rescue boats as part of their equipment and/or call nearby marinas as a back up.
Busy back bay area with a lot of rec. boaters and such. Line of sight to cities and well traveled roads at all times. Right behind Ocean City, NJ- a major tourist area. CG and Ocean City police are always looking out in the area.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Here in the great white north, all the regulations aside, there hasn't been a hint of an inspection is over 20 years, and the guiding principle is that if you can't see a power plant, you shouldn't be on the lake. That simple thing hasn't let us down yet.

AlexB

Aug 9, 2016
C&C 36 Great Kills harbor.
I plan on getting floating VHF, a mast float and some decent life vests for starters. I will need also the type IV throwable floatation. My reading of the CG requirements I believe I just need an emergency flag, not flares.
It came with an anchor (never used I think), couple of fenders, some extra thick dock lines and some odds and ends stainless pins and clips.
What kind of air horn works well?
What things should I carry like tools?
Is there a cooler that works well? What about things to hold stuff, what works? What about keeping my cell dry? I was thinking water proof bluetooth headphones so I can access the phone in the case.

What should I be taking with me?

Thanks!
get small outboard, not electrical, about $300, mayby less.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@Shorefun sounds like you are just getting into the world of sailing, I would recommend that you bring with you a person who has some sailing experience the first few times just to help you along with managing the sail trim and the finer nuances of sailing.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
How are you set for navigation? Can you find your way to and from? Night will be difficult if you are out long. Have external lighting?
Make sure that new anchor is attached to the boat ;)

Sep 5, 2018
Sun on left shoulder I am going sort of south, sun on right shoulder I am going north.
I can always use my cell phone for a warning light at night (This actually happened in Panama taking a water taxi).

I should never be out at night. Navigation is easy I grew up here. Been out on other peoples boats and I owned a sit on ski so I know my way around. It is 100% surrounded with population. Odds are real high that I could just drift into some rich persons dock. Then I am sure the police will come by and tell me I am too poor to be this close to that house.

My older neighbor across the street will go out with me to help me learn the sails. He has been on the water all his life and has owned Hobie cats on up to a 27' sailboat. He knows all the rules of the water and when he has taken me out on his motor boat he reminds me of the right of ways.

AlexB

Aug 9, 2016
C&C 36 Great Kills harbor.
Use Polaris navigation GPS app, free, works great, if you download maps. Works w/o internet.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Sun on left shoulder I am going sort of south, sun on right shoulder I am going north.
I can always use my cell phone for a warning light at night (This actually happened in Panama taking a water taxi).

I should never be out at night. Navigation is easy I grew up here. Been out on other peoples boats and I owned a sit on ski so I know my way around. It is 100% surrounded with population. Odds are real high that I could just drift into some rich persons dock. Then I am sure the police will come by and tell me I am too poor to be this close to that house.

My older neighbor across the street will go out with me to help me learn the sails. He has been on the water all his life and has owned Hobie cats on up to a 27' sailboat. He knows all the rules of the water and when he has taken me out on his motor boat he reminds me of the right of ways.
:) Ugh! (Facing the bow) Sun on left shoulder you are going sort of WEST, sun on right shoulder you are going EAST. The reason for port and starboard vs. right and left is because nautical terms refer to the boat, but L/R refer to YOU.
I think it would be a very good idea to get some lessons. If there is a Powersquadrons course near you, sign up, or seek out a basic sailing course.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
:) Ugh! (Facing the bow) Sun on left shoulder you are going sort of WEST, sun on right shoulder you are going EAST. The reason for port and starboard vs. right and left is because nautical terms refer to the boat, but L/R refer to YOU.
I think it would be a very good idea to get some lessons. If there is a Powersquadrons course near you, sign up, or seek out a basic sailing course.
Or you could just get a compass.... Every boat should have a compass.

Sep 5, 2018
Or you could just get a compass.... Every boat should have a compass.
If I need a compass where I am sailing I am bigger trouble then the compass can help with on this boat!!!
My biggest hazards are watching for the shallow muddy areas and the packs of recreational boaters that have big motors and no idea what they are doing. Hey I will be one of those recreational boaters, at least I wont be making much noise (laughing at my screw ups maybe).
If we find going out on the boat is fun enough I may move up to something like a Catalina 22 swing keel on a trailer. Then I would consider ocean runs and my nav equipment will be much more enhanced. There is a guy around the corner with a 27 Catalina sitting on stands who might darn near give me the boat (he thinks the cost to move it is more then the value of the boat), catch is paying to have it moved and stored and slip fees.
One step at a time.
I am currently an out of work Federal worker. I am going to do some research on floating VHF radios and what looks like the best value for the money. Seems cheap ones have poor batteries and I think I want good batteries even at a better cost. I would like to get a low cost GPS that records where we went and how fast we went. That would add some fun to the trips. If I had some Gopros I think I could make a comedy channel on learning to sail. No one has a good nsingle youtube channel that I have found dealing with just starting to sail from the absolute beginners perspective. I am trying to piece together all I need from what it takes to be legal on the water to what you need to safely enjoy the day. I think that might be some more encouragement for others to get out and try it. I think there are a bunch of people seeing the cruising people and are not sure what it means to get out and sail a boat that gets you started with the basics.
I used a lot of 'I's" above. Guess I best move on with my day as a temporary house dad.