What, besides Sailing, is a hobby for you ?

Discussion in 'Sails Call Lounge' started by Leeward Rail, May 16, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Bill19233

Bill19233

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    449 posts, 346 likes
    Hunter 340
    US Baytown TX
    I don't know the difference. I have always used Flickr, can't really remember why I started with it years ago, it was always free and never had the need to try other photo sharing sites. Flickr recently added a photo limit that you had to pay once you passed and I was way over, so I'm paying for this page. But I got several more that are still free. And it's only like 10 bucks a year or something like that.

2. gettinthere

gettinthere

Joined Nov 26, 2008
    1,867 posts, 162 likes
    Endeavour 42
    US Cruisin
    There's something else to do besides sailing? Oh wait...drinking, almost forgot that. And sex. Sleep is underrated, eating is overrated. Telling lies qualify?

3. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    1,368 posts, 289 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    My problem is that both of my toys are “summer” toys...

IMG_1149.JPG

Lots of things to do in the summer...

Greg

Will Gilmore likes this.
  4. agprice22

agprice22

Joined Aug 3, 2012
    2,382 posts, 595 likes
    Performance Cruising Telstar 28
    302 US Watkins Glen
    Swells in Florida were always better in Winter. The offshore wind kept them nice and clean.

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho

Joined Dec 28, 2015
    327 posts, 134 likes
    Laser, Hunter H30 Standard
    Un Tacoma
    I've been a wood worker for about 15 years. I have built a wood shop in my shop that has paid for itself (tools and shop) several times over. I built all of the cabinets in my house ( inset face frame out of maple, mahogany and oak. I also enjoy RC planes and photography.

LloydB and Will Gilmore like this.
  6. kmart

kmart

Joined Jan 1, 2012
    81 posts, 39 likes
    Pearson 10M
    US Fall River, MA
    ok so in the off season when the boat is covered for the long norther winters...
    Still related to sailing... I'm a model Shipwright.
    Make models of Tall Ship's like the USS Constitution( working on now)
    Or HMS Victory.
    P1010003.JPG 20171006_174729.jpg

Attached Files:

rpludwig, Gene Neill, Parsons and 4 others like this.
  7. Project_Mayhem

Project_Mayhem

Joined Sep 24, 2018
    383 posts, 73 likes
    O'Day 25
    US Waukegan
    On top of working full time I also run a small audio/video/lighting company. Sleep and sanity is a luxury but a decent shop full of tools is essential
    SAM_0381.jpg

Attached Files:

LloydB and Will Gilmore like this.
  8. vidalia

vidalia

Joined Apr 15, 2019
    9 posts, 5 likes
    Hunter 26.5
    US Grosse Ile
    My husband and I do community theatre. We were thinking in retirement, we can sail from port to port auditioning for plays we are interested in, and stay if we were cast, other wise sail on to the next town!

LloydB, Parsons, Cowpokee and 2 others like this.
  9. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,692 posts, 440 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    Love playing piano, dabble at composing and getting together at jam sessions. I'm a horrible golfer but sometimes I forget that and get out to the links anyway....
    I enjoy reading.... if that can be called a hobby... especially historical fiction such as Patrick O'Brian and that genre.
    I'm in the process of redesigning my workshop and look forward to building more useless woodworking projects..... but I do love my power tools.
    I've always loved video games.... and at age 72 I feel like I invented them... from pong, breakout, centipede all the way up to the incredible action games we see now... such as Tomb Raider, Red Dead Redemption II, Fallout 4..... It's been an incredible evolution and I feel lucky to connect to all ages of gamers.... you would be astounded at how many different types of people enjoy them.... men, women, old, young,,,..but we're all the same when we talk about video gaming.
    That's just a few of my interests.... I honestly think that sailors are more sophisticated and self sufficient..... it just comes with the evolution the sailing experience provides.
    When I was much younger I was a model railroader... I'm still an avid reader of the mr publications and will go visit the large clubs when the opportunity arises.. but my passion has waned as space and time evaporated over the year.
    IMHO, fishing and golf are the two most dangerous hobbies.... they can be all consuming and take you away from the family, unless you can find a way to share with them..... which is very very difficult. oh well.

Parsons and Will Gilmore like this.
  10. RussC

RussC

Joined Sep 11, 2015
    1,233 posts, 578 likes
    Macgregor 25
    US Oregon lakes
    Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? o_O

11. Brian D

Brian D Moderator

Joined Feb 17, 2006
    4,444 posts, 1,065 likes
    Lancer 27PS
    US MCB Camp Pendleton, Ca KF6BL
    I venture off in several hobbies.

I am a practicing Studio Photographer with a home studio (lights, camera, sit still will ya?)
    http://briandphoto.net/

I am also a starving musician.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/briand

And my wife has turned me into the gardener. Right now it is growing season and I am nursing lantana flowers intermixed with plumeria trees and 1 each orange, lemon, and persimmon trees.

Sailing? Who has time for that! LOL

AlastairLC and agprice22 like this.
  12. thinwater

thinwater

Joined Mar 26, 2011
    2,320 posts, 564 likes
    Corsair F-24 MK I
    US Deale, MD
  13. walt

walt

Joined Jun 1, 2007
    3,261 posts, 402 likes
    Macgregor 26S Hobie TI, Capri Coronado 15
    US Denver, Colorado
    Both my wife and I enjoy Cactus gardening during the winter.. From about mid March until early May we get flowers. A single flower might bloom one day only, some bloom for up to maybe three days but with enough cactus and different types, we get daily flowers. This garden is about four years old now and the pictures are all from this spring. Extremely low water use.

sb1.jpg sb2.jpg sb3.jpg sb4.jpg sb5.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Parsons, RussC and TomY like this.
  14. dlochner

dlochner

Joined Jan 11, 2014
    3,799 posts, 1,761 likes
    Sabre 362
    113 US Fair Haven, NY
    There is something to do besides sailing?

Over the past few years I have become involved in the restoration/completion of a 65' steel schooner that may someday become a tall ship training program for youth. It has been a real learning experience.

IMG_0889.jpg

Since retiring Susan and I have been traveling. Italy, Hawaii (2x), England & Scotland, Maine, Cape Cod, Adirondacks, NYC and a few other places. And of course annual sailing trips on the Lake.

I've also been dabbling in creating video, far more challenging than I first expected. I have a lot more respect for the YouTubers out there! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdqgWAUaixLCFVMj4mCQaqA/featured?disable_polymer=true

Good Old Boat magazine has been generous and paid me for a few pieces I wrote.

And from time to time I update my websites, SV-SecondStar.net and NauticalReads.com

TomY likes this.
  15. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    5,228 posts, 2,558 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    I grow and sometimes hybridize daylilies. I also spend a lot of time studying the Apollo program. I’m particular interested in Apollo 16.

Attached Files:

16. FDL S2

FDL S2

Joined Jun 29, 2014
    286 posts, 135 likes
    S2 7.3
    US Fond du Lac
    In fall I hunt. During the winter and early spring I work on vehicle projects-I'm rebuilding a 302 to replace the tired one in my truck. I also run a few 5 and 10k races to keep myself honest about fitness. I'm also in the middle of a house remodel. Not sure which of those qualify as hobbies, but they keep me busy.

17. PotomacDaysailer

PotomacDaysailer

Joined Jun 14, 2010
    307 posts, 151 likes
    Seafarer 29
    US Oologah, OK
    I absolutely think that can be classified as a hobby - I am currently re-reading the POB canon (a.k.a. the Aubreyad) for oh about the 6th or 7th time - always find new stuff.
    I do Uber driving quite a bit, sort of a job/hobby - doesn't pay well but helps with cash flow and you meet some interesting/crazy people and learn a lot about the area - actually I combine the two, read while waiting for pings.

18. Ward H

Ward H

Joined Nov 7, 2011
    2,353 posts, 550 likes
    Catalina 30 Mk II
    US Barnegat, NJ
    I’ve been in model railroading all my life. O scale up to about 2005 when I moved outside to G scale garden railroading. This in turn led to a Koi pond and gardening.
    We’ve always had flower gardens with a focus on Daylillies.
    When we started sailing in 2012 that became our primary hobby but this year I’m trying to find a good balance between sailing, gardening and the trains.

Kermit likes this.
  19. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho

Joined Dec 28, 2015
    327 posts, 134 likes
    Laser, Hunter H30 Standard
    Un Tacoma
    Have you ever listed to the Space Rocket History Podcast? It sounds like it right down your alley. It's super indepth.

Kermit likes this.
  20. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    9,356 posts, 4,174 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Heard they Filmed Clint Eastwood growing and hybridizing daylilies. Then he found a lucrative hobby.
    Don’t go down the route of Clint.

Kermit likes this.

Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
-->