What are your favorite organization tips?

Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
I'm curious what everyone's favorite organization tips are.

Specifically, I'm curious about how you guys hang your boat hook inside the cabin, but realized it was an opportunity to learn about other storage ideas as well. I'm thinking about getting a pair of these "broom holders" and mounting them sideways. https://www.command.com/3M/en_US/co...294529207&preselect=5584742+3293786499&rt=rud

I'm a new boat owner, but I'll start off with a contribution. I'm a really big fan of the 3M Command hooks (link below) because they remain stuck well (so far), but can be easily be moved as needed to re-organize. I like the ones with the wider tip so things don't slip off when the water get rough.

(https://www.amazon.com/Command-Fore...ocphy=9011815&hvtargid=pla-349188984846&psc=1)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Organization is just so over rated.

DSC_0110.jpg DSC_0107.jpg

Taking the time and effort to put everything in its place is just wasted time away from sailing. :biggrin:

To answer your question about the boat hook, mine hangs from one of the bimini supports. That puts close to where I need it to retrieve hats and other things that blow overboard. Storing it in the cabin puts out of the way.

The two things I try to do is keep everything in its place and don't change the assigned place. Space on a boat is just too precious to randomly put stuff in different places. Various sized bins are also helpful. This helps to keep stuff from drifting all over the boat. Most of the hardware store that I carry is organized in to divided containers so I'm not digging through a box of loose nuts and bolts, same with electrical connectors.

About those photos, that is not how my boat typically looks. They were taken after the boat was set upright after being blown off its jack stands. :sosad:

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Similar to @dlochner , boat hook nearby in cockpit.

I've made an inventory of all the stuff in the various holds and cubbies, one on paper and another on the laptop which I try to keep current. A legend numbering all the keeps will take me to the proper one.
My cabin looks like dlochner's when I need something deep!

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I have two boat hooks mounted on the ceiling of the cabin reachable from the companionway using these nifty things. And one on the coach roof near the whisker pole. (My boat partner and Dad likes to have plenty of boat hooks.) I use nice wooden cigar boxes to hold personal items like keys and wallets etc. I also lable the slider doors as to what is behind them, what is in various boxes and lable the tops of lockers as to what treasure lay beneath them. On my boat I am big about putting everything back in its specific place. Life is way to short to be hunting through all the books and crannies of a boat all the time.
upload_2018-11-12_16-13-27.jpeg

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I have two boat hooks mounted on the ceiling of the cabin reachable from the companionway using these nifty things. And one on the coach roof near the whisker pole. (My boat partner and Dad likes to have plenty of boat hooks.) I use nice wooden cigar boxes to hold personal items like keys and wallets etc. I also lable the slider doors as to what is behind them, what is in various boxes and lable the tops of lockers as to what treasure lay beneath them. On my boat I am big about putting everything back in its specific place. Life is way to short to be hunting through all the books and crannies of a boat all the time.
View attachment 158397
I have two retractable boat hooks mounted on the cabin ceiling on both sides just inside the companionway.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
One of my storage solutions that I find very handy is where my whisker pole is stored. I could never find a spot where it was easy to get to from the cockpit, but out of the way when not in use. I always single hand, even when others are aboard, so access to everything is especially important. consists of a piece of thin wall aluminum tubing, with a plug at the forward end, installed into the upper starboard corner of the cabin. it's now out of the way, but easy to whip it out when needed.
P1030443.jpg P1030414.jpg P1030415.jpg

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Take everything that's not bolted down out lay out on dock. Then only put back what ya need where ya need it. You will be amazed at how much stuff accumulation happens in such a small space

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I learned that everything finds its own place. It's usually where you tend to be able to find things the next time. :)
My fixed boat hook lives on the coachroof, not strapped in, with its hook through an handhold loop, port side, no bimini. The collapsible one lives in the cockpit locker, near to hand. I try to avoid clutter down below.
Good luck in making YOUR choice.
Different size boats have different solutions. Rarely used a boat hook on our C22 or C25. Now, only to pick up lines when returning to our slip.
Your boat, your choice. :)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
View attachment 158397
Yep, we use exactly the same clips and the boat hook hangs vertically in the companionway. Not often much need to get it in a hurry as we do not ever go back for hats. lol
We have a pretty detailed inventory, however, it seems the one thing we often need isn't on there, like the spares for the electric toilet pump today.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I hang my two hooks on the grab rail in the companionway. I try and keep other stuff in plastic boxes with lids, and keep like stuff in them, sealants & adhesives in one, electrical crimp in one, engine gaskets and small spares.....

Les

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I keep the boathook in a cockpit locker. Its out of the way, but easily accessible. It's always out of the locker before docking. Sometimes I will let it rest in in a notched area on the coach roof hand rails just before approaching the dock.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Home Depot has n isle that ha every size of storage bin...... makes organizing nice.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Keep two boat hooks in the cockpit with ready access by mounting on the SS arch. One I use as a first choice, the other as a backup. I keep a spare in a locker in the main cabin.

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
I'll throw in a cooler suggestion.

we use 2 small containers each a different color. Breakfast goes in one. Dinner in the other.
This keeps the time that the cooler is open to a minimum as well as keeping the food from being in any melted ice...helping to keep the cooler clean.

We started this one the boat but now use the method for overlanding as well.

If we are carrying items for snacks or lunch that need refrigeration we use a third colored container.

Back when I was drinking beer (bourbon doesn't make me pee as much ;)) the sodas were kept on one side and the beer on the other.

Cooler management is an art. there are I am sure 100 other suggestions.