What are these holes?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Bulkheads provide much need structural rigidity to a boat. Removing them from a boat that had them is definitely not reccomended. In addition, your shroud chainplates were anchored to them, what are your plans for those?

Oct 8, 2016
O'DAY 22 East End Yacht Club
I think my plan is going to be to fashion a compression post for the mast and route one side of it to accept the port side bulkhead which I'll cut out of 1/2" PT Plywood and see what I can dress it up with. Maybe a piece of Luan on the exposed sides and stain it. I just don't know what kind of hardware is on the top and bottom of this post. I think I'm messing up my posts here because I was kind of going over this with Sunbird on another thread I was working on. I'm a Newbie please forgive my inexperience with the forums I'll try and be more coherent in the future.

Oct 8, 2016
Bulkheads provide much need structural rigidity to a boat. Removing them from a boat that had them is definitely not reccomended. In addition, your shroud chainplates were anchored to them, what are your plans for those?
Thanks Jack, I mean really THANKS! you are helping maybe without even realizing it.
After mulling over all of the comments I went into the cabin after work and sat and looked around at where the bulkhead would go in relation to the side stay chain plates and now I can see how and where they mount on the bulkhead panels. I have a bag of small parts from the PO that had some "L" shaped brackets in it that didn't look like they went anywhere, now I see where they go! Trying to reconstruct the parts on this boat with missing pieces is sure a detectives job. I wish I had a complete boat to look at it certainly would make things easier on me. Now I'm looking for clues for installing the compression post. There must of been some kind of hardware holding the top and bottom in place. I had emailed the PO and haven't gotten a response yet so maybe I'm on my own.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
My experience with previous owners is they are incredibly helpful -- right up to the moment the check clears.

Feb 25, 2017
Oday 22 Portland CT
Jack I agree with you Bulkheads can be a structural part of a boat if they are tabbed in but with the 22 they are not, mine just fit in slots in the ceiling and weren't supporting anything. I will be adding a nice structural compression post from under the mast straight down to the keel, should be a much stronger setup. I've made some 316 stainless chainplates with backing plates that I will mount to the hull with some extra fiberglass layers on the inside of the hull. I'm doing this for a number of reasons. The 22 is small inside and having the bulkheads reduces the amount of space I can use (big guy). Also its hard to walk past the shrouds to get to the foredeck so moving them to the hull gives me more room. I'm also installing a stronger forestay and backstay mounting bracket.

Feb 25, 2017
Oday 22 Portland CT
Roy to get back to your original question the bulkheads were screwed into the bunks from the front side. There was a small board that made a storage area screwed from the starboard bulkhead to the v berth. They are attached at the deck level with chainplates that bolt to the bulkhead and have L brackets that hook to the underside of the deck. The bulkheads were not screwed into the ceiling, just slid into the slots in the ceiling. They were not attached to the hull. I wish I could let you see my old ones for a template but unfortunately the have been cut up.

Oct 8, 2016
Hi Mark, I've gone to a Lumber yard and bought a rough sawn piece of White Oak and cut it slightly longer than the measurement inside the cabin, the sides I trued up on a table saw and I sized it to catch the 3 screws coming through the cabin roof from the mast step. Trying to get plumb while sitting on a trailer was difficult but in the end not unpleasant to the eye. Running short of time I decided to use the original Bulkhead that's delaminating in a bottom corner but sound otherwise. The edge of the Bulkhead lined up nicely with my post so my plan is now to finish reinforcing deck plates and complete the topside paint that is about 40% complete. I'll move on to building an electrical as soon as I can raise the mast while still at work to see if my compression post affected the standing rigging. Maybe someone can offer pointers on getting the turnbuckles properly adjusted.

Feb 25, 2017
Oday 22 Portland CT
Sounds like you have a handle on it. In regards to electrical systems I find I can run everything I need on AA Batteries and a lithium backup battery for my cell phone. That includes VHF Radio, Navigation Lights, Spotlight, Chartplotter, Interior lights and anchor light. The new LED lights are fantastic- will last a whole season with one set of batteries. Benefits of this system are its cheap, doesn't take up all the space a battery setup does and you don't have to run wires everywhere.

Oct 8, 2016
Hi Mark,
I'm thinking in terms of a Bilge pump, Deep cycle Battery and Solar Panel. The slip I'm going into is not powered yet so I'll need the Panel to keep things charged up. The Boat when I picked it up had some boxes in the Bilge of assorted items and in there were an am/fm/cd marine radio and a VHF Radio. I also would like to have provisions for powering a Sirius Radio. I'm going to need more watts to drive speakers than small batteries are going to provide. In the Cabin I'd like to be able to provide Cell phone charging ports fore and aft and maybe a small RV type water pump for a small sink if I manage to get around to building a small counter to house it.
Rudy at D&R sent me new Boom Vang assembly and Main sheet tackle. I found the originals wrapped up in the storm Jib, I assume its a storm Jib because it is pretty small and the other Jib , Fore Sail?, is quite large even larger than the Main but all the sails appear to be in good shape. The main seems to be new because it is quite stiff. I'm excited to get her in the water but I'm going to have to recruit some help to accomplish the launch. I'm just assuming that there will be some old timers at the Marina that would assist me.
Another thought that came to me when I was building that compression post was that I spotted some Styrofoam blocks under the forward section of the cabin but I've not seen any in the Bilge area. Once I'm done with the work in the Bilge I'll go to Home Depot or other and buy Styrofoam sheets, I think they are available in 2" thick, and I'll cut them to fit into the bilge without interfering with with other equipment. I'm thinking as much as I can pack in there would be a positive thing but maybe at least 10 cubic feet will offset the weight of the 600 Lb Keel. Maybe someone would like to "Weigh in" on this part of my project. Get it "Weigh in" Ha Ha!

Feb 25, 2017
Oday 22 Portland CT
The styrofoam in the bilge on mine is sealed under the cockpit floor and port side area behind the quarterberth. Its only in there in case the boat floods, its suppost to keep it from sinking completely. Considering it hasn't sunk in the last 40 years, I don't think you have to worry too much about sinking as there are no underwater thru hulls. I spent all last season on a mooring without a pump and my bilge was completely dry. If you do feel you need the extra flotation foam pool noodles work well for filling in areas. I've heard of people using two 6volt golf cart batteries, might be a good solution for storing in a small space.

Last edited: