What a difference a year makes

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Last November in Minnesota we had 12 days over 60F. This year, ZERO over 50F, and 1/2 have been freezing. The lake is almost ready to freeze. But we're still making our weekly Shackleton Cup runs to the other side of the lake for a beer, and last Thursday Dan (@cb32863 ) and I played PM hookey and went over for a late lunch. A professional photographer was taking pictures in Excelsior Bay and got this one of us leaving the bar and getting the spinnaker ready.

cropped.jpg

Cold, but a great spin run all the way home.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
This year, ZERO over 50F, and 1/2 have been freezing.
It has been like that here as well. Summer was great, came early but also left early.
The radio said 2017 was the 3rd warmest year on record right behind 2015 and 2016. This Winter doesn't look like it is going to hold the trend.
- Will (Dragonfly)
Great video. By the way.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We're on the other side of the coin. Everybody here is complaining that it's hotter than normal for this late in the year. Also, the wind has been much lighter than normal. Let us hope we have mild Christmas Winds this year, too.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Those late season sails are priceless. There aren't too many boats left in the water in Cutchogue so chances are dwindling. But I hear that a friend is keeping some Rhodes 19's in the water all winter in Greenport and will be sailing on nicer days. Sounds good to me. Sunny day, 10 kts, a bit of Rum - pretty good Saturday.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Will could you be secretly waiting for the “Water World” coming.
I live in the mountains overlooking a valley and a mountain range. I'm hoping to wakeup one day and find i own waterfront property and there are coconuts washing up onto my shore line.
- Will (Dragonfly)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I read this and thought how the same words can have such different meanings to a sailor depending on where he lives...
A nice day's sailing in Alaska is often in weather nobody in the lower 48 would consider a fit day for man or beast, out on the water. In Ak we went out almost daily on 30 footers, in weather our insurance company in Charleston, SC wouldn't have allowed us to leave the dock on an 84' schooner.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Michael. Yes Columbia River. CG would term it Moderate. The sun was shining so for OR it’s a nice day. The bar has several sections. This one happens to be nasty and where the CG school likes to play.