Westerbeke 27 longevity

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
I have a very good friend who's found the boat of his dreams. Unfortunately, the Westerbeke in it has 3800 hours. The boat has been very well cared for, spent its life in fresh water, but, because it's a sought-after Nonsuch, is pretty pricey. This poor guy went through two Perkins in his first boat, and that experience helped push him to go the electric motor route in that situation. His wife wants a boat that's easy to sail and is pushing for the Nonsuch, which he also greatly admires. The boat in question has been in storage (much of it indoors) for several years. Any engine testing will have to be done with it on the hard. My friend REALLY doesn't want another diesel engine fiasco. Any advice/opinions would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
John

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Impossible to tell without a thorough powertrain survey by and experienced engine surveyor. Yes, it is a specialty. It could be perfect, and ready for another 3800 hours, or it could be near death. It depends on how well cared for it was.

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
I've just emailed the Westerbeke distributor to see if he can recommend someone to do a formal evaluation. All signs are that little if any expense has been spared on the boat, so general indications are good. If anyone knows a good diesel person in eastern Connecticut, that would be a help.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I had a friend with a Nonsuch 36, and I sailed on it many times. I know the quality and value of these. I recon that if you really want a Nonsuch, and can afford to buy one and keep one, you might factor in the cost of a reliable engine, even if you put a new one in as part of the acquisition process. That might be the best option for your friend.

You're not going to find a perfect used boat, and there just aren't a lot of Nonsuch's out there.

What size is the one he's found, and how big is the engine?

Update: in addition, he might consider a rebuild of the engine and geat that's in there. Westerbeke themselves might do it, but would likely be prohibitively expensive. But there are others. Look into the availability of parts for both engine and gear. If you can cross the Westerbeke engine to it's base engine, i.e., Kubota or Mitsubishi, or whatever, you can save a fortune on parts, and probably even rebuilding.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
It's a 30 Ultra. I think the Westerbeke is rated at 30HP, so there should be plenty o' power. I told him that he should adjust his price downward a bit, given the engine hours, and mentally set aside fifteen bucks or so for a new mill at some point. Then he'd have a great boat and a brand new engine. His wife came into some money and is throwing it at him, so I myself don't see why he's hesitating! I guess it's mostly due to the horrible experience with diesels in his current, first boat.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
I did find a Brown's Boatyard in Guilford, which I think is not far from the boat. They claim to have a lot of experience with Westerbekes. If anyone knows these folks and can offer an opinion, that'd help, too.

John

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
I've not seen anything on which tranny it's got. I'll see if I can find out.

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
One of my friend's many fine qualities is thoroughness. He's got an engineer's mindset, if not the training, so if the engine is in decent shape, he will keep it that way.

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
Turns out the engine has 3200 hours, not 3800, so that's a bit of a help. The Westerbeke distributor, Hansen Marine, recommended Brewers boat yard or Connecticut Diesel for the eval.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I've just emailed the Westerbeke distributor to see if he can recommend someone to do a formal evaluation. All signs are that little if any expense has been spared on the boat, so general indications are good. If anyone knows a good diesel person in eastern Connecticut, that would be a help.
See contact information below and tell him I say hello. I’ve spoke with joe over the past 15+ years. Great guy, seems extremely knowledgeable and he is also a sailor.

Joe DeMers - owner
Sound Marine Diesel LLC

SoundMarineDiesel.com phone & fax (860) 666-2184

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
Thanks so much. I'll pass Joe's info along to my pal. I think he's chewing over his opening offer as we speak. He'll have a full survey and a separate engine eval done. Sound Marine Diesel looks like a great shop to have do the latter.
John