Westerbeke 10-2 won't start

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Mechanic did more testing today.

Compression in one cylinder - 15. In other - 400. Manual says around 430 is standard.

Cylinder with low/no compression may have valve problem, with some blow back through air vent - thinks valve being held open.

If weather holds, will find out tomorrow.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I had a valve spring break in a car once. That allows the valve to stay open.

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Checked that as best he could yesterday and doesn't think thats the problem.

Rained all day, so no progress until next week... Did find 2 leaks on boat though..
Will rebed one window w/795 sealant. Then look for what is leaking just forward of mast. May be antenna for radio(which does not appear to work).

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
if the valve spring is not broken then it may be a burnt valve or a leaking head gasket internally ...sounds like to me you may have to pull the head

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Things to check. buy a radator pressure tester and see if the engine cooling system will hold pressure. If so it is not the head gasket. If it leaks then you need to begin to pray now.
15 psi is something big remaining open so the only possabilities are:
Stuck valve (no broken spring), think freeing it up with impact modulation.
Broken spring, can be confirmed by inspection and are pretty easy to replace
Hole in piston, open the oil cap and see if there is a lot of blow by when cranking. You will know if it is busted as lots of air will be going in and out of the oil cap.
cracked head or blown head gasket, see pressure tester advice.
Wiped cam, easy to check as one (or more) valves will not operate over the same stroke length as the others.
it can't really be the piston rings as even without any rings the piston will develop 50-75psi assuming normal cranking speeds.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Very often, people forget to set the valve gap (folks get used to the hydraulic lifters in their cars not needing maintenance) and over the years normal valve train wear can cause the valves to not seat.. sometimes you get lucky and the valve will wear itself back in after being corrected.... and sometimes the seats get burned and need to be reground. Often this will really wear the cam because the lifter never unloads and oil can't get in between lifter and cam very well..

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Air in the fuel lines. My old boat had a westerbeke and was very sensitive to air and would
Make
It necessary to bleed the entire lines from injectors back.

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Low compression was a real faux pas on my part...!
Here's what I think probably happened - Had changed oil, spilled a little. Used paper towel to wipe spill. Ran it some afterwards to be able to check oil level.
Next time out on boat, ran for about 5 min prior to depart dock. Motor quit. Mechanic took it apart & found part of paper towel in head not allowing valve to close.
ASSUME I left paper towel at spill & it was sucked into engine. Air intake has no filter or screen to keep from happening. Totally stupid mistake on my part. W-10-2 is self priming.

Oct 22, 2006
O DAY 27 LE philadelphia pa
Thanks soooo much for sharing your problem. I have a oday 27le with the same engine. So far after three years no problems.