Westerbeke 10-2 won't start

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Make that Westerbeke 10-2 - can't find a way to change Subject...

72* yesterday. Plans to spend afternoon on boat. Started motor when I arrived. Did a walk around to check standing rigging and prepare lines to leave dock. Took about 5 minutes, then
Motor quits.
Attempt to restart. Motor spins fine (2 new batteries on Nov 1). Won't fire/start.
Check water separating filter - no trash/water. Check tank - plenty fuel.
Checked on engine filters. Both look good, but replaced one anyway when I found it harder to blow through than I thought it should.
Attempted several restarts after filter inspection(s).
Just won't start...
Motor is on '87 O'Day 272 that I've owned 4 yrs.
Any suggestions of DIY before I contact a diesel mechanic?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
turn on the fuel valve on your tank also you may need to rebleed your fuel lines

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
What I love about diesels: barring catestrophic failure, if it's not running it's because it's not getting fuel. Crack an injector and crank it a bit: any fuel? No? tighten it back up and go to the next bleed point "upstream". Any fuel? if yes, problem is between their and the injectors, otherwise continue...
But first of course check if the fuel shutoff is open! ;) Good one, woodster. One other thing: if it has a detached (electric) lift pump, check that.

druid

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Am using external fuel tank(gave up on cleaning internal tank), so know I have fuel and that tank is clean. Vent cap on tank loosened. Also replaced all fuel lines. Fuel pump is running when key is on. Fuel shutoff valve is open. All filters checked and appear clear. W10-2 is self priming, so fuel delivery should not be a problem. Have not cracked injectors or checked return line to be 100% sure fuel is being delivered.

Diesels are supposed to be so simple. Why am I continually having problems with it?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Well, you need to crack the injector nuts..if you keep getting air, your new external tank setup is suscepible of sucking air.. The injectors could be faulty but not all at once. The air filter(s) could be plugged. But it should try and run..what's the configuration for fuel shutoff ? Electric? Visually inspect? Fuel shutoff solenoid ok? Or cable releases manual fuel shutoff ok..Diesels need clean/pure diesel fuel through the injectors with the correct spray pattern at correct pressures. They also need a lot of combustion air (throught the air filters). Above that, good compression needed. We could go alot farther , but you did have it running.....somewhere, you have a basic problem. Run each trapline to the end........

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Fuel line has manual shut off. Engine has T handle to pull to stop motor. Checked 'throw' of engine cut off and it works fine - does not bind/hit anything during operation. Engine has no 'air filter', just an air inlet with tube to crankcase.
Pulled fuel return hose today, and with key on (pump on), was pumping at rate of 5 gph. Checked oil pressure switch, and wire to switch measured same as wire to ground with key on.
Will fill tank tomorrow to insure pick-up not sucking air. Also crack injectors to insure fuel is reaching cylinders.
Thanks to all for your help.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
do you have glow plugs if so make sure they are working i worked on a westy gen set one time and the glow plugs were bad and it wouldn't start till i replaced them

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Yes, have glow plugs. Would not explain shutdown after 5 min. If engine cold, won't turn over if glow plug button not depressed (from prev experience).
How do I ck them? Voltmeter with someone holding in button? What voltage should I expect?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
if they are good you should be able to take ohms meter and prob one lead to block or head and other to connection and get a reading .....if bad you will have an open circuit if they are bad take one to Napa and have them match it up not much cost there they may have order them in from some where but the price is right and well worth the wait westerbeke is just to damn high.........make sure you dont activate the power when on ohms ...if checking the circuit set your meter to dcv to see if you are getting power to them

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I didn't mention glow plugs cuz it was running...turn batt charger off and lets batts stabilize. Turn on glow plugs and note amperage draw and voltage sag if you have the meters. If change noted, they probably work..

Mar 10, 2008
Hunter 27_1984 gibraltar MI
Check the filter on the bottom of the lift pump. I have the same engine in my boat and that filter clogged and stopped the engine. I also latter had the lift pump fail and replaced it with a Mr. Gasket diesel pump from Auto Zone and now carry a spare, Both new and spare under $120.00.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
ok so i had ka lunk rebuilt. and i have been sitting here with hard ti start for 3 yrs... yesterday, after 7 days of trying to start and no joy, we repaired the KILL SWITCH and its lil lever from hell, and we retuned the injector pump.
now i has a turnkey boat, just like production ones only mine is prettier.
ok now i start a war... lol...
but with your issues i bet a plugged nickel that it is the kill switch.
happy day, amigo.. may your westerfreke work well

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Checked glow plugs today. Both had 10.5v with button pushed. Kill switch (T handle in cockpit) moves, does not bind and appears to move through full range. Have not checked what cable is attached to - that may not be moving...

But engine ran for approx 5 min, then shut down without any change to throttle/kill switch (I was on bow of boat and it just quit). May be time to call in a real mechanic...

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
air. check all yes ALL fittings and hoses and filters and copper tubings and lift pump and lever end of kill system.
then sacrifice something to gods of westerfreke and sea..a screwdriver will work, mebbe vice grips....

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Removed fuel line from tank (it was hard to get off) so don't think it's a problem. Removed return line (tight too), and ran pump. Pumping at 5 gph. No bubbles... Took off lift pump filter & on-engine filter. Retightened both. With pump working as it is, doubt any extra air leaks. Stumped... Sacrifice may be the answer!

Thanks All!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
So I dont see where you checked the kill lever action at the injector pump. From your description, it is mechanical. On mine, the cable works a mechanical lever which pushes a plunger rod that goes inside and shuts off fuel. It is spring loaded to come back out when the kill cable is not pulled. Theres a little more to it but that's the basics. Have someone operate the kill handle while you observe whats happening at the other end. Maybe its not returning or cable is mis adjusted. Did you use thread sealer on any threaded fittings? Overtighten any any hose clamps? Wrap all fuel low pressure fittings with rescue tape (very tightwrap) andsee if it runs. Unless the injector pump is petering out, you're going to find the solution is pretty basic. What does it sound like when it quits? Does it sputter or just instantly die?

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
No, Mark, have not checked the actual kill lever. Thought about that last night. Have checked cable and it moves the kill T handle. Also saw something last night about a fuel circuit breaker that may be tripped. Checked all hose connections (lift pump pumping 5 gph, so don't think fuel delivery is a problem).

When engine quit, did not sputter. Just did a 'normal' kill of the engine.

Thanks for all suggestions.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
if it comes into your brain in darkness, it is boat saying fix it... best wishes and may it be your issue, as it was part of mine.
mine never sputters--that is the cat when hypothermic--the engine dies or runs. not sputter. may vary song, but i never had sputter sounds from my diesel.
song changing then stop is air.
not starting or cutting out when running can be air or kill lever issues, especially if was running when died

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When my Perkins 4107 died in a similar fashion it was the fuel pick up line that had an intermittent clog. My pickup line is metal and the plug would rise up the line, clog shutting off the fuel, then slip a little and let fuel flow. Took 48 hours several beers an 3 guys scratching our heads. We finally blew the lines out and out came "the thing". Quickly killed it and disposed of the body. Since then all is well. As was said, and you probably know, if you can turn the engine over then the issue with diesels is fuel or air. If she starts to runaway, then you have too much fuel - most likely a oil leaking into the cylinder and the engine is going to destroy it self unless you get it stopped - Stop air from reaching the cylinders.
Let us know what you find.

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Not a problem with kill lever.

Mechanic cracked injectors and fuel came out, so fuel is getting to injectors. Thinks lift pump or injector pump not pumping sufficient amt of fuel, even though return sends 5 gph back to tank.

Or compresion may not be what it should be... Mechanic there only about 20 min - will meet him again Thur afternoon.