West Marine VHF Radio Not Receiving

May 27, 2014
Hunter 28 High Cliff State Park, WI
I was sailing today and I couldn't receive any transmissions on my brand new West Marine VHF580 radio. I could yesterday just fine. There's a flashing status symbol that looks like a tie-fighter with three lines under it (maybe a GPS error I'm guessing, although it's not hooked up to any GPS unit and isn't required to be). It also says "Input Position" and it takes me to a coordinate input page. I did an MMSI test call to the Coast Guard test number - maybe it won't let me transmit until I enter some coordinates first? Any ideas?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Put an 18-inch piece of wire, coat hanger, or welding rod in the center of the antenna connector. If you can now receive, the issue is the antenna or coax. Otherwise, it sounds like warranty.

Ken

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Agree with Ken. The 580 requires GPS for it to transmit your position, once it knows where it is of course. However, the receive function should work regardless of GPS status. So you hear nothing on the weather channels? Also check your squelch to make sure it is not completely closed. If it is, then only the closest/strongest signals will be heard. If you turn your squelch all the way clockwise, the squelch will be open and you will hear static. If the squelch is all the way anti-clockwise you will hear nothing.

Check those settings. And also check to see if there is a factory reset just in case.