West Marine anchor by Manson?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I didn't want to hijack the other anchor thread so....

Looks like WM has contracted with Manson to make branded anchor. Design looks decidedly new-gen.

Prices look very decent. Any experiences? They say "Our new West Marine Scoop Anchors were designed for us by Manson. Tested in New Zealand, they outperformed the Delta Anchor in setting and in overall holding power. Results are similar to the Rocna and Manson scoop anchors."

In general when WM has used this model before (Henri Lloyd/Musto for outerwear, Uniden/SM for radios, etc) the results are very good.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Interesting. Good plan too, as the stuff WM was selling (delta) was generally less than optimal. Interesting looking design too.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I've been thinking about this option for the past year.... be interested to hear experiences form others think also. Comparison chart in WM store shows very good holding power to weight ration.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
You can see the family resemblance to the Manson Boss. :D

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It baffles me why anybody would accept those "comparison" tests done under ideal conditions. If you think about it, when an anchor is really doing it's job under extreme conditions, it's unlikely that the water would be clear enough to get those great underwater movies of the 'favored' anchor holding in a nice sandy, mud, whatever bottom, while another didn't do as well. And of course the anchor is always directly to windward of the roller as in the tests, with no veering or sailing on the anchor, as could be the case in extreme conditions. Those spreaders nearly in the water at anchor, times.
I especially liked the one where a tractor was pulling an anchor UP the beach from the water. I guess that's why I sleep so well in Great Harbour on Jost. That hump in the anchorage means the water gets shallower were I to drag anchor, thereby facilitating resetting my anchor, while my boat stays in deep water the whole time.
And then there's those times when one can't use the scope one would like to use. I swear my Rocna would hold at 2:1 scope, though we have had no need to try it, yet. 3:1 is pretty much our standard in crowded anchorages and so far (60+ knots), knock on wood, no problems. In a perfect world our chain doesn't do much for us in the chain locker, so putting as much out as we can is our standard, when possible.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
In a perfect world our chain doesn't do much for us in the chain locker, so putting as much out as we can is our standard, when possible.
Capta--evidently, others agree w/you!

“I have no doubt that by far the most numerous cases of parting of chain or cable (rode), or breaking the anchor, are caused by a sudden jerk; but a long scope will, in great measure, render such a jerk harmless, as it is only to be dreaded when riding short. Any man in charge of a ship at anchor with the necessary quantity of chain cable on board, and space astern, to allow him to make use of it, but who neglects to do so, must be considered to be the author of his own misfortune, whether it amounts to the loss of his anchor, or the loss of his ship. No excuse can be offered for such neglect, which must originate either in indolence, or in a mistaken notion of the necessity.”

J.M. Murphy, 1849 (the originator of Murphy’s Law?).

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Well, old Murph didn't have much to work with in the anchor department:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Well, I suppose the game then, as now, was to get the best and most out of one's equipment as possible. However, I somehow doubt that a first rate "ship of the line" would be riding on that one!!:yikes: [Or even an "ordinary" Clipper ship."]

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Wow, thanks for that quote. Hadn't seen it before.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
It baffles me why anybody would accept those "comparison" tests done under ideal conditions.
Because such tests, along with anecdotal testimony by often-biased owners, are all we have to go on. Hard to do side by side comparisons in 50 knot conditions.