West Coast Florida

Apr 6, 2016
Catalina 30 Gulfport
Hey guys ..We are heading out on our maiden voyage after almost 3 years of being enslaved to our Catalina 30. We are proud owners of a redone and we love here. Heading out of Gulfport down the West Coast of Florida towards Englewood and back. We are leaving this Saturday and will be gone for 4-5 days over Christmas...any suggestions for anchorage ..food..etc would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Three anchorages and a marina
Ingram Bayou @ 30.319876, -87.557570 Anchor around the corner to reduce boat wakes.
Roberts Bayou @ 30.323897, -87.534156 Plenty of swing room. Stay close to the Bar/Restaurant as the east side is SHALLOW. You may be able to get a slip behind the restaurant.
Fort McRee @ 30.327400, -87.322409 Protected on three sides from waves.
Pensacola Beach Marina @ 30.336586, -87.145803 Walking distance to several restaurants. Call ahead for a slip (side tie). Or anchor out farther in at the corner.

Stay OUT of the blond water. I don't know much beyond this point as I can't get under the 50' bridge at Navarre with my boat.

Apr 6, 2016
Catalina 30 Gulfport
OOPS ..Maybe I should have clarified ..Gulfport Florida ..but if I ever get up that way ..

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It's kind of a long trip to go as far as Englewood and return in 4 or 5 days if you wish to spend much time at anchor. But in any event, a favorite of mine is the anchorage at Pt. DeSoto on the SW side of the Manatee River. You could easily hit that the first night if coming out the Maximo Channel paralleling the approach to the Skyway Bridge. The next day go down the ICW to a little spot off Big Sarasota Pass (inside and to the north) called Otter Key. Next day go out Big Pass, then in at Venice and stay a night at Higel Park; dinner at Crows Nest. Next day to Englewood via the ICW. But, that's 4 of your 5 days. Spend one night and head back?

Alternatively, you could make Otter Key the first day pushing a little harder down the ICW. I've made that trip from St. Petersburg many times in a single day (i.e., daylight) even b/f the Ringling Causeway Bridge was converted to a spanning bridge. The biggest push would be to swing out into the Gulf from lower Tampa Bay and go in at Venice for the first night. Then on to Englewood the second night, etc.; then return.

Weather will of course dominate the decision making. You'll make the best time outside on a strong NE wind following a cold front (i.e., day after). Same-day cold front but after the rain has passed, run inside on the strong & gusty NW wind. Makes a for a good ride down Sarasota Bay!! Outbound, SE winds are basically on the nose, so it's best to motor the ICW to make time. It's hard to go back against either the NE or NW, but the NE is preferable. Not as cold.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That sounds like a great sail. I use to live down in that area many years ago. I wish I could help, but things have changed so much, and I can't remember most of the places I use to go. The beaches are fantastic. Egmont Key State park is a nice stop over if you like history. The beaches often have/had a lot of sand dollars. Don't know it they charge to dock now. There were a couple of dockside restaurants on the ICW, but I wasn't much into the foody scene back then. I just liked the dockside dining. If you have kids, sifting through the sands at Coquina Beach for coquinas and Casperson Beach for shark's teeth is fun. We usually had the most fun just poking around. Venice has nice shops, but a little high end for me. If you can sail the extra miles, the Myakka River delta area is beautiful. I never anchored or stayed at a marina anywhere along there. I sailed a hobie 18 out of Bradenton, so not a lot of time in the ICW. Outside sailing is awesome. The wind is on the beam most of the time, when sailing North or South.

Have a great trip and don't forget, take lots of photos and post them here.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 6, 2016
Catalina 30 Gulfport
Thanks for the info ..we have 10 days to play but dogs to get home to ..we could be out longer than 4-5 so no worries ..gonna play it by ear.

It's kind of a long trip to go as far as Englewood and return in 4 or 5 days if you wish to spend much time at anchor. But in any event, a favorite of mine is the anchorage at Pt. DeSoto on the SW side of the Manatee River. You could easily hit that the first night if coming out the Maximo Channel paralleling the approach to the Skyway Bridge. The next day go down the ICW to a little spot off Big Sarasota Pass (inside and to the north) called Otter Key. Next day go out Big Sarasota Pass, then in at Venice and stay a night at Higel Park; dinner at Crows Nest. Next day to Englewood via the ICW. But, that's 4 of your 5 days. Spend one night and head back?

Alternatively, you could make Otter Key the first day pushing a little harder down the ICW. I've made that trip from St. Petersburg many times in a single day (i.e., daylight) even b/f the Ringling Causeway Bridge was converted to a spanning bridge. The biggest push would be to swing out into the Gulf from lower Tampa Bay and go in at Venice for the first night. Then on to Englewood the second night, etc.; then return.

Weather will of course dominate the decision making. You'll make the best time outside on a strong NE wind following a cold front (i.e., day after). Same-day cold front but after the rain has passed, run inside on the strong & gusty NW wind. Makes a for a good ride down Sarasota Bay!! Outbound, SE winds are basically on the nose, so it's best to motor the ICW to make time. It's hard to go back against either the NE or NW, but the NE is preferable. Not as cold.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Make a stop at Venice and have a meal at the Crow's Nest. It is just to your starboard side as you enter the Pass. Check with the Marina Master for dockage.

Apr 6, 2016
Catalina 30 Gulfport
Thanks for all the info ..we ended up in Longboat key the first night and after bumping sand a few times headed to Sarasota which we found out to be impossible to get in with a sailboat...you have to go in at Longboat Key or Venice so we ditched that idea and stayed outside off of Siesta Key ..great trip with lots of bumping ..

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It’s not impossible, but if you had followed, or nearly so, the cruise plan outlined in Post #5, you would have had a fuller trip. Typical; ask advice but ignore much of it, then make many of the same mistakes others have made and figured ways around. But, it’s good you had a fun trip half way to your destination of Englewood and back.

Did anybody say try to come IN Big Pass at Sarasota? Notoriously difficult to enter from sea Big Pass or New Pass b/c shoaling “moves” the channel so it does not lie right between all, or any, of the markers. Usually check w/ local folks to get the status before trying to enter from sea. You’d likely be discouraged. It’s easier to pick your way out than in.

By the way, folks have lost their boats doing what you were evidently attempting to do.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2016
Catalina 30 Gulfport
You are correct ..after reading again ..from now on I will not only ask advise but also heed it ..Thanks for the info again. Gonna try your trip an a month or so ..will let you know how it goes.
G

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
It’s not impossible, but if you had followed, or nearly so, the cruise plan outlined in Post #5, you would have had a fuller trip. Typical; ask advice but ignore much of it, then make many of the same mistakes others have made and figured ways around. But, it’s good you had a fun trip half way to your destination of Englewood and back.

Did anybody say try to come IN Big Pass at Sarasota? Notoriously difficult to enter from sea Big Pass or New Pass b/c shoaling “moves” the channel so it does not lie right between all, or any, of the markers. Usually check w/ local folks to get the status before trying to enter from sea. You’d likely be discouraged. It’s easier to pick your way out than in.

By the way, folks have lost their boats doing what you were evidently attempting to do.
The same issues apply to Stump Pass at Englewood. The channel keeps moving, and sometimes lies outside the channel markers! It is dredged from time to time, but it doesn't take long to fill in again. I don't know it's current status, so definitely check with locals. It is fun to enter the Stump Pass channel from the ICW and anchor behind Thompson Key. Take the dinghy to the pass and down Ski Alley. Enjoy the beaches along the inside, or the ocean beach at Stump Pass State Park. Lots of dolphins in the area. Head a little south on the ICW, and anchor off Don Pedro State Park; another great ocean beach.
So, it is best to approach Englewood by way of the ICW, either through the Venice Inlet to the north, or Boca Grande Pass to the south. Don't try the Little Pass at Gasparilla Island either!
Do you know where you will be berthing your boat?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I’ve gone past Stump a few times on the ICW side, investigated it once aboard me Pearson 30 (5 ft draft), but never attempted to pass through to the Gulf. Very pretty around there. Large stands of Australian pines that make soothing sounds swaying on the wind. Admiral & I anchored for lunch on one trip at Cape Haze a few n.mi. (3 to 4) further south. Easy turn out from the ICW. Developed area, but scenic if you like looking at waterfront homes from the water side.

Attachments

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Perhaps try some weekenders first. As I mentioned, DeSoto Pt is only a few (maybe 10) n.mi. from Gulfport. It’s a nice anchorage where you can go ashore, walk the beach of the Manatee River plus visit the DeSoto museum & see a film (at least you once could).

Also, you can anchor on the east (or west) side of Egmont Key. In winter boaters safely pick the east side when there is wind (or weather) from the west. Normally, you would not wish to be there in easterly wind of more a few knots, perhaps up to 8 or 10. Go ashore Egmont Key and walk the nice beach; also visit the “ruins.”

If you wish real seclusion and perhaps more adventure, there’s the anchorage at Terra Ceia, which is also an aquatic preserve. It’s “fun” getting in and out of there, however.

Another fun weekender from your location would be to anchor at Moore’s off the ICW, which is near Longboat Pass. Depending on weather, come down the outside and enter the ICW via Longboat Pass. Moore’s is south one or two n.mi. Go home up the ICW and exit the ICW at “The Bulkhead.” From there you choose your route home depending on your conditions, etc. NW across the Egmont Channel (must watch depth closely crossing the north side-check for updates), or NE to the south extension of the Maximo Channel, AKA the Sunshine Skyway Channel more properly, that runs along the approach to skyway bridge on its north side.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
There are a lot of good suggestions here.
I have looked for a good cruising guide to SW (or even just the west coast of FL.
Apparently the only one I could find is out of print...still available used for varying $$$

So I like the suggestions listed above.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
The wind is on the beam most of the time, when sailing North or South.
That's a cool little chart - where'd you get it? This would be a great thing for planning where to live in my retirement.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I googled the chart. I typed in "prevailing winds Saint Petersburg Fl for December" then browsed through the images tab.

-Will (Dragonfly)