Well. How bad can it be??

Jul 22, 2015
Catalina 27 MO
62467F04-AD28-4465-B2E3-AB31F7FB6865.jpeg
got the dreaded call from the marina yesterday after a storm went through. Our dock broke loose and now our boat is the “bumper” between two docks.
Three hull penetrating gashes down the starboard side.
Insurance report filed but what to expect?
Just not sure what’s next.
57163945-EAB3-41CF-8E59-C0EDDB47BF94.jpeg
786EBAE1-DB09-48E2-B05D-AB86B1829271.jpeg
57163945-EAB3-41CF-8E59-C0EDDB47BF94.jpeg
7ED1ED16-DED6-42C6-B0A4-EFC1CCFEB9A2.jpeg
6D4673DE-82BF-44CF-9118-0674B49BA42B.jpeg

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Ouch! Sorry for the pain and anguish.:(

At least it is above the Water line.

After getting out of the "Vice" or Vise , you should temporarily prevent water entry.
Jim...

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Three hull penetrating gashes down the starboard side.
Insurance report filed but what to expect?
Just not sure what’s next.
Never good to get that kind of message from your marina.

What happens next is a little dependent on your insurance company. They should send a surveyor or adjuster to see the damage, they may or you may arrange for a haul out and a trip to the repair shop. If the estimate for the repair is less than the boat's value you'll should get a check from the insurance company. Then you get it repaired.

How smoothly the process goes, depends a lot on your insurance company. A good one will have things under way quickly and easily.

The damage looks to be repairable. One issue may be the gelcoat. The repair will require new gelcoat or paint on the repaired side and the insurance company should pay for it. But they won't pay for gel coating the good side. You'll end up with a two tone boat or you will pay to have the other side gel coated or painted. When my boat fell off the jack stands, I ended up paying to gel coat the undamaged side so the boat "looked right."

Good luck, I hope things work out well for you.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Ouch, very unfortunate. That must have been the same storm that sunk the DUKW near Branson...yes?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@scottmellloyditude man. One of those dreaded calls. I shudder when the marina sends out warnings. Best of luck. Now you get to try out some of Robert Redford’s repair ideas from “All is Lost”.
Fortunately your in the marina and not in the South Pacific. Hoping for you tha the Marina lifts are not damaged from the storm.
Stay positive.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
In the hands of a skilled repair person, the structural repair and finish gel coat will be indistinguishable from the rest of the side of the boat. Note that the grinding back to get to a proper slope (to lay in new cloth) will enlarge the area to an alarming extent, for a little while. :)
I have seen worse damage invisibly repaired on a Catalina. Problem, oddly enough, will not be the exact gel coat color match from the builder, but rather matching the new final surface to the "aged" color of the existing surface. OTOH, it can be done.
So, as advised by Dave, get your insurer involved and find a surveyor and repair person. Only ameliorating factor is that you have none of the usual guilt that we all (often) have for causing it by running into something!
:)
Best of luck to you.

Aside: if you do not presently have an "agreed value" policy, be sure to get one before anything like this ever happens again. :(

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The gashes are deep but look small enough to be repairable. Get an independent opinion from your Insurance Company adjuster.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
OK, color me stupid. How come YOUR insurance has to fix it? Why does the marina (whose equipment failed) get away with not fixing your boat? I mean, Heck, your boat is still tied to the dock correctly. Somebody splains it to me.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
prolly cause every marina in the world has you sign a contract that says that they, the marina, will never cover such events. gotta read the fine print.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Same thing I was thinking, does not the marina have liability here?

May 25, 2012
a marina will never have a ins policy to cover every boat at every dock. they could never afford such.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
OK, color me stupid. How come YOUR insurance has to fix it? Why does the marina (whose equipment failed) get away with not fixing your boat? I mean, Heck, your boat is still tied to the dock correctly. Somebody splains it to me.
My wife is an insurance agent. She told me that claims always go to your own insurance company, who will then go after the marina's company for compensation. This is actually better than you having to pursue the marina's company, your company is like your agent to handle this.

May 25, 2012
the OP lives in mo. where the duck boat sank. look at the sky in his photos. mother nature caused this. she offers no insurance either :)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There are several reasons already mentioned. Best to let your own insurance company deal with it and if they feel it is the marina's fault, the insurance companies high priced attorneys will talk to the marina's insurance company. They do this stuff all the time.

Second, there may be no negligence by the marina. If the docks were installed as designed and maintained as prescribed by the manufacturer, then the marina has not be negligent.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Check your standing rigging since it looks in line with the marina roof. You did good with the sails and bimini.

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
Marina doesn't need to be found negligent in order to be liable... But as others have said you deal with your insurance and they go after whoever is responsible