1. Welcome to the new Cruising Sailors Forum, for experienced sailors and cruisers. 2009-2016 forum archive is now online.

Welcome to the new Cruising Sailors forum... and tips on logging in

Discussion in 'Cruising Sailors' started by Phil Herring, Feb 11, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Phil Herring

Phil Herring Dethroned Admin

Joined Mar 25, 1997
    4,406 posts, 340 likes
    Hunter 450
    US Bainbridge Island
    Thanks for making the trip! Some tips on use:

- The old forum is now a read-only archive. Search should work, links, images, should all function just as before but please let me know if anything is broken.

- I converted data from 2/1 - 2/11 from the old forum to this forum. While the converted data tests okay, it may be funky is some ways (like post counts and secondary level data).

- About half of you had existing logins on SBO. In those cases we attributed converted posts to your existing login.

- If your email address was not in the SBO system we created a new bare-bones registration for you. We couldn't bring your old password here because we can't read it in the old system. So, you'll need to go through the password reset process to create a password. Just click the "forgot password" link at login.

- If your username was already in use we had to make a minor change to it.

- If you have any questions or problems logging in please contact us through customer service: http://shop.sailboatowners.com/customerservice We'll get you set up and back online quickly.

Let me know if there's anything we can do!

Mary Lou, Camchain and TomY like this.
  2. gettinthere

gettinthere

Joined Nov 26, 2008
    1,865 posts, 161 likes
    Endeavour 42
    US Cruisin
    Arrrgh mate, good onya.
    Do semi-experienced coastal cruisers count? I only have 5 years cruising full time so I don't know much.

sailfast1 likes this.
  3. TomY

TomY Alden Forum Moderator

Joined Jun 22, 2004
    1,741 posts, 1,715 likes
    Alden 38' Challenger yawl
    US Rockport Harbor
    5 years coastal, you're over qualified! Seriously, my interest in the CSBB has always been sailing, wherever it's done.
    Sailing  (1 of 1).jpg

4. Mary Lou

Mary Lou

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    15 posts, 8 likes
    Rosborough 246
    US Upper Chesapeake
    2016-07-17 At the Dock Swan Creek 2.jpg Coastal cruisers are more than welcome. While there are some world cruisers on this list (and I sure hope they'll follow us from the old CSBB) most of us are/were coastal cruisers. My current boat isn't a sailboat but I've been hanging out at the CSBB and its predecesor the CWBB since somewhere around 1998.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    centerline, TomY and Paul D13 like this.
  5. Todd D

Todd D

Joined Jul 4, 2012
    26 posts, 18 likes
    Allied Princess
    US Southwest Harbor
    Thank you for the new platform. Hopefully there will be more traffic here.

6. Paul D13

Paul D13

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    9 posts, 9 likes
    Pearson Alberg 35
    US Freeport, Maine
    Thanks for keeping this forum going, Phil! I really like the higher resolution photos.

Cruise 07 193.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    TomY likes this.
  7. Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Joined Mar 1, 2012
    1,739 posts, 684 likes
    1961 Rhodes Meridian 25
    us Texas coast
    wow- that was quick. Third iteration of the forum for me. CWBB, CSBB,, and this one. Oh, and TSBB 2 is Charlie Jones, of S/V Tehani

8. Camchain

Camchain

Joined Apr 17, 2013
    11 posts, 34 likes
    Hinckley B-40
    US Annapolis
    cbmm reduced.jpg Thanks for all the work you have done to keep this group alive. I learned more about keeping our old boat going from the CSBB than any other other place. I hope everyone makes the trip over. I was Ron on the old board (from Colorado).

Mary Lou likes this.
  9. Phil Herring

Joined Mar 25, 1997
    4,406 posts, 340 likes
    Hunter 450
    US Bainbridge Island
    Yeah, sorry, it all went much quicker than I expected. Once started, I had to finish because we'd be losing newer posts. I really thought there would be alot more lead time..

And Charlie, we need to change your username! ;) PM me.

10. Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Joined Mar 1, 2012
    1,739 posts, 684 likes
    1961 Rhodes Meridian 25
    us Texas coast
  11. Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Joined Mar 1, 2012
    1,739 posts, 684 likes
    1961 Rhodes Meridian 25
    us Texas coast
    That looks like Drum Point Light, in Solomons Island. I have a great story about that from when I was anchored off in 1982

12. Kevin K. McTeague

Kevin K. McTeague

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    3 posts, 1 likes
    Ericson Independence 31 Cutter
    70 SecondStar US -Neverland
    WoW! Nice job and THANK YOU.
    Kevin

13. Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Joined Mar 1, 2012
    1,739 posts, 684 likes
    1961 Rhodes Meridian 25
    us Texas coast
    WOW quick!! thanks

14. Liz

Liz

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    10 posts, 5 likes
    At last! I'm not active poster, but I've been an active lurker since the beginning, and visit nearly every day. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority, but I had no love for the old format, which was feeling increasingly archaic. This is so much better -- easier to navigate, easier to track a whole thread, easier to scan quickly. Old posts will be easier to peruse. The photo format is great. And being able to hover your cursor over a post to get a quick read of the text before clicking is terrific. I suspect we'll have lots of new members as a result.

Thank you, Phil! It's terrific!

Camchain likes this.
  15. Phil Herring

Joined Mar 25, 1997
    4,406 posts, 340 likes
    Hunter 450
    US Bainbridge Island
    Thanks Liz! One tip for those missing the context of the old board... when you reply, click the Reply w/Quote link, then shorten the quote to the relevant point. It provides context for your reply.

16. Al Schober

Al Schober

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    76 posts, 57 likes
    former Tartan 30
    41971 US now in Rockland, ME
    Thanks Phil,
    Changeover was quick and easy - just had to reset my password.

17. Camchain

Camchain

Joined Apr 17, 2013
    11 posts, 34 likes
    Hinckley B-40
    US Annapolis
    Charlie, the light in post #8 above is the Hooper Straight Lighthouse which was moved to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, St Michaels, MD in 1966. The photo is from 2016.

18. Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Joined Mar 1, 2012
    1,739 posts, 684 likes
    1961 Rhodes Meridian 25
    us Texas coast
    That's the one I meant- thanks

When I was there, an elderly lady came up and informed the people at the museum that her father had once been the keeper,, and that she had grown up in the lighthouse. Told them she still had Christmas decorations from when she was a child, that had been used in the house, ,and asked if they'd like them. You can guess what the answer was !! :)

Camchain likes this.
  19. Tom J

Tom J

Joined Sep 30, 2008
    1,420 posts, 312 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Quincy, MA
    Thanks for your post, Phil. I'd enjoy being a part of this forum, if I may. I have cruised the East Coast from FL to MA by way of the ICW several times, and currently cruise New England waters in the summer. I have some blue water experience on a steel hulled workboat, mostly in Florida and Caribbean waters, extending to the Carolinas. I'd still like to make a trip to Cuba someday, and would like to hear from other cruisers about that.

20. Phil Herring

Joined Mar 25, 1997
    4,406 posts, 340 likes
    Hunter 450
    US Bainbridge Island
    Absolutely, no permission required. Happy to have you here!

Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.