Weight

Feb 11, 2017
Hunter 41 DS Riviere Sens
At the risk of being abused for not knowing this, does anyone have any idea how much my Hunter 2008 41 DS weighs? I know it's displacement, 8,000 kgs, I am aware it depends on how much is on the boat with fuel water, air conditioning, water-maker etc. but need to know it's dead weight. I'm seeking a lift for cleaning in my home port and the crane has an SWL of 12 tons. Now I don't think I'm more than this, but a pontoon neighbour, says his 42 foot Beneteau is nearly 20 tons!! I think he is not as correct as he likes to tell people :)

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Why don't you call Marlow-Hunter? They will have at least an idea of what it (theoretically) weighed when it left the factory, with the factory installed options. You could then guess at the weight of what has been added since (safety gear, clothing, additional electronics, books, charts, galley equipment, food, spare parts, tools, extra lines, davits, dinghy, etc.), and make a pretty accurate estimate for the weight of the fluids (water, liquor, beer, fuel, oil, engine coolant, holding tank contents, cooking fuel, cleaning products, solvents, etc.) on board. Total it up, add a safety margin, and see if it is under the lift's limit. If it's close, talk to the yard.

Feb 11, 2017
Yep, thought that would be best, just happened to be by my PC. Need to go somewhere else for a signal to phone. Oh well, could do with the exercise :)

Feb 1, 2010
Hunter 33.5 El Dorado Lake, Kansas
I want to SailboatData.com and the weights of those two boats are only a 1000lbs difference.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The Crane operator will tell you. Since his crane has to have certified Strain cells for weight, he can tell as he attempts the lift. Too much and he will stop before your boat leaves the water.

Jim...

Feb 11, 2017
The Crane operator will tell you. Since his crane has to have certified Strain cells for weight, he can tell as he attempts the lift. Too much and he will stop before your boat leaves the water.
Hmm, this is the Caribbean, I've seen the results of them trying to lift and.......

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Cruising World’s review in 2005 said 8,800 kg, or 19,360 lb. Displacement = weight. I doubt you have added 3,200 kg of weight, but the only way to know for sure is a load cell.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
As an example, I have a Catalina 30 with a stated displacement of 10,200 lbs. Actual dead weight on the crane 13,500 lbs.. Many confuse displacement with actual weight.

Feb 11, 2017
Many confuse displacement with actual weight.
As I know only too well, hence my original question. Been to Marlow-Hunter they can't help except with the displacement. oh well, if the truck with the crane on it falls over we'll know :) :)
Thanks for all your help

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sounds great. Maybe someday...
Right now watching rain and grandson.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our P42 checks in at 24,000 pounds according to the maker. Unsure whether that includes mast, sails, rigging, etc.
When she was fully loaded ready for extended cruising in 2011, the travel lift operator told me she displaced 35,000 pounds. Just say'n.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
As I know only too well, hence my original question. Been to Marlow-Hunter they can't help except with the displacement. oh well, if the truck with the crane on it falls over we'll know :) :)
Thanks for all your help
The displacement of a boat that is afloat equals the weight of the boat (for the quoted number from the factory, probably at the DWL - Design Water Line). An object that is floating displaces a certain amount of water. That water weighs a certain amount and thus is equal to the displacement. You need to know if the number given you is the light load displacement or the full load displacement. For my 1994 Hunter 40.5 this information is on the Builders Information Plate page of my owners manual. For instance it says the light load displacement is 8989kg (19,775 lbs) and the full load displacement is 10,896kg (23970). It further states that the "sink" is 2.67 in at full load. Note full load is 4,195 lbs above light load. For lifting the boat if you are worried about its weight, I'd empty the water tanks and leave it at that. It's doubtful you have a "fully loaded" boat so you could probably just use the displacement given by your manufacturer (I think you said 8000kg (17,637 lbs) and maybe 4000lbs for a very conservative load and you'd be at 21,637lbs as a maximum weight of your boat. With your water tanks empty and the beer out of the boat you are probably more like 20,000 lbs or less. I'm assuming the SWL is in "short tons" so the SWL would be 24,000 lbs.

By the way the displacement (as used in nautical terms) is the same as the weight. The volume of water displaced is different for fresh water than it is for salt water because fresh water is less dense than salt water and thus the boat rides lower in the water (for the same load) in fresh water than salt water. It still "displaces" the same weight of water. All bets are off for something that sinks - what it displaces is not equal to its weight. If it sinks you can be sure it weighs more than the equivalent amount of water it displaced, but it could be much more.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Terry, 11,000 pounds... I can see some of that but really... 1,000 pounds of adult beverages? How did you cruise in Canada?

Very Happily?

Feb 11, 2017
Look, beer and liquor, especially rum, is very important. 1,000 pounds sounds about right. :)
OK, checked with my "book of the boat" and also Hunter and the light load displacement is 8,800 kgs so adding a couple of thousand sees me in the right area so going with that. Let's hope the lorry crane has a weight meter.
Thank you all for your input.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
for the future, when you get weighed by the lift, you can mark the waterline. Do it each time you get weighed and you'll have a good idea of your weight at any given time just by looking at her trim in the water. it'll be like the displacement scales painted on the bows of freighters. You, of course, don't have to make the marks so obvious.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
My 2006 Hunter 41 AC weighs 24000 lbs with no water and minimum complement of stores but with full fuel tanks. It has been weighed on two different lifts. They have a gauge that tells them the weight of the vessel. That is exactly the 12ton capacity. I would tell you to make sure it's empty.

Feb 11, 2017
Thank you all. I thought it was going to be a short and simple thread. Ahh but that's boating for you.
Good night and fair winds
Richard