Weight

Nov 27, 2015
Sirius 21 Burlington
I'm looking for a Sirius 21 but worried about total trailer weight as my limit is 3500 for towing. Anyone has ever weighed their trailer with the Sirius 21 ?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The displacement of the Sirius 21 is given at 2000 lbs. which sounds about right for a ballasted vessel of that size. The weight of the keel is usually included in the displacement figures. A trailer for it should be in the 300 to 400 lbs. range. Add a 50 lbs. outboard motor, batteries, fuel and boat fixtures and supplies and your towing weight could be around 2,700 lbs. If your tow vehicle and the hitch assembly are rated for 3500 lbs. it seems you may be ok. It is always good to leave some towing capacity in reserve as an additional load is imposed when the pulling the boat out of the water up a ramp. If in doubt you can get your tow vehicle and boat and trailer weighed at a truck stop weigh station for a small fee.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
I have a 1984 Sirius 21 I bought in July. Completely refurbed and in excellent condition. Even interior cushions redone. 6hp tohatsu motor. I bought in Minnesota and currently live in Texas, but am willing to bring to Detroit. My trailer has rollers and a movable front bow support. The key to towing with a smaller vehicle is the tongue weight. With this trailer you can move boat forward and backward to adjust the tongue weight. This boat has never been kept in the water until I put it in a slip in August.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
I have a Sirius 22 and had it weighed with the trailer on a scale last year. With all the usual equipment on board minus motor, fuel, and battery, it came to 3400 lbs. (3200 + the 200 tongue weight) Another owner of a 21 on this forum came up with the same number for his boat when we were discussing this issue on an earlier thread.. We both feel that the Siruis 21/22 weighs closer to 2500-2600lbs. If you are just towing short distances a few times a year maybe you can get by with the 3500 lbs towing capacity. Regular and long distance I would want 5000lbs towing capacity. Our Toyota Rav4 V6 rated at 3500lbs has the power to tow it but the vehicle is too light and gets pushed around. The Honda Pilot rated at 5000 tows it with no trouble.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
Well thank you for your input guys, I'm gonna look at a Venture or Mac.
I think you will find the Sirius has a better build quality on the hull and deck. The deck is foam cored and stiff and the hull has a very solid layup. When you get to 2000 lbs or less in the 22 foot range some boats can get a bit flimsy
IMO.

Nov 30, 2015
Sirius 21 Conestoga Lake, Ontario
I tow mine with a 2013 Dodge Caravan, rated for max 3500 lbs. I find it very smooth on the road. No issues pulling off boat launches providing they are concrete. The key is having the weight evenly balanced/distributed. Don't tow with an outboard on the stern mount, for example. I'm definitely with Srust. The Sirius is a great quality little boat, very well designed. I was concerned too about towing before I bought two years ago. No regrets!

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
I tow mine with a 2013 Dodge Caravan, rated for max 3500 lbs. I find it very smooth on the road. No issues pulling off boat launches providing they are concrete. The key is having the weight evenly balanced/distributed. Don't tow with an outboard on the stern mount, for example. I'm definitely with Srust. The Sirius is a great quality little boat, very well designed. I was concerned too about towing before I bought two years ago. No regrets!
Hi Dana.
I think the specific vehicle may be important. Some rated for 3500 may be better than others. I have an old caravan (95) and have used it for a few short hauls and it was OK but not for a long haul. It was the small caravan and the bigger grand caravan may have been better. Have used a lot of different vehicles over the years but my favorite was my old 69 Econoline high top camper van.

Nov 27, 2015
Sirius 21 Burlington
In my case I have a Ford Escape AWD with 270 pound-feet of torque so there is no lack of power here. The car as a 3500 pounds towing capacity and a GCWR of 7626 pounds. My main concern is about the ''small'' weight of the car itself at about 3700 pounds and fear that the ratio trailer weight/car weight would be too high resulting in the trailer pushing strong against the car... I'm looking at 250-400 miles trips 5-6 times a year.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
In my case I have a Ford Escape AWD with 270 pound-feet of torque so there is no lack of power here. The car as a 3500 pounds towing capacity and a GCWR of 7626 pounds. My main concern is about the ''small'' weight of the car itself at about 3700 pounds and fear that the ratio trailer weight/car weight would be too high resulting in the trailer pushing strong against the car... I'm looking at 250-400 miles trips 5-6 times a year.
That was my experience with the Rav 4 which is similar in size to the Escape. The wheelbase probably has some effect too. The Pilot is just bigger all around and pulls just fine. Same size engine in the Rav 4 and Pilot.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
Damn I still have a crush on a Sirius21... I really want a Sirius...
Is your Ford the pre 2013 model? The older ones look a bit larger and more truck like than the newer ones. What are you plan? Short or long hauls...how frequent? Can you rent or borrow a larger vehicle? We have done this in the past using my dad's pick up, leaving our car with him for the two weeks.

Nov 27, 2015
Sirius 21 Burlington
No I have a 2013+... Anyway, the 2013+ has highest curbweight, wheelbase and torque then the pre 2013 (I have AWD). Longest hauls would be 250 miles mainly flat ground. I intend to have a trip 2 week-end per month. I think of replacing my escape but it drives me crazy... I just got an escape 8 month ago to tow my (new) boat but never thought 3500 pounds would not be sufficient for a 22 footer... :banghead: