Weight training on a sailboat

Jan 18, 2018
- - -
Hey everyone,

After a long time researching, I did not find any good information, so i'd like to know your opinion! I understand that this is not a typical question, but considering the fact that I live more than half the year on the boat, and currently looking to buy a bigger one, it is the good time for me to find an answer to that question. Any answer and would be appreciated, even if it probably gonna need some modifications to the boat.

I am trying to figure out a way to modify the boat to setup a pull up bar and some kind of rack squat. The goal is to create the structure in a way that will support some weight, while keeping the balance of the boat and not interfere with the navigation tools. Obviously, for the rack squat, the plates and the bar would have to be secure elsewhere on the boat. I imagine that for the rack squat, it may be more adequate on an aluminium/metal structure, but i'm pretty sure that a pull up bar could be setup adequatly on most boats.

Thanks in advance for the creativity thinking!

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Not being in shape myself (think slow, fat old fart) seems like you have all the tools on the boat without having to bring anything aboard.

Lifts - haul the anchor and chain from the bottom -
pull ups - rig up your bosuns chair and haul yourself up the mast. My guess is you will need to rig a block and tackle (think mainsheet setup) to do it the first few times.

Get creative with the tools you have on board.

good luck

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I can't think of a way to do this. Someone more creative may chime in. I remember when we jarheads used to deploy with the USS Midway. There was a fitness center in the bow. Even on a huge ship, you still had to deal with the pitching when you wanted to do any heavy lifting.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
A bit off topic but apropos. My running life started in 1975 building up to seven miles every other day (and I do mean every other day) in 1980. That has been my regimen ever since (well my body told me to reduce it to five two years ago), clocking in well over 40,000 running miles. It also includes leg lifts, pull ups and hand squeezers after I finish my run. Our local sailing venue offers many on shore running trails, roads, etc., except when you get further north into British Columbia.

Two years ago I took possession of a stepper; small, compact, easy to store and very effective. Now, whenever I'm on the boat, that is what I use as opposed to rowing ashore unable to find a place to run. No fun to run in place for an hour on the boat.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Stepp...rkout-Fitness-Air-Stair-Climber-/222430871449

https://www.target.com/p/comfort-hand-grips-c9-champion-174/-/A-14549587#lnk=sametab

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Pull up bar attaches to a halyard. A vee shaped bar ballances well. Lifting is a bit more difficult. Buckets of water it you increase the reps. For horizontal resistance, bucket suspended from the anchor roller. Get a D handle to tie on if you need one.

Ken

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Rather than weights.... use elastic bands.... there are many exercise programs that use them..

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Cool question! I think the elastic bands seem a perfect suggestion. Water jugs would work for weights too. Remember, you on the water, so swimming is an option.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Rowing is one of the best exercises, arm, leg, ab and back strength. Resistance bands was the first thing I thought of when I read your post.

As a kayak racer in high school, I made a forearm strengthener from a large dowel, a piece of line and a one gallon milk jug, hold your arms out at shoulder height and roll the line up on the dowel to lift the milk jug off the floor, do this three times and FEEL THE BURN:twisted:!
Remove your companionway ladder and do chin-ups on the open hatch edge.
I don't agree that weights have no place on a boat, but find a place to secure them near mid-ship as low as possible. Or, put them on a track and move them from side to side as a hiking aid.o_O
Anyway, there is a lot that can be done with just a simple set of dumbells and a bench.
Here is a video for innovative squats you can do.

How about a shoulder pad on the boom with a few plates hanging to the deck off the end, lift with your legs to raise the weights off the deck, lower back down. Keep your back arched and put a rubber mat under the weights to protect the deck.
-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Easy rowing machine: tie a line to a bucket, throw it overboard, and haul it back in. Repeat.

But for squats: elastic bands. Or cradle your anchor and do squats. You could also do isometrics. Just squat 1/2 way and hold it.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I've been a gym rat all my life. But as far as I'm concerned, sailing a small boat is plenty rigorous enough all by itself, as long as I take time out for stretching. The first day or two of a cruise whips my lilly-white arse every time.

If I wanted more ... I'd consider taking a long swim, haul the anchor up and re-set it a few times, row the dinghy, do some pushups w/ my feet elevated (or a hot girl sitting on your back), do some crunches, some lunges, lots of arm and shoulder exercises could be done using the anchor as a dumbbell (or kettle bell, if you're a millennial) ... heck a boat is a self-contained gym if you use your imagination.

Then write a book about how you did it, featuring pics of said hot girl. ;)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Then write a book about how you did it, featuring pics of said hot girl.
Then, very quickly, you'll be able to afford a larger boat with a full gym. :waycool:
And too wealthy to be associating with riff raff like us.

- Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Rowing is good exercise for the prevention of bingo arm(bingo wings). If you have an inflatable - you're in luck, rowing an inflatable any distance, is vigorous exercise.
Rowing.jpg

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
There are lots of books on the subject. This reminds me of a couple that used to feature in Latitudes and Attitudes on this very subject. They were all about that. Sadly, they were killed a few years ago. Anyone else remember this?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I was standing at the front desk of the Bitter End Yacht Club years ago arranging for a boat slip. A landlubber house guest arrived to ask where the Gym was located. "We don't have a gym sir, we have kayaks, windsurfers, sailboats, a swimming area, a snorkeling trail, and miles of hiking trails", said the desk clerk. Welcome to waterworld!

wilf

Jan 25, 2017
oday 25 oday 25 long beach
Ive been in the gym business most of my life and my wifes still a trainer and the best equipment we use on a boat are TRX straps, if your familiar with them?
( developed by a navy seal) all about bodyweight for resistance , a great workout they can attatch round the mast or boom and you can do lots of really hard upper body work and abbs workouts, not much for legs though other than high rep squats, single leg squats and lunges but a good sandbag works too for lunges and won't bust up the deck like a weight plate if dropped, make sure they are well attached though or you may end up doing water aerobics instead ..lol