Weep hole

Sep 3, 2012
Catalina 310 Marina del Rey, CA
I was advised to check weep holes in the mast tabernacle as a possible source of rain water leaking in to the bilge on my 2000 310. I didn't find any. If they are there where are they?

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
Had the same problems years ago. The masts do not appear to have an ‘inbuilt’ weep hole, relying on seepage from the mast base. However, the latter tends to clogg up with dirt and with heavy downpours the water inside the mast builds up to above the rim of the raised inlet for the wiring(see Paulj’s picture in previous post) to then run the into bilge below. The idea would be to drill a small hole just above the base plate for the mast (maybe Paulj remembers thickness – otherwise do it when raising mast next). Mine is about ¼ “.

Having dreadful weather at the moment and can unfortunately therefore not send a picture until late next week.

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
Attached is a picture of the weep hole I had cut into the mast base when the mast was lifted. It seems to sit on/next to the bottom plate shown in PaulJ’s picture:

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?attachments/5demast-jpg.127394/ .

Even a small hole drilled just a bit higher, whilst the mast is in situ, would probably make a difference already. I have had no water coming into the boat from the mast since – over 5 years ago.

Attachments

john2

Nov 26, 2022
Catalina 310 Leimuiden
Hello , here a new owner of a 2000- 310 . we have the boat since last spring. When we got the boat it was WET. doors not closing and some mold.... This hint for a weep hole in the mast. Thank you!!!