Wednesday Photo day again

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
Adding the sails to the above, on each mast from bottom to top: course, tops'l (sometimes divided into lower and upper), t'gallant sail (sometimes lower and upper), royal, skysail, moonraker. Rigged on booms outboard of these sails are corresponding studding- or stu'ns'ls. Headsails working forward from the foremast: fore staysail, inner jib, outer jib, flying jib, spindle jib, jib of jibs. Plus staysails between the masts, named for their stay. The fore-and-aft rigged sails set aft of the mizzen (or jigger mast of a 4-master) are the spanker and gaff sail or gaff tops'l.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Could she furl the square topsail, perhaps set a gaff foretopsail, and come up another point?
That depends entirely on her design and the amount of wind. In the photo, it looks like you could be very correct; those adjustments would allow her to gain more speed by sailing flatter, but why be fast when you're just there to look pretty? ;)

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
Don't know the name of the sail, but there is a line chaffing it.
Yes. I was going to say main topmast staysail but on closer inspection it doesn't seem to be set on a stay. The line is the lee fore topsail brace, I think.

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
That depends entirely on her design and the amount of wind. In the photo, it looks like you could be very correct; those adjustments would allow her to gain more speed by sailing flatter, but why be fast when you're just there to look pretty? ;)
I was thinking closer to the wind, not necessarily faster.