Wednesday means it is photo day!

Aug 3, 2005
Currently boatless - Eastern Seaboard
In case you've been wondering what I've been up to for this past few years... this. Five books written, four about Sasquatch.
BookCover.jpg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Looking for a downsizer? How about a J30?

I'm serious. A J30 is a good sailer and satisfies the desire for a daysailer. It's an enormous coastal cruiser in 30' with an 11' beam+. Good for a couple, two good berths in saloon (vee berth if you get randy,..and you're short), full galley, head, storage. They did all that (probably low headroom), without looking like an RV.
j-30_drawing.jpg

More of a racer than a cruiser, in it's day (70's-80's), most were purchased to race. That makes them well suited for coastal sailing, even by an older couple.

Sail handling is great! They won't sail circles around the older boats (despite claims), but they are a little faster; A J30 will get you to an anchorage 10 miles away, 5 minutes faster than say an older Pearson 30 or a Tartan 30.

Here's a 'mature' couple, presumably coastal cruising (boat and dinghy hale out of Mass.). They're doing what a J30 does well, sailing in, and under main alone.
J 30 Pulpit Harbor.jpg

When I see J30's cruising, they're under sail more often than typical similar sailboats. I think that is because they are easy to sail, especially in light winds.

Here's another older fellow, probably with grandchildren manning the headsail(it's time to convert this J30 relic, to the modern age with a furler). This may be a J35?
J35  (1 of 1).jpg

Here's why I think they are a good option for anyone. J30's are some of the newer 'Good Old Boats'. 550 or so were built and most of them are 40 years old! They are relics!

A quick check of Yachtworld shows, 3 are for sale and two of them will sell for 10K or under. These are the next wave of near free boats. And look what you get: A great daysailer that can take a couple or small family up and down the coast in pretty comfortable conditions.

I know the caveat: core rot can be anywhere, hull and deck. Old boats have problems, fix it-simple. Better still, find one that's already been fixed and or well cared for, and pay a little more.
J35 (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
there's a great story about the sacred porcupine that comes out puff the Adirondack, told by Tim Cahill in his book 'Jaguar Ripped My Flesh'. It's old Indian wisdom to never hunt porcupines. Very bad karma.

TomY, does the J30 come in a swing keel version? My father had several J boats, he was a fan. Had a J44 he sailed around the world in.
- Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
TomY said:
No they didn't, Will. At that time I don't think J boats made anything except deep keels. Later on they did build a centerboard boat.

I should have added, the J30 is also a good 'up sizer' for new sailors thinking of their second(or first) boat.

A new classic plastic group, Vintage Speed?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
J/30 & J/35. Great boats. Seriously considered both before buying the B310 and really wanted to go with the J/35. They both had more draft that I felt comfortable with for the lake I am on. J/35 is about 7 foot draft. IIRC if you want a J/30, look at hulls with numbers above about 275 +/-, they changed the cockpit layout mid run and the later boats have a better layout. J/30 Class Assn has info on it.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Passing a cat scan, Athena from our rafting partner in Vero.
F520D7CB-AD5A-48F0-8784-2C9AFFA5B6D5.jpeg

All U Get

Hagar

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 42 Olympia Washington
That Grizzly looks like he might be thinking... "Hmm, I could eat more of this grass but doggon-it that floatie thing looks nice and crunchy/chewy!"

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
That Grizzly looks like he might be thinking... "Hmm, I could eat more of this grass but doggon-it that floatie thing looks nice and crunchy/chewy!"
I wondered about that at the time, Hagar, but he went right back to his "salad". They didn't seem very concerned with things on the water and we got fairly close without them even looking up.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
20171005_161336.jpg
The Cranberry Islands from Cadillac Mountain, ME. One of my future sailing destinations aboard Dragonfly.

That Grizzly looks like he might be thinking...
We have black bears here in New Hampshire. My wife and I were standing in the middle of a river trout fishing when a two year old cub comes out of the woods to get a drink not 30 feet away. He dips his head in the steam and gets a nice long cool refreshing drink then, looks up and sees us. His eyes bug out, his jaw drops open and the hair on his head stands up like one of the kids from the Little Rascles. He lets out a raspy little squeak and falls all over himself back peddling into the woods to disappear. We stood there laughing and wishing we'd had our camera. Not the same as a grizzly at all.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I had no idea that Italian images qualified...
Here is the sea serpent of the canal.
IMG_2459.JPG
And a sail boat headed out of the lagoon towards the Adriatic.
IMG_2506.JPG

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
John, that looks like a solar panel hanging off the bow.IMGP0474.jpeg
Not a sea serpent: Lions Mane Jelly about 2 feet diameter.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wow Michael. That would foul a through hull. Do they sting their prey? Sting swimmers? At least you can see them in the water. I swam on the east coast and those buggers were invisible right up till they nailed you.