Wednesday is Photoday! Is a red sailboat, more fun?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
If you believe there is a psychology to color, red is associated with; energy, war, danger, strength, power, determination as well as passion, desire, and love. Enhances human metabolism, increases respiration rate, and raises blood pressure.
Eliza bows.jpg

Ok. Is a red boat faster? Maybe: It has been found that athletes wearing a red kit in combat sports had a bigger chance of winning than those who wore a blue kit. Red makes the person feel more aggressive and more powerful, boosting testosterone, but it also changes the perception others have.
Eliza Charlie.jpg

There's more to red: Red is also the color linked to sexuality and desire. People wearing red are consistently rated as more attractive by others. For example, waitresses in red usually get higher tips than those wearing a differently colored uniform.

Huh,... I really like this boat, a 1967 K. Aage Neilsen 40' sloop. I love the color. Here's another favorite, ESPRESSO.
espresso 2.jpg

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
TomY,

These are all very beautiful photos! I wish there were more fine craft like this in Texas. I have raced on a red J37 named Firewater in Kemah, and she is indeed quite fearsome, just as well as her crew. Ironically, our main rival is another J37 that is blue! The red paint does certainly grab attention from anyone who looks, just because it isn't every day one sees an all red boat, especially a sailboat. Also, I believe the color has a distinct way of grabbing someone's eye, and sending the signal to their brain that sort of seems to say, "Look at me...I'm fast.". A prime example would be a Ferrari. They almost all come out of the factory painted Toro Rosso red, not only because that's the car's historical paint, but also because it stands out in its own way. That's why, so I've heard, if you drive a red car (doesn't even have to be a sports car), you are more apt to be pulled over by a policeman, simply because of the color of your vehicle.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
"Is a red sailboat, more fun?"

Depends on the crew. I wonder if there is any science supporting the common notion of the meaning of a red bikini. I have only anecdotal evidence, but it is solidly positive. No, I will not share photos.

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hodgdon Bros. Alden Caravelle Seabrook, Texas
Tom, Eliza is a beauty. What make is she and when was she built? ...Simon, Firewater is a C&C not a J37 correct?
Cheers,
JZ

Nov 1, 2017
Tom, Eliza is a beauty. What make is she and when was she built? ...Simon, Firewater is a C&C not a J37 correct?
Cheers,
JZ

That she is, sir, my mistake...I got her mixed up with a J that I have raced on, and her name is Terrorist. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to race with either crew lately as Firewater hasn't been contacting me and the owner of Terrorist moved to Louisiana in June :( I miss racing a lot, and my Catalina 25 doesn't always give me the satisfaction a C&C or J37 does...I do sail a Tartan 30 that's fast, but she still needs work. I'm hoping to get her race ready before next year's Harvest Moon!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="jwing, post: 1423791, member: 125488...No, I will not share photos.[/QUOTE]

BAN HIM FOR LIFE ! :mad::cuss:

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
That she is, sir, my mistake...I got her mixed up with a J that I have raced on, and her name is Terrorist. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to race with either crew lately as Firewater hasn't been contacting me and the owner of Terrorist moved to Louisiana in June :( I miss racing a lot, and my Catalina 25 doesn't always give me the satisfaction a C&C or J37 does...I do sail a Tartan 30 that's fast, but she still needs work. I'm hoping to get her race ready before next year's Harvest Moon!
Terrorist, the aluminum IOR boat? Paul's boat? ...thinking he moved to Rockport. That is a really neat boat!

Nov 1, 2017
Terrorist, the aluminum IOR boat? Paul's boat? ...thinking he moved to Rockport. That is a really neat boat!

Yes sir! My skipper informed me that she was modeled after a J37, but has been modified out the nose to class in IOR. I sailed her once, and it was unlike anything I'd ever sailed before! Also, I heard different things from different friends; some told me he moved to Louisiana with family, and some told me he moved to Rockport. I remain unsure of where he is now, but I do know that he's a dang good sailor if I ever knew one, and his boat will forever remain in my books!

Nov 1, 2017
Hmmm, but now having done some research, she is said to be a Sparcraft...not quite a J, if I'm not mistaken ;)

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Yes sir! My skipper informed me that she was modeled after a J37, but has been modified out the nose to class in IOR. I sailed her once, and it was unlike anything I'd ever sailed before! Also, I heard different things from different friends; some told me he moved to Louisiana with family, and some told me he moved to Rockport. I remain unsure of where he is now, but I do know that he's a dang good sailor if I ever knew one, and his boat will forever remain in my books!
She was a special and pretty radical One Ton IOR boat designed by Bruce King. ...not any relationship to the J37. I will agree a very unique boat and not like anything I have sailed either!

Jan 27, 2016
Ranger 29 Bayside, Maine
Not sure about the speed and the rest of the psychology, but I like my red (20 year old awlgrip claret) boat, which is due for a repaint. This is from an Around Islesboro Race.
AIR2015_Tim2 (2).jpg

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
48' Mahogany Frehrs. Originaly named Recluta renamed Semper Fi. She was a heck of a lot of fun to sail back in the 1980s.

SemperFI 1.jpg

SemperFi 3.jpg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Cheers,
JZ
1967 K. Aage Neilsen design, 40' loa, built at DeDood boat builders, Germany. Plank on frame, bronze centerboard.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Not sure about the speed and the rest of the psychology, but I like my red (20 year old awlgrip claret) boat, which is due for a repaint. This is from an Around Islesboro Race.
. View attachment 144785
Paint it, Jim! There is no gelcoat that shines like a good red enamel paint.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
Had two red boats. Both got chalky. Chalk on white doesn't show as much :)

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
Not much going on in my world regarding sailing, but my daughter found some pictures of their boat shot during its racing heyday, I think they will be on the lookout for crew next summer....
25446299_10154932347266577_108959068169665840_n.jpg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Her hull is gray, but her trim is red...
IMG_1169.JPG

And like the OP said, my other toy is red!
Z3-Boat.JPG ...
‘Cuz red just goes faster!

Greg