Wednesday is photoday! A day in the life of a coastal cruiser.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I take digital photos nearly every day I'm on the boat. The metadata on each file(time/date), is my log.

On this day, we were underway midmorning and under sail for several hours, not far from home.

We were sailing OFF the wind at 1:15pm:
Off the wind  (1 of 1).jpg

Then I noticed 15 minutes later, we were sailing ON the wind, in nearly the same spot:
On the wind  (1 of 1).jpg

No surprise, we were anchored at dusk:
Anchored at dusk (1 of 1).jpg

That's it.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
TomY, beautiful shots, can't wait to get back out on the water!
Pyramid Point Lake Michigan's Great Bear Dunes
PyrimidPoint_1327S.jpg

Stone Port Northern Lake Huron
StonePoint_1384S.jpg

Poe Reef Light Straights of Mackinaw
PoeReefLight_1367S.jpg

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
This is a pic from last summer, a typical small harbor in Norway. This is Skudeneshavn on the island of Karmoy.

First try posting, thanks Phil for the new forum.

View attachment 133358
That's a beautiful photo, Max. Is that a pleasure boat in the foreground? Please tell us where you are these days. Your photos of the last few years have been great, to get a sense of life along the coast in the North Atlantic. I enjoy your blog. Thanks!

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
Hi Tom, It's probably a pleasure boat, but in Norway you can't be totally sure. They do a good job preserving traditional work boats. Below is a pic of the famous Oselvar boats, made of 3 overlapping planks, a method dating from the 3rd or 4th century.
We are heading back to the boat in the Netherlands next week. Will probably sail to Denmark, Sweden and S Norway this summer, but it's nice to have no agenda whatsoever this year. Go where the wind blows and the spirit moves. Thanks for your comments, I'm sure Lynnie's blog will become more active this summer.
Max

Os boats.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great image of your M17 Tod. Reminded me of my simpler days with my M15. They are fun boats. Fair winds...

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 47 NC
Great pics. As always. 80 next week. Warmest winter so far since they began records in 1944.
I love it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
DayDreamer. Thank you. Your images pleased the sole of my Michigan born Admiral...

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Dreamer, I think your horizontal hold went haywire on your last pic....

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Fry's Harbor, Santa Cruz Island, California; July 2016. In early morning a few days past full moon; hence-the waning gibbous moon of the western sky. A mere 25 n.mi. from home port.
upload_2017-2-23_8-10-33.png

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@Kings Gambit that shot brings back memories. it was almost 17 years ago I was anchored off Santa Cruz Island with some friends at a cove that looks almost identical to the one in your shot. We went to shore and had a small fire when Earl Minny from Minney's Yacht Surplus showed up in his schooner with some of his family. We all spent the evening sharing stories and listing to Earl play the ukulele as the sun set before retiring to our boats for the night.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Wow! What a treat that must have been! There are many coves and anchorages around Santa Cruz Island that look similar when there is a nice beach present. But, this one is visited quite often by the locals (even though today there's nobody here but the admiral and me, plus our friends on the companion boat who took the picture), so it might well have been the one you visited. :D It's all good (as long as everyone stays off the rocks)!!