We joined the family

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
One question so far. When running the shower sump it pumps all the water out but then when you stop the pump some water comes back in. Is this normal? Almost like it needs a check valve somewhere?
Thanks, Mike
You shouldn't need a check valve. I apologize if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but here goes. Open the Y-valve under the sink (forward bulkhead). Full right (looking from aft to forward) opens the valve to drain the refrigerator. Full left (counterclockwise) opens the valve to the shower sump. Open the raw sea water intake seacock for the head. This is where the shower sump drains. Turn on the pump (switch on the electrical panel and then the switch in the head). The pump should pump the water up above the waterline of the boat, through the Y-valve and discharge through the raw water intake. Since the loop goes above the water line, and since it can get air from the head valves on the discharge side, it should not siphon or put water back into the shower. Check/clean the filter, on the same bulkhead as the Y-valve.
Note: This plumbing, in the later models of the C-310, is different than the earlier models. The documentation that came with my boat shows the earlier installation.
I made the attached diagram of where things are in my boat. It is entirely possible your boat is different.

Attachments

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
One question so far. When running the shower sump it pumps all the water out but then when you stop the pump some water comes back in. Is this normal? Almost like it needs a check valve somewhere?
Congratulations on the purchase!

For your question check the vented loop. I suspect that the vent isn't venting so you are getting some back siphon. The vented loop is a forespar product and you can get the duckbill valves from Defender for $10. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp...ll-cap-assembly&path=-1|51|2234294&id=2681242.

That's a normal wear part. Order two because you have in the engine compartment too.

Good luck!

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Catalina 310 323 Middle River, Md
Thanks we’ll look into that. Cleaned the strainer on the pump which was pretty bad. When I was reinstalling, even under light hand tightening I cracked it. So the next step is to get a replacement strainer cap, then we will continue trouble shooting.

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Nice sporting shakedown sail today, winds sustained around 17, gusting to 23. She handled nicely. No new problems arose today, so far so good.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Our Max sail has been 45 knots of wind with double reef and 75,% headsail. Typical passages are single reef and 75 percent headsail under 35 kts of wind

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Our Max sail has been 45 knots of wind with double reef and 75,% headsail. Typical passages are single reef and 75 percent headsail under 35 kts of wind
Wow that’s some heavy wind.

Our max wind in our 27 was about 28-30. We were happy that we managed everything fine without problems. Can’t say we’re ready for 35 kt winds. But we may grow into venturing there.

This boat has in the mast furling, so I guess reefing is accomplished the same as reefing the head sail. It also only has a 135% headsail, our last boat had a 150%, this head sail seems small. It also came with a spinnaker. Never used one of them, so that will be a topic for a winter time discussion.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Wow that’s some heavy wind.

Our max wind in our 27 was about 28-30. We were happy that we managed everything fine without problems. Can’t say we’re ready for 35 kt winds. But we may grow into venturing there.
Before we left to go cruising we wouldn't leave the dock if it's forecasted to have winds over 25 knots. Now that's the norm in the Trades. More time leaves more experience. And our highest winds have been when we got caught in squalls. I also sail as a captain for tourists boats. I have been out in worse for those trips.

This boat has in the mast furling, so I guess reefing is accomplished the same as reefing the head sail. It also only has a 135% headsail, our last boat had a 150%, this head sail seems small. It also came with a spinnaker. Never used one of them, so that will be a topic for a winter time discussion.
The biggest thing with inmast furling that I see people doing wrong is ignoring the outhaul tension. Use the outhaul and the furling line (easing one while hauling the other based on direction) to get out the amount of sail you want and secure the furling line. Then set the outhaul where you want it for powering the sail. I see too many people with inmast furling with the outhaul always pulled super tight so the mainsail is like a sheet of plywood with no pocket.

Personally I would never put a 150 Genny on the 310. I think the balance would be too off. In fact we will probably go down to a 110-125 when we need a new headsail.

Never used a Spinnaker on the 310. Sounds like fun. Although I would probably buy a setup like PaulJ if I were to get one.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Congratulations. We also went from a C27 to the 310. Needed more room! We’re loving the boat and enjoying the heck out of it. The difference in construction technique between the two designs is huge, not to mention the improvements in systems.

This group is a great one, with lots of ideas and willingness to help.

Be aware that your plumbing may be different from KZW, or the plans from Catalina. Our shower sump goes under the galley sink, where it joins the valve from the reefer drain, then exits via a separate thru hull there, next to the galley sink thru hull.

KZW

May 17, 2014
I have a 155 Genoa. The winds here in the Panhandle of Florida are typically 5-15. I start reefing at 15 knots because the boat will want to round up with higher gusts. The 155 helps big time on reaches. Last spring I sailed from Pensacola to Bluewater Bay Marina (48 nm) dock to dock in 8 hours via the GCIW. It was a beam reach in winds 16 to 25. I saw the impeller read above 7.3 knots on several occasions. She gets real light on the helm at that speed.
The asymmetric, with a sock, is easy to use and I can fly it single handed below 10 knots (limitation is the autopilot). There are no worries raising it and getting it flying. The rub is getting it back down. I fall off to blank it behind the main, go forward to pull the sock down, then lower it to the deck. The autopilot must hold with all the foredeck work and, with a following sea, that is iffy.
If I were to buy a new spinnaker, I would get a roller furling asymmetric and use the forward hatch to raise and take it down.
I must confess, I wouldn't contemplate going to weather in winds above 25 knots. At that point, with the Genoa reefed to around 70 - 75%, the shape makes it of dubious value. That plus it isn't comfortable (at least for me) and I'm into comfort.
The only thing I really wish I had is a down haul when the Genoa is poled out.

Last edited:

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
The asymmetric, with a sock, is easy to use and I can fly it single handed below 10 knots (limitation is the autopilot). There are no worries raising it and getting it flying. The rub is getting it back down. I fall off to blank it behind the main, go forward to pull the sock down, then lower it to the deck. The autopilot must hold with all the foredeck work and, with a following sea, that is iffy.
We briefly looked in the spinnaker bag, looks like there is a sock. The PO said they used it once. Came with a whisker pole also, but no attachment point on the mast. We'll start looking into this once the winter sets in. Right now there are other things to focus on, mainly sailing. ;-) Winterizing will come too soon.

KZW

May 17, 2014
I bought a mast track and installed it. I'm not mechanically inclined, so if I can do it, anyone can. Let me know if you want pictures. I went with a stanchion mount for the pole, rather than a mast mount.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I would love to see photos of your mast track installed! We have a pole but it sets in the corner of the garage, and y wife would love it out of there and so would I :biggrin:.
I would probably do a mast mount but would be open to anything!
We talked with our sailmaker when we bought a new headsail and he said what Jesse stated, that a 135 is what would be best for where we sail (Lake Erie) and the conditions .

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I also installed a section of track for the spin pole. On a traditional (slab reefing) mast there is a PVC conduit pop riveted inside the front of the mast, sort of off to one side which you need to be wary of when you drill. I drilled and tapped for 1/4 - 20 UNC flat head screws.

Attachments

Last edited:

KZW

May 17, 2014
Inside the Charleston Spar main furling mast, (on my boat), there are two PVC conduits, either side of the forward centerline of the mast. No worries drilling for a track if you stay on the centerline.
I will try to remember to post pictures of the track.

Attachments

KZW

May 17, 2014
Picture of my mast track for the whisker pole. The track is four feet long. Bottom is about 1.5 ft above the deck a bit above the top of the life lines. Four feet is overkill. I fastened it with aluminum flat head hex drive bolts (Amazon). I tapped the holes I drilled and screwed in the bolts. The mast section is thin, so there isn't much thread, but it is on with 7 bolts, plus the two for the stop at either end. It didn't take very long. I have rubber chocks on the port stations to hold the pole. My Genoa is a 155 and I use a pole (Forespar) that extends to 18 ft, which coincides with the measurement of the foot of the sail. In truth, another foot of pole would be nice, but the next step up was quite pricey.

Attachments

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
Looks like you are at Maryland marina. I am just around the corner at park side. Enjoy the 310.