We are but a grain of sand...

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
But, it revolves around each of us. We are each at the very center of the universe. After all, in a universe with no limits, it is equidistant to all edges, no matter where or who you are. Does that have any significance to anything important, though?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
Albert Einstein

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Good science tends to do OK until big money gets involved, particularly large Federal grants. Then it follows the money down the trail to bad science.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think it might be a good idea to define "bad science" and "good science". I'll start.
Good science = a proactive understanding of accepted scientific principles coupled with open-minded observation of information while KNOWING that we never really know for certain that which we come to believe as truth. Then, standing upon this platform, we assemble reasonable and explainable tests to improve our assurity.

Bad Science = Believing absolutely, using information to further personal ambitions by influencing the opions of others with misguided, inappropriate, untested, unprovable data, or adopting the dogma and politically correct position without due consideration to personal observation.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I see it in a different way. Bad science is poorly designed, poorly executed experiments or studies, the results from which contain undiscovered errors leading one to unsound conclusions. Good science is basically the opposite of that. Mustn't confuse the process of scientific discovery with the often flawed advocacy of the emergent conclusions or results. Those advocates, pointed out above, may not themselves be practitioners of science, and may know very little about how it works or what its findings might indicate.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
So what you are saying is this:

Chaos theory logistics map

Science doesnt have to be perfect. Even when you know what is supposed to happen there is always one more decimal place that has almost no effect now but is essential to the outcome.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have been doing scientific research for years. My qualifications are impeccable!!

1) I have spent many hours in my personal laboratory at my house.
2) Testing my hypothesis and making adjustment to my Model.
3) I have even gotten a consensus to prove my Model works, and is repeatable!!!
4) I have even done Quality Control of my Input Variables.
5) I have enlisted a 5 Star Scientist to evaluate my results. He approved with amazement.
6) Although my Research is not Patent pending, I will not reveal to SBO members the details.

Hint: A complex chemical process.
Jim...

PS: If pressured, I might reveal some of my research.:pimp:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
:hijack:
This thread has just been hijacked by David Bowie and Queen.
Do tell more, James. Is it bio fuel or something interesting like a new dark beer made from dark matter?

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
"white chocolate beer"
YUM:dancing:

But you're still avoiding the question.
How about, a new power cell electrolytic?
Rocket fuel, super polymer for lighter sailboat construction, sugar substitute that burns fat and no after-taste, fertilizer for hydroponics for cruisers,...? Tell me when I'm close.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
We used to have a city councilman who did those home energy audits for Edison, he listed his profession on ballots as "Scientist".

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
city councilman who did those home energy audits
Sounds like a 1 Star Scientist, at best.
We would normally call those "Technicians or Assistants", who have to have knowledge of the Science.
Jim...

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Lacking any formal "Star" rating system, here's mine on a 5-Star scale. A 1 or 2 Star Scientist (if active in research) would likely be a person with only a Master of Science advanced degree. A person with only a Bachelor of Science degree might also be among those categories. Those folks often do find employment as lab technicians but generally do not run their own independent research programs. Three star and higher would likely require at least a Ph.D. in a science discipline such as Chemistry, Physics, Geology, Biology, Genetics, etc., plus a record of published research in peer-reviewed journals. Books would not count in that tally. Those folks often do run their own independent research programs. In that context, they might therefore be regarded as professional scientists, as opposed to amateur ones (no negative connotation intended).

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So using these criteria.. I qualify as a 2 or 3 star based on how the experiments I have explored that have gone horrible wrong are viewed by the selection committee. Remember once I was accused of blowing up the high school lab. But no fire and it only got one class out of school for an hour... So that one doesn't count right?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
A 1 or 2 Star Scientist (if active in research) would likely be a person with only a Master of Science degree.
Oops I just got demoted to 2 Star, but but but...
All I lack for a PhD is my dissertation , so I am almost a Dr.:)
So how about a 2.9 Star rating?
Jim...

PS: Back in my Dating period my favorite line was...
"Trust me! I am almost a Doctor":):)