Water under the galley sink

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 260 Lake Carlyle, Illinois
We have a 1999 260 that has a tiny amount of water entering the space beneath the galley sink. It looks like it is coming in thru two pin holes in the fiberglass specifically where the floor has a 90 degree lift to the higher platform beneath the sink drain. Any ideas of the source? Btw we are currently in a slip. Any ideas on fixing?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Tom,
I have a '99 260 but have not had that issue. As you probably know, @Crazy Dave Condon is our go-to man for all things Hunter trailerable.

P.S. I'm just about to read your latest blog post. I check regularly and love reading about y'all's trip. Happy New Year!

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
tgrass462,
There are many possibilities where the water could come, from the top, the button, the plumbing. I would dry it nicely up and put some paper towel on possible places where the water could come from, then check where it gets wet and go from there.

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks RG. Dried floor after checking plumbing ... Water is coming from the floor. Trying to seal it with waterproof tape and 3M 4200. Will let you know.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
If it's coming from below the floor, I'd say taste it, but you're in fresh water...Have you checked all your through hulls? (That's part of plumbing, which you have checked, but I thought I would ask.)

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
A number of possibilities come to mind.

Drain on side of thru hull valve, our head valve froze a bit and developed a small crack, grew to larger leak 2nd year.
leak in plumbing fitting - first year we had ours the pipe came loose at the elbow into the water tank - worked its way from tank area to under galley sink.
Leak at base of compression post either where post enters fitting on top of pedestal or between fitting and fibreglass of pedestal - haven't had that one yet but many others have.
Leak at top of compression post - where line for retracting keel enters - haven't repaired ours here yet. Visible when getting heavy rain. Water runs down compression post. Makes its way to various points via top of ballast tank.
Deck - hull joint at stern - another common location. - likely see more water after a longer period of motoring. -paper towels placed behind aft bulkhead would help identify.
Opening port over galley - had this leak in head and found water under head sink.

Another possibility. - hopefully not what you will find, but you could have a leak in the top of the ballast tank somewhere.

To help identify if it's from either your ballast tank or water tank you could add food dye of different colours to each. It may even leave you a coloured trail to the source.

Good luck and let us know,what you find.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
tgrass462

Can you take a photo and post pointing to where the pin holes are as that is a rare situation. I will then comment. I think we may have spoken in the past. Ugh. Old age is creeping up on my old fart itis brain.
I like to hunt. I finally got my first kill of the 2016 season. The biggest mouse in a mouse trap in the camper. Part of country living doing mouse patrol. The first occurrence paying for a new wiring harness in my truck after moving here. I have substantially reduced the population over time but deer are another issue. Total of 9 by others around the house with the biggest one 11 pointer this season. Still that baby black bear to find 400 plus pounds but momma says no to hunting. Great to know I have it trained not to come to the house thanks to that air horn he is trained to..

Jan 22, 2008
Thx Dave. Two photos attached of our galley floor. Ink pen points to pin hole leak locations at junction of horizontal and vertical surfaces. Yellow stripe is waterproof tape over 3 M 4200.
We discussed leaks with you couple of years ago . We sealed the area beneath our table (professionally) and we sealed area around the ballast tank valve in the step. Since making those 2 repairs, we had dry boat.
We are wondering where this water could be coming from. What is below the galley floor? Is that a bilge space, the top of the ballast water tank, or something else?
We appreciate any insight you can give.
Good luck hunting wide game.

Attachments

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
I don't have a 260, so I'll let CD make the official call, but it sure looks like the top of the water ballast tank. See attached photo from the Hunter archive of the 260 ballast tank lid being installed in the hull.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Actually we are not in fresh water. The boat is currently in Florida. The ballast tank was filled in muddy fresh water on the Tenn Tom. So we have salt water outside, muddy water in the ballast tank, and clean water in the frestwater tank in the V berth.
We did not taste the water from the leak, but it does not dry sticky like salt water. The water from the faucet is crystal clear. The water leaking in is a little murky. Could be bilge water or water from the ballast tank. For now that is unknown.

Dec 2, 2003
One other location that comes to mind - how is the seal around the galley sink. Ours developed a couple of small openings that allowed water spilled on the counter around the sink rim to drip down below. Particularly when washing dishes.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Water trapped under the hull liner; that sounds familiar. If it wasn't for those imperfections in the liner it probably would have gone unnoticed. The leak is described as tiny; to gain better perspective what would be the timeframe to deliver 1 cup of water? Trying to gauge if it is something that would need fixing or just a nuisance. The two holes could be enlarged a bit without puncturing down, allowed to dry and then filled with epoxy.

Jan 22, 2008
Benny I'd estimate a cup of water thru both holes in about 30 minutes. Tom G.

sdstef

Jan 31, 2013
Hunter 28 Branched Oak Lake
If you can put some food coloring dye in the ballast water, take her out sailing and get all shaken up. Check for colored water. At least you know what to cross off on the trouble shooting list.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I could not tell if the edge is that of the water ballast tank. I will assume that is the case here. Hunter advised using 5200 marine sealant when placing the pan is place tabbed in around the complete perimenter with fiberglass as I recall. This being the case, the boat has to come out of the water to do the repair. I would grind out the tabbing to the deck and water ballast tank lid cleaning off with acetone and doing then a hand sanding to a fine point. I would reglass using vinylester resin, not polyester resin. This is the key to the repair. Polyester is pourous while vinlyester is not. This is why manufactures use vinlylester below the water line but above, polyester due to a cheaper cost. I would then let it dry and spray paint with a white kryolon plastic paint if you do not have gel coat. Remember that you have to have at least 63 or more degrees F for gel coat to dry sufficiently which is why I used the plastic paint. Another key is to let the ballast tank of course drain but give it a week for it to dry out. I hope this helps you. The pain is paying more for vinylester resin and the correct fiberglass cloth as cheap plain cloth is not the way to go.

I also used cheap throw away brushes to dip into acetone to brush down the hairs of the fiberglass but be cautious not to use too much acetone unless using a resin roller small one. Take care and keep us posted.

Dec 2, 2003
If that amount of water coming is through holes, where indicated, that is the top of the ballast tank - as noted above food colouring poured in vent will confirm. Then follow Crazy Daves advice on repair. Good luck

IMG_0986.JPG

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Twalker, If water starts to pool there, more than likely it is a leak which I have seen in the past and repaired as identified. However, I will leave it up to the owner to put in red koolaid mix to make sure that is it. Then follow my advice. Where did you get that photo

Dec 2, 2003
Dave, I grabbed the photo from earlier in the thread but I have posted it myself previously from the model information located originally on the Hunter, and now Marlow-hunter "previous models/service manual site". Looks like they have since removed the manuals, photos and engineering docs. If you ever need any of the photos, documents and references that used to be there let me know as I downloaded all of it for reference to our own 260.