Water tank sources?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Maybe, maybe not. Boat hulls and what's in 'em at or below the waterline take their temperature off the water,
Let me relate a little story about my neighbor and his Sabre sailboat. He left water in his potable tank and during a hard freeze the discharge line froze and split. Then during a thaw the tank emptied through the split water line and filled the bilge with water. Much of it pumped out through the bilge pump, some of it did not. What was left pooled around the fuel line and when it froze during the next hard freeze it crushed the fuel line and split it. Within a few days his bilge filled with diesel. He spent weeks working to get the diesel fuel and stench out of his boat.

Bottom line, if you talk yourself out of the chore of winterization you are betting that you will get lucky. And if you are unlucky you will wish you had taken the time to do things right. We are in a zone where plenty of people leave their boats in the water, I am not one of those gamblers. I like to enjoy the off season.

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
I hear you. This was my first winter with the boat on the hard. I normally keep the boat in the water year round, close to home, and check it frequently. I also have a cellular boat monitor that I use to check cabin temp. It will text me when the power is interrupted. Nonetheless, it WAS nerve-wracking knowing how quickly the interior temp will plummet without power, and I won't put myself or the boat through that again.

John
I should've put that I won't try that again "on the hard." As Peggie mentioned, it's much less of a problem with the boat in the water, although it still bears close monitoring. I do like to sail in the winter and the boat has a pretty effective HVAC system, but that only works with the boat floating, and not all that well if the Bay's beginning to freeze!

John

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
When I bought my boat the survey identified that the fuel tank was leaking. Before I could get a word in about drop shipping a new tank, the previous owner emptied the tank and applied some epoxy to the pinholes. When I inherited the boat there was diesel in the bilge which was a pain to remove due to the depth. I added those bugs that eat diesel, then some soap, then pumped it out. I then taped a soap filled dishwand to a pole and scrubbed the walls as best as I could and rinsed it again. Not fun. Not fun at all. Every S2 owner who still has an original metal tank needs to put an absorbant pad under in front of it and under it and monitor it. The holes formed under the tie down straps and can not be observed.

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
While the boat was on the hard, I pulled the fuel tank and had it inspected by a local marine welder. He felt it was in fine shape, so, after a thorough cleaning, I reinstalled it. I've made access to it easier, so I won't mind pulling it in a couple of years if I get worried. I was amazed that my engine ran at all, as the fuel lines were almost totally blocked with diesel sludge. The engine starts like a dream after I got all that out.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
My fuel lines were replaced before I bought the boat so no worries there. Glad your tank was okay. Do you have some sort of felt between the straps and the tank? I think those got wet on my boat causing a hydrolysis situation (aluminum tank, stainless straps connected by wet felt).

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
I bought some rubber gas tank insulation bands, but they were too thick. I ended up using several layers of tar paper, cut into strips.
It was my hard lines that were blocked up. Soaking them in parts cleaner took care of that.
Best deal was having an old electric fuel pump already plumbed into the system. I never knew why, as it wasn't connected to power; however it worked a treat both moving fuel from the tank to jerry cans so I could pull the tank, and then to prime the system once it was all back together.
Just back from my first solo sail from the boat's new home, at Southall Landings Marina, in Hampton, VA. It was a bit dodgy backing in between the pilings to tie back up, but until then, it was a very nice sail.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
If you are still considering tank replacement and your water system quality is important to you, have a stainless steel tank fabricated. Patriot Marine Fabricating did my Aluminum fuel tank and SS water tank to my exact specifications. Luckily, they are local for me, so shipping was not an issue. The price for both was perfectly reasonable and fair in my opinion. The price differential wasn't enough to change my decision. Aluminum is fine for fuel, not good for water. Faced with replacement, there is no way I would use aluminum or plastic for water. I would live with it if there was no reason for replacement, I suppose. This is my opinion, I'm sure others would differ. :cool: The SS tank is substantially heavier, though ... probably a factor for racing boats.

Sep 17, 2017
Pearson 28-2 washington nc
I think the above poster is mistaken that aluminum is ok for diesel fuel. Many have corroded. I've had a Vetus flexible triangular water tank for 31 years and it's been perfect. Never any odor. I add 1tsp clorox per 20 gal fill-up. Most clorox is way way overdone.