Water tank sensors

Jul 29, 2012
hunter 37 cherubini Apollo Beach
Replaced the level sensors about 4 years ago. Within a year they stopped working. When I pulled them out they were full of all kinds of mineral deposits preventing the float from moving properly. Being too busy to worry about it then I moved on to other work.

Today I pulled them again and the entire float on both of them is missing.

Did I have cheap sensors? Has anyone else experienced this. Any recommendations on a unit that will last?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Mine work great and no deposits on diesel, hold and water tanks, but I have had them only for 3 years.
____
I replaced old ones but the new design of stainless shaft and better float, that don't swell solved the problems of OEM installed that were +12 year old.
_____
full of all kinds of mineral deposits
I hope that was your water tank sensor and not diesel.
Jim...

PS: For the $$ they work fine for me.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I would be more worried about what all is in the water (assume you are not using it for drinking) and where that pesky float ended up.

My boat does not have gauges on the water tanks, but I can see open up the settees and see the water level pretty easy.

Greg

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I would be more worried about what all is in the water
:plus::thumbup:

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was water to get mineral deposits.

Wema did have a problem on the old style plastic shaft.
_____
Is your water tank Aluminum? If so, it may be excess Chlorine in your water source making Aluminum Chloride Crystals. Good news there is a remedy to clean out the crystals.
Jim...

Jul 29, 2012
hunter 37 cherubini Apollo Beach
That is the answer. Yes, aluminum tanks and at the time I loaded the water up with chlorine to flush/clean the system.

Now its just plain fresh water.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
With sensors in a constant state of failure, you could always go old school and install a water level using clear hose and attaching it to the bottom of the tank. Then just run the hose to a convenient location in the boat. The level in the hose will be the level of water in the tank. Sharpee to mark the empty / full levels and a valve to close the hose your good to go. No electricity. No corrosion.