Water seeping through bilge

Oct 31, 2017
Pearson 28-2 52 Annapolis, MD
I've been looking at a 1987 Hunter 28.5 for three weeks. Great cosmetic condition! However, after two in-depth inspections, I've noticed a crack and chip in the fiberglass located on the side of the bilge, which is below the waterline, causing water to seep into the bilge. Very, very slow seepage. I've cleaned the crack/chip with a rag and watched it slowly seep water. Additionally, I see where the owner had applied a lot of resin beneath a washer to the forward most keel bolt - this also concerns me.

The owner admits that water is seeping into the haul at the bilge. This also worries me because the boat is kept in the water 365 days a year. With the cold weather, the water will freeze and expand the fiberglass.

I was going to move forward with a survey this weekend. Knowing this, would you save time and move on to the next boat?

Please see attached picture.

Attachments

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
by the time you finished grinding out all the cracks that compose that area's fiberglass... i dunno. a year ago i'd have proceeded. now i don't think i would have. heh.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Move on to another boat. I am sure there are several other 28' Hunters around. Water seeping into the hull below the waterline is not good, and can be a very expensive fix, unless you can do it yourself.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
It is a buyers market!

Sailboatlistings.com
Craigslist.org
eBay.com
BoatTrader.com

etc.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
If the crack is near the aft end of the keel, run away. And unless the boat is a really, really good price, run away. Honestly, unless you get a good look at the outside of the keel root and can evaluate the extent of damage, that should be a deal breaker. Hunters are not the most solidly built boats, a good grounding could cause the damage you are talking about and would reduce the value of the boat to the point of making it a total loss.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
After seeing the picture.......Next! No need to start with visible problems because any boat you choose will have things you don't see that will need fixing. That is a "given".

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
It’s common for Hunters of this age on the 28.5/31/34 to have water trapped in the liner. Several articles on the hunter forum about removing false bilge to release trapped water between hull and liner. Go to Suggest reviewing these to see if it’s something you want to take on. Go to owners resources tab then owner modifications and search 28.5, 31/83-87, and 34 for more info on these era boats.

https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=model&mid=31&mn=34

Another area to look at is the compression post. Also as others suggested if you do go with a full survey then make sure no keel to hull damage. Good luck.