Water regularly in the bilge

Sep 29, 2018
Catalina 30 Annapolis
I am considering purchasing a 1985 Catalina 30 as my first keelboat. The current owner says there is always water in the bilge and it runs once or twice per day. He has owned the boat for 3 or 4 years. Is this something I should be concerned about? I haven't seen the boat yet as it's quite a drive from my home. Thanks for your reply.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
It’s something you should investigat. Depending on its SOURCE/CAUSE it may be something to be concerned about, or an easy fix.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Worth investigating. A leaky stub keel joint could be very serious. Leaky chain plates, could be serious. Leaky stancions that need to be rebed are a nuisance. Misadjusted stuffing box that drips too much, a simple fix.

Assuming the boat is in salt water., checking for salinity can give you an idea where the water is coming from. Fresh water probably less of a concern vs salt water. But salt water can still be something simple like a stuffing box. You might investigate the area around the prop / stuffing box to see if that area is wet and if you see any water drops when the boat is in the slip.

Good luck with your investigation. Let us know how it goes.

Greg

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I had two boats that were 100% dry for years. It took a little work to get them that way. Not much....
But one of them would get a few gallons in two of the 5 crash tanks each year. One of the tanks I knw the reason, the other I never figured out.
My F-24 makes water into the amas anytime we sail it hard. This is normal, since they have vents and the amas go under and "pant" a little. But I'm also getting a gallon/month of rainwater leaks in the main hullo that are puzzeling me. I've chased a few down with a hose, but more work remains.
I would not nix a boat for a few minor leaks, but I would figure on a little work. As others have pointed out, just make sure it is not keel or rudder tube. If it is shaft seal, that is too much.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Lots of good advice here. I would just add that salt water is far more corrosive than fresh - this would need more urgent action.

Apr 26, 2018
Catalina Catalina 30 Bayview
The Catalina 30TR I share with owner always has some water in the bilge. I have pumped it, dried it with towels and it made a small bit everyday over a week. I don't know where it is coming from, but it will be on the list of thing s to do. Its not sinking, thats all I know.

May 7, 2011
A SMALL bit - define.
And more info. A dripless stuffing box?!
MK-? Year?
Does potable water pump cycle?
Complete info helps us help you.

Apr 9, 2016
Catalina 350 48 Santa Barbara
I have a Catalina 350 and had the same problem. It took me awhile but I finally found it. The plastic elbow coming off the water heater was cracked and when the water pressure pump was on it just sent a very small amount into the bilge. The bilge pump would go on every few hours. Replaced it with a new fitting, not plastic and no water in the bilge.

May 7, 2011
PS: they’ll also provide the tips HOW to locate specific leak sources. Been there, got the t shirt.

It’s something you should investigate.
I usually try to avoid fluff discussions like this. Without COMPLETE information/descriptions/symptoms we end up jumping into rabbit holes that lead underground to WAY outside the left field fence, only to find out when the final shot clock runs down it becomes clear that the boat and problem are back behind the uprights (to mix metaphors.). It does nothing but confuse the discussion and waste jawbone and brain power.

Da dum < (stepping off the soapbox)

HOWEVER, I will say that unless you’re in a climate (no info) that rains every day, your bilge pump WON’T be running 2x a day from leaky fittings ( deck, coachroof top, or otherwise.) You likely have another type source to look for like a stuffing box, potable water system, sea water cooling system, water heater system, etc. (including all equip, hoses, and connections.)

If you want really good insight from 1600+ C30 owners who have been thru every conceivable issue and have about 2 thousand years combined experience fixing their C30s, log onto the IC30A forum.
https://groups.io/g/catalina30

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
A SMALL bit - define.
And more info. A dripless stuffing box?!
MK-? Year?
Does potable water pump cycle?
Complete info helps us help you.
It doesn’t sound like the OP has actually seen the boat yet. The seller mentioned the wet bilge to him.

Greg

May 7, 2011
Greg

The quote wasn't related to the original question, it was in reply to the current (co)owner who obviously knows those answers.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
He says it's a far drive to see the boat. If the current owner doesn't know the source, stay away - and don't waste the gas. One important thing I've learned.....don't buy a boat with a wet bilge. It's just not worth it. If it's an easy fix, then the current owner should have done it. If he didn't, then I'd wonder what else is on the extreme deferred maintenance list.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would suggest a second idea to @nightowle ’s comment.

Do not pay extra for a boat with a wet bilge.

If you knowingly buy a boat with water in the bilge and pay less understanding that a project is part of the process then you may be surprised at the benefit of a simple fix.

My boat was a great example. Water and oil in bilge. Leaking engine (oil source). Dripping stuffing box (water source). Offered less for a boat with problems.

Tightened oil pan, new valve cover gasket, stopped oil leak. No longer (like previous owner) let oil leak into bilge when changing oil.

Emptied 175 gallons of oil/water ( yes that was a pain hauling 5 gallon buckets of the stuff to the marina recycling container one Saturday, sweat labor investment ), serviced stuffing box. Now down to about 4 inches of water in a 4 ft plus deep bilge. With no leaks. This too will be solved. May even find a few new tools for the boat box (at least one screw driver handle can be seen with a flash light).

Bilge Project on the road to being solved.

Big plus, 3 years of sailing adventures and a lot of new friends. As an aside, I love working on a boat project. Solving the problems, getting and sharing ideas with other boat owners.

Good luck.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I am considering purchasing a 1985 Catalina 30 as my first keelboat. The current owner says there is always water in the bilge and it runs once or twice per day. He has owned the boat for 3 or 4 years. Is this something I should be concerned about? I haven't seen the boat yet as it's quite a drive from my home. Thanks for your reply.
Prior to 87 or 88, Catalina used wood in the keel stub. It was encapsulated with epoxy but a common practice in bilges is to mount bilge pumps, pump switches and hoses to the bottom of the bilge with screws. If the screw penetrates into the wood, water can seep in and rot the wood. This allows the keel to separate slightly from the stub causing the famous Catalina smile. (For this reason, when I was looking for my C30 I only looked at 89 or newer boats).
There is a procedure draw up by Catalina for removing the wood and replacing it with layers of fiberglass and epoxy.
Catalina also used a wooden block under the mast compression post. This also sits in the bilge, is encapsulated in epoxy and can rot. I don't think rotting of this block is as common as the keel stub.
So that is what you need to know about this boat with water in the bilge.
I believe most boats have wet bilges but they can be kept dry with a bit of work.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
A typical float switch comes on at 3 inches water depth and shuts off at 3/4", so there's always going to be some. The only legit source should be the prop stuffing which is 1 drop per minute which will not trigger the pump twice a day. If the packing is leaking badly it could be the source but that takes less than a minute to fix so it would have been done, Right?

May 7, 2011
Prior to 87 or 88, Catalina used wood in the keel stub. It was encapsulated with epoxy but a common practice in bilges is to mount bilge pumps, pump switches and hoses to the bottom of the bilge with screws. If the screw penetrates into the wood, water can seep in and rot the wood.
Correction - CTY used no epoxy in the keel buss or on the compression post support. If it had encapsulated the mast support it wouldn’t rot (water attacks it from the outside.)

The rotting of the keel buss wood plank and the smile aren’t exactly as described. Been there, removed/rebed my keel in 5200 and got the tee shirt.

Unlike the mast support, encapsulating the keel wood (reportedly both planks and plywood had been used) in anything would not have much effect because of the way it is attacked. Bilge water travels down the keel bolts threads, not a tiny, tight threaded hole from a pump mount. The margin between the thread crest and valley, creates eight long continuous “open tunnels” for water to get to the keel buss and joint bedding.

My plank was not bad, damp but not rotted, but my keel joint was nearly half gone. Meaning punky and like wet chalk when the fairing was ground off and I got into the joint bedding. It’s just a polyester chopped mix bedding which is the cause. Polyester resin is hydophyllic (attracts) and degrades when remaining soaked (same reason hull blisters occur.). Epoxy resin is not.

Interestingly the worst point was the aft 1/2 of the joint, not the typical smile area (my aft keel bolt nut was finger tight, which undoubtedly contributed to the joint attack.) The forward 1/2 of the joint (smile area) was competent.

The joint and any crack/drips that manifest themselves when on the hard (water leaked down from a 1’ portside crack in the fairing) are from the inside out, not from water getting in from below. In my case (former northern boat) the joint deterioration was no doubt accelerated due to freeze/expansion/thaw over 10 years while she was pre loved.

Anyone interested in more info/fixed on the keel buss or compression post support issues, there’s hours of discussion on the IC30A forum there for a search. Also on the C34.org forum and techwiki site.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Thanks for the clarification Ken. The idea that the water seeped into the wood of the keel stub from old penetrations into the bottom of the bilge came from one of the many threads I read on the subject.

May 7, 2011
Ward

Certainly possible but they would have to be numerous/open in order to result in the type damage to the wood/joint bedding. The bolt threads are an inherent design issue.

And naturally any equip screwed to the floor of the bilge should have the penetration adequately sealed (butyl, etc.)

Last edited: