Registered users don't see ads
  1. Welcome to the new Cruising Sailors Forum, for experienced sailors and cruisers. 2009-2016 forum archive is now online.

Water Pump Noise

Discussion in 'Cruising Sailors' started by Sailgunner, Jun 5, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Sailgunner

Sailgunner

Joined Jun 4, 2004
    820 posts, 27 likes
    Hunter 410
    US Punta Gorda
    Has anyone figured out how to reduce the fresh water pump noise? These things are fastened to the hull and vibrate throughout the boat. They have rubber bases but they don't do much.

2. dlochner

dlochner

Joined Jan 11, 2014
    2,249 posts, 835 likes
    Sabre 362
    113 US Fair Haven, NY
    What kind of pump do you have? The diaphragm piston pumps that are belt driven are noisy. We replaced ours with a ShurFlo Aqua King and found it to be much quieter and we eliminated the accumulator tank.

Another option is provide greater insulation from the hull. Perhaps build a shelf and install the pump on the shelf so it is not in contact with the hull.

3. Ken Cross

Ken Cross

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    1,680 posts, 215 likes
    Hunter 30
    US Everett, WA
    Put a small shelf under the pump mounted on soft rubber feet. Otherwise check in at an RV parts store.

Ken

4. Mark Maulden

Mark Maulden

Joined Jan 25, 2011
    1,634 posts, 135 likes
    S2 11.0A
    US Anacortes, WA
    You might put it on rubber feet. But the bolts still come in contact with structure. You need rubber feet on the bolt head, an oversize hole, and feet under the nut. The only thing to touch boat is rubber. Personally, I let mine make some noise. I want to know when its on..

5. odaydokay

odaydokay

Joined Jul 5, 2011
    292 posts, 16 likes
    Oday 28
    US Madison, CT
    I agree. The only thing would add is be sure you have a diaphragm tank, for example a 1 gallon Groco. This cuts the number of cycles way down, thus also the wear on the pump and, in this case, the number of times it comes on and irritates you.

6. dlochner

dlochner

Joined Jan 11, 2014
    2,249 posts, 835 likes
    Sabre 362
    113 US Fair Haven, NY
    Well sort of, adding a pressure tank will cut down on the number of cycles however, it will not cut down on the total run time as run time is based on the volume of water pumped which is the same as whether the pump runs for 10 30 second runs or 1 5 minute run. The frequency of pump irritations will be lower, but the duration of those irritations will be longer.

7. Sailgunner

Sailgunner

Joined Jun 4, 2004
    820 posts, 27 likes
    Hunter 410
    US Punta Gorda
    I worked on it a little. Installed some hose between the mounts and the hull (actually not directly connected to the hull). It seems a little better but I think the noise follows the piping from the pump. What would probably help is a flexible connection to the pump but don't know of anything compatible with the boat piping. BTW it is an Aqua King pump.

8. dlochner

dlochner

Joined Jan 11, 2014
    2,249 posts, 835 likes
    Sabre 362
    113 US Fair Haven, NY
    Do you have rigid PVC piping? There are ways to connect to hose to pipes, might take some time and head scratching the hardware store.

9. odaydokay

odaydokay

Joined Jul 5, 2011
    292 posts, 16 likes
    Oday 28
    US Madison, CT
    Depends what you want I guess. On my boat I pressurize the tank before we go to bed, that way the pump will not fire at all through the night, as opposed to firing every time someone needs water. The other aspect is that wear on a pump typically relates directly to number of starts. A tank and longer but fewer starts/runs can be a real benefit in that regard.

10. dirt rd

dirt rd

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    42 posts, 9 likes
    Gulfstar 47
    US NC
    I like it quiet, BUT , I want to hear it run, especially at night. Identify leaks . Should not run unless you are using water.

11. rickff

rickff

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    8 posts, 5 likes
    I'm with the above poster and want to hear leaks. sometimes, its a slow leak
    so the pump cycles on a bit. othe times, I've had a clamp on the back of the water
    heater fail, or a fitting on the inline chlorine filter. Its helped to stop problems before
    they become bigger problems. And remember, always turn the pump off when leaving
    the boat

12. odaydokay

odaydokay

Joined Jul 5, 2011
    292 posts, 16 likes
    Oday 28
    US Madison, CT
    The leaks I have had could never be heard by the human ear, you know a tiny pinhole leak in the line somewhere out of sight. The way I found it was by pressurizing the tank before bed, awaking in the morning to find no or little pressure, i.e. water in the diaphragm tank. So by having such a tank you have an ongoing pressure tester in a sense, but heck, to each his own.

13. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    6,190 posts, 571 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    One time in a marina we 4 went for dinner and a food run. Came back to no water from the faucets. The pump ran, but one crew said it was runnng when we left! DUH! Loose clamp had pumped the freshly topped off full 40-gallons into the floor pan. No major damage, though. Yeah, I wanna hear it run.

14. Ken Cross

Ken Cross

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    1,680 posts, 215 likes
    Hunter 30
    US Everett, WA
    One thing we found on airplanes to eliminate noise from hydraulic lines put an S turn in the lines and minimise the places they contact structure.

Ken

15. odaydokay

odaydokay

Joined Jul 5, 2011
    292 posts, 16 likes
    Oday 28
    US Madison, CT
    And oh yes, we never leave the boat without turning off the fresh water pump breaker and even if we did, it will come off with the master power switch. Only thing that bypasses that is the bilge pump.

16. Hagar

Hagar

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    43 posts, 31 likes
    Catalina 42
    US Olympia Washington
    We have a constant speed pump with 1 gallon accumulator like others have described. The pump was pretty noisy until I moved it from a bulkhead to a plywood pad glued (one place where 5200 is a good application) to the hull below the waterline. That took care of most of the noise. Just enough that we can hear it which is a good thing.

20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.