Water Pump Cycling...

Aug 23, 2014
Catalina 310 Guntersville, Alabama
Just wondering what is "normal" for the water pump on the 310. I get good pressure at all faucets. The pump comes on when you open the faucet and water delivers in a steady stream. When not using water the pump cycles on for 2-3 seconds every 30-40 minutes... is this normal? Thanks for your comments.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Not really normal. Check for:

1. A leak downstream of the pump (faucets or perhaps a hose perforation)
2. A leaking check valve on the discharge of the pump.

Aug 23, 2014
Ok. I was thinking it meant I have a small leak in the system. Thanks for the confirmation.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
You might also have to clean the diaphragm of the pump. Also check the cockpit shower. You might have a failed valve in that shower that needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Three seconds every 30-40 minutes; that seems very normal. Let's say it is not frequent enough to warrant going around looking for a pin hole leak in the plumbing system.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Don't forget to check the cockpit shower. More than once, I have had the pump recycle and found the shower was not shut off completely.

Aug 23, 2014
Yes Benny... my thoughts exactly. Don't think I will skip my beer today to track this leak down.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
we do not leave the pump/water on all the time, only when we need it.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
It's worth looking for a leak...if that is what it is. I just finished fabricating a new floor board to replace a rotted one caused by a small leak in the vicinity of the pump which migrated under the board and wasn't discovered until it was toast. And, I had epoxied the bottom of the boards, but it still manged to compromise it. Probably already started when I epoxied it.
Having said that, it could be a pressure switch beginning to fail or (close your eyes) the water heater beginning to leak. Good luck!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Just wondering what is "normal" for the water pump on the 310. I get good pressure at all faucets. The pump comes on when you open the faucet and water delivers in a steady stream. When not using water the pump cycles on for 2-3 seconds every 30-40 minutes... is this normal? Thanks for your comments.
Examine the connectors, especially at the hot side at the hot-water heater. Constant heating there can stiffen the water tubes if plastic and cause them to crack. Use your hands to run along the tubes to feel for wetness. Took me a long time to find my last such leak. My heater from the AC stays off now until I need it to heat up water for something such as shower or dishes; then I switch it (AC) back off.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
When not using water the pump cycles on for 2-3 seconds every 30-40 minutes... is this normal?
Yes...if you have a leak. Pump should only come on when pressure drops, Check all connections and faucets.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Yes Benny... my thoughts exactly. Don't think I will skip my beer today to track this leak down.
One of the POs of our boat let a leak at the transom shower destroy the water heater. Good news is that we got a practically new water heater as a result. I agree that it's a pain, but it's worth convincing yourself that there either is or isn't a leak.

Aug 23, 2014
Yes. I do believe there is a small leak somewhere in the system. We just spent 5 wonderful days and nights on the boat and I just can't bring myself to start another fix it project. Maybe next week I will get back in fix it mode. Thanks all for your input.
Neal

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Yes. I do believe there is a small leak somewhere in the system. We just spent 5 wonderful days and nights on the boat and I just can't bring myself to start another fix it project. Maybe next week I will get back in fix it mode. Thanks all for your input.
Neal
Finding that perfect balance of sailing and fixing can be tricky!!!

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I had a strange situation where some gelatinous gobs of something from the water hose at the marina caused blockage in my system which for some reason caused the very short hot water hose to keep popping off at the water heater. Big hassle because no matter how tight I made the hose clamps it just popped off again. Usually it was when both pump and water heater were on. I tried replacing the hose to no avail. Had to drain and rinse the whole system, replace water pump (was original and needed it) and then started filtering everything I put into the water tank. This was 3 years ago and no issues since. Water hoses at the marina grow all kinds of nasty stuff so filtering is a good precaution.
bob

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I had a strange situation where some gelatinous gobs of something from the water hose at the marina caused blockage in my system which for some reason caused the very short hot water hose to keep popping off at the water heater. Big hassle because no matter how tight I made the hose clamps it just popped off again. Usually it was when both pump and water heater were on. I tried replacing the hose to no avail. Had to drain and rinse the whole system, replace water pump (was original and needed it) and then started filtering everything I put into the water tank. This was 3 years ago and no issues since. Water hoses at the marina grow all kinds of nasty stuff so filtering is a good precaution.
bob
I prefilter all the water going into my water tank. Very often great globs of green algae plop out of the filter when I disconnect it from the marina hose.